Who will be SETX player of the year

[quote name="ST4life" post="979982" timestamp="1299682428"]
[quote author=InStitches link=topic=81352.msg979838#msg979838 date=1299640758]
That player of the year will usually come from a state champion and I will reserve that choice for obvious reasons. All the teams arent done yet.
[b]Team of the year: Evadale[/b]-last one standing and no one gave them a chance. Just read all previous posts...............
Coach of the Year: no question about it-Laurence Williams-Evadale
Player of the year:TBD      8)

I dont want to hear its just  1A either. Its just as tough to make it to Austin in 1A as it is in all the other classes.

Let the argument begin
[/quote]
play-off run is one thing being the best team in SETX is another
I could name 8 or more teams in SETX that are better than Evadale
[/quote]There is always one m$$$$$$$$$$$ trying to ice skate up hill.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Youknowwho" post="980087" timestamp="1299689690"]
[quote author=ST4life link=topic=81352.msg979982#msg979982 date=1299682428]
[quote author=InStitches link=topic=81352.msg979838#msg979838 date=1299640758]
That player of the year will usually come from a state champion and I will reserve that choice for obvious reasons. All the teams arent done yet.
[b]Team of the year: Evadale[/b]-last one standing and no one gave them a chance. Just read all previous posts...............
Coach of the Year: no question about it-Laurence Williams-Evadale
Player of the year:TBD      8)

I dont want to hear its just  1A either. Its just as tough to make it to Austin in 1A as it is in all the other classes.

Let the argument begin
[/quote]
play-off run is one thing being the best team in SETX is another
I could name 8 or more teams in SETX that are better than Evadale
[/quote]Nobody from Evadale cares if you could name 20 teams that are better . Evadale is going to state and nobody else from southeast texas is.
[/quote]

Then rename the award "Farthest in the Play-offs" ;) Maybe we should have a "Team of the Year" award for [u]1A-2A[/u] & [u]3A-5A[/u]?

[quote name="stevenash" post="979804" timestamp="1299636967"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=81352.msg979796#msg979796 date=1299636631]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=81352.msg979755#msg979755 date=1299633145]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=81352.msg979709#msg979709 date=1299627571]
Coach of the Year..Williams Evadale.... Player of the year Stallworth...team of the year....Nederland Bulldogs....Poster o f the year Stevenash......Broadcaster of the year...Lazeek....D.Bag of the year....Bobcat05.....
[/quote]

With this valued award, I can now become a major sports writer.
[/quote]

ludicrous! you've been my #1 sports authority for going on two years!
[/quote]
Would that be because I am such a grammatically correct, politically correct, and mild mannered authority?

[/quote]

mostly.  plus i respect any die-hard fan of HJ.

Isn't this post about 'PLAYER OF THE YEAR'? This is not about the 'Team of theYear' or 'MVP' of a team or district. There may be (as someone said) 20 players from the area who are better than any Evadale player. Doesn't mean that a player from Evadale can't be 'The Player of the Year'. I honestly don't know how 'Player of the Year' is defined. I don't know who deserves it, b/c I don't know what it means.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="980190" timestamp="1299704230"]
Isn't this post about 'PLAYER OF THE YEAR'? This is not about the 'Team of theYear' or 'MVP' of a team or district. There may be (as someone said) 20 players from the area who are better than any Evadale player. Doesn't mean that a player from Evadale can't be 'The Player of the Year'. I honestly don't know how 'Player of the Year' is defined. I don't know who deserves it, b/c I don't know what it means.
[/quote]

Good point- and I will bet that if we get real honest here, your contention applies to most of us.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="979889" timestamp="1299645581"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81352.msg979868#msg979868 date=1299643524]
Well I realy could give a rats@$$ if anyone on here calles them the best in SETX but Right now Blane Dunigan and Deven Murphy have led the Rebs to the State playoffs, With 60 and 63 points. When all the players that you all have crowned the best... are at home getting for baseball,or next year. And if they win two more games they WILL BE The Best Team IN STEX. But if they LOSE they still will have made it farther than anyone else in SETX. IN my eyes theses boys are the best. And I dont think eather one of they care what other people think of them. They are just glade to still be playing.
[/quote]TB, I don't see how anybody can honestly argue that Evadale is not the team of SETX this year.  Those boys have done a magnificent job and they proven so many on these forums wrong (they've certainly gone farther than I gave them credit).

But I'm not sure if you are correct in saying anyone of their players should be player of the year.  You yourself claimed that Evadale has won because they are such a good TEAM.  You stop one player, and another player beats you.  Each game it seems like a different player shines.  Let me ask you, is there any player on Evadales team whose absence would have caused them to lose much earlier in the playoffs.  I don't think so, but I haven't watched them lately...... but I have been reading your posts and from those I gather that they would have won even with the loss of say..... Dunigan or Murphy.

Now, in contrast, if Shawn Prudhomme would have gone down after our first district game, we would have lost against Stafford and Cleveland - hands down.  I'm not throwing Shawn's name in the hat, but because I follow the Hawks, I can tell you what I think an MVP is..... someone you can't win without.
[/quote] I will try and put it to you this way, In the first playoff game , the Rebs were behind by 12 at half. Dunigan then put up 20 in the second half and domatated the boards on both ends and they won that game. So without him they would have lost that game. Then 2 games later Murphy hit 4 3s in the second half and opened up the game and they won that one so with out him they would not have won that game. That is why I said that right now they are the best 2 players in SETX> But if you wont to play one on one I would say the 2 guys that you all are talking about would be better. But basketball is a team sport, and most would say that winning means alot when it comes to saying who is the best....

[quote name="True Blue" post="980265" timestamp="1299715351"]
I will try and put it to you this way, In the first playoff game , the Rebs were behind by 12 at half. Dunigan then put up 20 in the second half and domatated the boards on both ends and they won that game. So without him they would have lost that game. Then 2 games later Murphy hit 4 3s in the second half and opened up the game and they won that one so with out him they would not have won that game. That is why I said that right now they are the best 2 players in SETX> But if you wont to play one on one I would say the 2 guys that you all are talking about would be better. But basketball is a team sport, and most would say that winning means alot when it comes to saying who is the best....
[/quote]Basketball is a team sport, but "SETX player of the year" is not.  I don't know what to add.  As I've stated, you've claimed that Evadale has won as a team, and each game there is somebody who steps up.  In other words, no one has consistently carried the team on his shoulders.

Now granted, that is probably [u][b]the number one reason that Evadale is playing in Austin this week and nobody else from the area is[/b][/u] and that is a far greater achievement than any individual awards.  But that is not germane to the topic.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="980312" timestamp="1299722587"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81352.msg980265#msg980265 date=1299715351]
I will try and put it to you this way, In the first playoff game , the Rebs were behind by 12 at half. Dunigan then put up 20 in the second half and domatated the boards on both ends and they won that game. So without him they would have lost that game. Then 2 games later Murphy hit 4 3s in the second half and opened up the game and they won that one so with out him they would not have won that game. That is why I said that right now they are the best 2 players in SETX> But if you wont to play one on one I would say the 2 guys that you all are talking about would be better. But basketball is a team sport, and most would say that winning means alot when it comes to saying who is the best....
[/quote]Basketball is a team sport, but "SETX player of the year" is not.  I don't know what to add.  As I've stated, you've claimed that Evadale has won as a team, and each game there is somebody who steps up.  In other words, no one has consistently carried the team on his shoulders.

Now granted, that is probably [u][[color=red]b]the number one reason that Evadale is playing in Austin this week and nobody else from the area is[/color][/b][/u] and that is a far greater achievement than any individual awards.  But that is not germane to the topic.
[/quote]You are so right, and I know that both of the players will be so much happer ,bring home a Championship, than any one calling them SETX player of the year... Just look at who the ones are that are crowing the players that have been named. They are the same ones that said that Evadale would not win one playoff game. So we see how much credit they have ;D :D :D

[quote name="True Blue" post="980318" timestamp="1299723398"]
You are so right, and I know that both of the players will be so much happer ,bring home a Championship, than any one calling them SETX player of the year... Just look at who the ones are that are crowing the players that have been named. They are the same ones that said that Evadale would not win one playoff game. So we see how much credit they have ;D :D :D
[/quote]Win with class, brother... don't ever forget that.  No need to rub it in.

But regarding "proving everyone else wrong", welcome to the very thing that makes Hardin Jefferson basketball so special to me!!!  There is something about watching the kids go out there and beat the teams that nobody thought they would.  Of course, it would have been way-cool to have put a notch in our belt with Silsbee's name on it, but..... oh well.  ;)

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="980325" timestamp="1299724292"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81352.msg980318#msg980318 date=1299723398]
You are so right, and I know that both of the players will be so much happer ,bring home a Championship, than any one calling them SETX player of the year... Just look at who the ones are that are crowing the players that have been named. They are the same ones that said that Evadale would not win one playoff game. So we see how much credit they have ;D :D :D
[/quote]Win with class, brother... don't ever forget that.  No need to rub it in.

But regarding "proving everyone else wrong", welcome to the very thing that makes Hardin Jefferson basketball so special to me!!!  There is something about watching the kids go out there and beat the teams that nobody thought they would.  Of course, it would have been way-cool to have put a notch in our belt with Silsbee's name on it, but..... oh well.  ;)
[/quote] Oh I am not trying to rub anything in. I wish that SETX could have had 1 team in every class still in the playoffs.  What a great weekend that would have been. I dont know if Austin could have handled that many rednecks in town at one time.It just others that have a hard time giving Evadale the credit that they deserve.

Just for the record TB I have actually said that Evadale would win each game they have played so far...............although they have their hands full tomorrow and I am hopeful that I am wrong in saying that the road ends tomorrow.

Lets Go Rebs!!!!!

[quote name="True Blue" post="980330" timestamp="1299724758"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=81352.msg980325#msg980325 date=1299724292]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81352.msg980318#msg980318 date=1299723398]

[/quote] [b]Oh I am not trying to rub anything in[/b]. I wish that SETX could have had 1 team in every class still in the playoffs.  What a great weekend that would have been. I dont know if Austin could have handled that many rednecks in town at one time.It just others that have a hard time giving Evadale the credit that they deserve.
[/quote]I don't know.. if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......  ;)

BTW, good luck to the boys!!!!  I think everyone is routing for them on these boards.... even BadSanta!!!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="980335" timestamp="1299725510"]
Just for the record TB I have actually said that Evadale would win each game they have played so far...............although they have their hands full tomorrow and I am hopeful that I am wrong in saying that the road ends tomorrow.

Lets Go Rebs!!!!!
[/quote] I know .. I have looked at your picks in the playoffs and I have seen you pick them in every game.. I have also said that first you have to make it to the dance, then anything can happen. From what I have seen about Eula, they have a pretty good post player, but he is small. And they have a good shooting guard. I just hope our size comes out in the 4 Qr. and they get tired of banging with the bigger guys.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83