Sean Sutton Interested in LU!!!

One of the Sutton kids is a great basketball coach, but unfortunately, it's not Sean.  He took the OSU team from National Championship contenders to irrelevant in the Big 12 in just a couple of years.  He's a better coach than Pat Knight, but I think Lamar can do better, if they look at coaching records instead of last names.

[quote name="sleepy" post="987321" timestamp="1300890287"]
Interesting that that is West's list.  I was told that the DWI will literally cost him the job.  This came from Sean's mouth.
[/quote]

It probably cost Gillespie the job at UH also. Otherwise they are just dumb for hiring Dickey (no offense Hoopinsider).

[quote name="coachacola" post="987307" timestamp="1300888567"]
Here's the list from Bob West:

Pat Knight
Sean Sutton
Don Skelton
Matt Cross
Tom Abatemarco
Steve Green
Alvin Brooks
Glenn Cyprien

http://panews.com/sports/x449500653/Pat-Knight-biggest-name-eying-Lamar
[/quote]

Pat Knight-NO
Sean Sutton-NO
Don Skelton-YES
Matt Cross-YES
Tom Abatemarco-YES
Steve Green-I know little about him
Alvin Brooks-NO
Glenn Cyprien-NO

Of the 3, Abatemarco is the best over all in recruiting and coaching. But he has issues, his mouth. And will the community accept him back?

Cross style fits the current team so some succes could come quickly. However he is a gamble, DI is very different from the lower Divisions.

Skelton style could work in the SLC or WAC. However I think it would take him 2-3 years to build.

[quote name="sleepy" post="987331" timestamp="1300890862"]
If LU hires back Abatemarco they have literally lost their minds!
[/quote]Unlike the last 20 years of hires. Either we get the best coach or get use to losing just to be PC.

[quote name="UNLV" post="987376" timestamp="1300896078"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=82161.msg987331#msg987331 date=1300890862]
If LU hires back Abatemarco they have literally lost their minds!
[/quote]Unlike the last 20 years of hires. Either we get the best coach or get use to losing just to be PC.
[/quote]

Sorry UNLV, but Abatemarco would not be a good move and I would rather give a try on Cross than to go back there.  Just don't think he has the personality or stability to be a head coach.  Great assistant though!  If you remember, and maybe you are to young, he was the "top ranked assistant who was ready to be a head coach" in the nation according to the pundits when LU hired him.  Everyone thought he was going to exceed what Tubbs and Foster had already done.  And when LU hired Foster from his assistant's job in Arkansas, he was a very hightly regarded assistant at that time.  Nothing like what we are attracting right now.

[quote name="UNLV" post="987326" timestamp="1300890757"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=82161.msg987307#msg987307 date=1300888567]
Here's the list from Bob West:

Pat Knight
Sean Sutton
Don Skelton
Matt Cross
Tom Abatemarco
Steve Green
Alvin Brooks
Glenn Cyprien

http://panews.com/sports/x449500653/Pat-Knight-biggest-name-eying-Lamar
[/quote]

Pat Knight-NO
Sean Sutton-NO
Don Skelton-YES
Matt Cross-YES
Tom Abatemarco-YES
Steve Green-I know little about him
Alvin Brooks-NO
Glenn Cyprien-NO

Of the 3, Abatemarco is the best over all in recruiting and coaching. But he has issues, his mouth. And will the community accept him back?

Cross style fits the current team so some succes could come quickly. However he is a gamble, DI is very different from the lower Divisions.

Skelton style could work in the SLC or WAC. However I think it would take him 2-3 years to build.
[/quote]Okay, your opinions are being retired. Especially if you're giving Tom Abatemarco a green light. ::)

In seven years of head coaching, Abadremarko (I just love that nickname Al Caldwell gave him) has amassed an impressive 70-121 record for a whopping .367 winning percentage with a grand total of *1* winning season (and that was with a class than Pat Foster brought in).

I'm not dismissing Abatemarco because of the perception that he is a jerk (which in this case perception is reality).  Heck, I think Bobby Knight is a jerk.  But if he would consistently get the Cardinals into the Dance, he could insult Southeast Texas all he wants as far as I am concerned.

If Bubba Skelton wants the job, I think it ought to be his. He's been a sucessful coach at the Juco level, he was a good assistant here, he brought in most of the good players that Lamar has had over the past 5 years. I was worried that he wouldn't want the job because of his relationship with Roc, but since he's applied, I think it should be his job.

[quote name="weslinder" post="987442" timestamp="1300903882"]
If Bubba Skelton wants the job, I think it ought to be his. He's been a sucessful coach at the Juco level, he was a good assistant here, he brought in most of the good players that Lamar has had over the past 5 years. I was worried that he wouldn't want the job because of his relationship with Roc, but since he's applied, I think it should be his job.
[/quote]

Support skelton all you want but saying that he brought most of the good players in over the last 5 years is not why we should hire him because there werent that many that good and the records prove it.

The one year they were good though -sKelton's players were the heart and sould of the team and he was on the bench.

My five finalists out of that bunch would be Cyprien, Cross, Knight, Green and Skelton.  After that, you have to go by interview as there are question marks on each of them.

Whats truly wrong with Sean Sutton....an Article from Pat Knight agrees that he got screwed Oklahoma State. And for all of you people that are so gung-ho sports...get your facts straight Sean Sutton does not have a DWI or DUI that was his father. He could run things first class, and all of you only care about the people that you know any information about like Skelton or Abertamarco or Cross. Sean was the Head Coach Designate for a reason at Oklahoma State, because he ran things to win for his father. He brought in the number one recruiting class in the country a few years back but was never given the chance to let them play.

[quote name="southland.worldwide" post="987453" timestamp="1300904663"]
Whats truly wrong with Sean Sutton....an Article from Pat Knight agrees that he got screwed Oklahoma State. And for all of you people that are so gung-ho sports...get your facts straight Sean Sutton does not have a DWI or DUI that was his father. [/quote]

[b]You are correct. Sean's arrest was not for DUI, it was for attempting to possess dangerous controlled substance.[/b]

[quote author=southland.worldwide link=topic=82161.msg987453#msg987453 date=1300904663]
He could run things first class, and all of you only care about the people that you know any information about like Skelton or Abertamarco or Cross. Sean was the Head Coach Designate for a reason at Oklahoma State...[/quote]

[b]Yes, there was a reason.  Because his dad, Eddie, the one with the DWI, made that designation.[/b]

Look, as far as the candidates that have been listed, I actually like Sean Sutton over most of the others.  If we are going to tap into a coaching legacy, I'd much rather have Eddie's son than Bobby's.  However, don't make it sound like that if Lamar doesn't hire Sean Sutton, that they are turning away a basketball god.

It was not a DWI.  It was felony drug charges he had placed against him. That is what is causing this.  Although he agreed to a plea deal and as long as he stays clean through 2013 he will have no felony on record this is what is keeping him from getting this job.

[quote name="sleepy" post="987445" timestamp="1300904183"]
[quote author=weslinder link=topic=82161.msg987442#msg987442 date=1300903882]
[/quote]

Support skelton all you want but saying that he brought most of the good players in over the last 5 years is not why we should hire him because there werent that many that good and the records prove it.
[/quote]amen!

[quote name="sleepy" post="987462" timestamp="1300905989"]
It was not a DWI.  It was felony drug charges he had placed against him. That is what is causing this.  Although he agreed to a plea deal and as long as he stays clean through 2013 he will have no felony on record this is what is keeping him from getting this job.
[/quote]Thats a serious offense

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder