Lamar baseball- here is a look at the rpi's and SOS rightnow for Southland

Guest baseball25

Guest baseball25
I know its early, but look at some of the teams who they have played...... compared to lamars schedule.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2011/conference/Southland

[quote name="AJ25" post="975181" timestamp="1299075734"]
Look at SE LA, wow.
[/quote]

The beginning of the year always has teams ranked really high in terms of RPI that have no business being ranked so high, the RPI (and other formulaic systems) only work when there are many observations (games played), not just 10, but it's nice to say that you lead the RPI (or top 10) for a few weeks

I don't know if the funds are there but they are planning on spending $3 million in 2011, $1.5 million in 2012 and $500k in 2013 for a total of $5 million.

The Beck could be really nice spending $5 million on renovations.

Then softball is scheduled to start in 2013 and they are planning on spending $1.2 million on that facility.

Coach Tidwell mentioned the softball program during his interview with Fox 4 Sunday night.

http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=130786&watch=1

The last minute of the interview he talks about starting a softball program.

Guest baseball25
Stop taking up for
gilligan, his program is going into a direction it shouldn't go and that's downhill, if bowden can get axed then so can gilligan since alOt of people think he's a legend around here lol!!

Man, you are sensitive about Gilligan. Did he not recruit you or something? I wasn't taking up for a man in the Texas Baseball HOF and has a jersey in Cooperstown. I just stated an opinion that I believe bigger name college baseball programs with be willing to come to Lamar once they have renovated the Beck.

Now, let's not get personal over an opinion on the baseball schedule as I agree the last few years it hasn't been where it once was.

Guest baseball25
Gilligan is to hard headed to have good programs to come play at Lamar, hes acts like he's above everyone!!!! Promise you I didn't want to play at Lamar!!! I just wish this program would get back to what it used  to be so I can watch some good college baseball during the weekends!!

Let me get this straight, you didn't want to play for Lamar? But, you post several messages about Gilligan and the Lamar Baseball team and want them to get better so you can go watch some college baseball?

I'm missing something here?

If you don't like Lamar and just want to watch a college game Lake Charles isn't that far.

I got to Rice in about 90 minutes and that was with detours as they were working on the Hwy. You could catch a few of their games.

Just a thought.

Guest baseball25
There Is nothing like watching good college baseball, and Lamar used to play good weeked series and midweek games and now they don't play anybody, I played at the d1 level and there is nothing
like throwing against asu, rice, Texas and etc, that's what hometown fans want to see they want to see those type of teams not ndsu and Texas southern type teams!!! Your trying
to prepare your team for the southland conference and these teams aren't preparing
them!!! Southland conf isn't a bad conference like it use to be!!Lamar use to get tons of fans at games and now when u go there might be 300 people there!!!

"Here we go again" or "it's deja vu all over again" or "new day, same argument" - just go back and look at threads from last year's season and you will see the same arguments regarding scheduling, Gilligan, downward spiral, Bowden.  Look it's one game.  Just like when the Cards went on the road and thumped Rice, it's one game.

[quote name="time2time" post="975488" timestamp="1299110420"]
"Here we go again" or "it's deja vu all over again" or "new day, same argument" - just go back and look at threads from last year's season and you will see the same arguments regarding scheduling, Gilligan, downward spiral, Bowden.  Look it's one game.  Just like when the Cards went on the road and thumped Rice, it's one game.
[/quote]

aw heck no..the ships sinking..we're terrible...yada yada yada... ::)

arizona played NDSU ...i guess AZ sux also

I think everyone would like to see stronger programs in all sports.  Facilities have a lot to do with both the quality of players you can recruit and the quality of opponents willing to come to your place.  A lot of the bigger schools up north are installing indoor practice facilities so some of the better players that Gilligan got in the past from out of state are not as likely to come to Bmt.  Used to hear a lot of griping about recruiting locally, seems we have more local players than ever and now the program is heading downhill.  Last I checked winning conference and going to the NCAA is the expectation.

Guest baseball25
Arizona plays in the pac 10 so they can play teams like that because during conferene they are playing tough teams throughout the weekend, go look at se la schedule and compare it to lamar's and its not even close!!!

How many times has the rpi rating come into play for the Southland Conference? or how many times has the conference got two bids because of a rpi rating? I don't know the answer,  just asking. My guess is maybe once or twice.

Once, the year Lamar beat Rice twice when they were ranked #1 in the nation. Lamar lost in the SLC tournament which Northwestern State won and got the automatic bid. Lamar got an at large bid.

The only time in the history of the SLC two teams made it to a regional.

[quote name="bigred360" post="975971" timestamp="1299122173"]
Once, the year Lamar beat Rice twice when they were ranked #1 in the nation. Lamar lost in the SLC tournament which Northwestern State won and got the automatic bid. Lamar got an at large bid.

The only time in the history of the SLC two teams made it to a regional.
[/quote]

So why are some people worried about the Southland Conference rpi ratings? What are the chances the conference gets two bids? Why not just go to games,support Lamar baseball,enjoy the weather, quit worrying about rpi? Chances are, the conference is only going to get one bid,anyway.

[quote name="basketball25" post="975562" timestamp="1299115110"]
Arizona plays in the pac 10 so they can play teams like that because during conferene they are playing tough teams throughout the weekend, go look at se la schedule and compare it to lamar's and its not even close!!!
[/quote]
Am I  the only one that sees that this argument makes NO sense?  They play in the PAC 10 one of the top baseball conferences so how does a game against NDSU prepare Arizona for conference but not Lamar?  Your saying that once Arizona gets into conference play that will prepare them?    HUH!  The Southland is not near as strong as the PAC 10 so it should look WAY WORSE on Arizona side than Lamars.  All Andy Lopez cares about is wins.  He doesn't care about getting his team ready for conference. 

I remember this same talk from last season and you were wrong.  Maybe this year you will be right!?!?!?  If not you will be back next year with the same ole tune.  Sooner or later you will be right.  Lamar can't win conference tournament championships every year, RIGHT?

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="976035" timestamp="1299125925"]
[quote author=basketball25 link=topic=81127.msg975562#msg975562 date=1299115110]
[/quote]
Am I  the only one that sees that this argument makes NO sense?  They play in the PAC 10 one of the top baseball conferences so how does a game against NDSU prepare Arizona for conference but not Lamar?  Your saying that once Arizona gets into conference play that will prepare them?    HUH!  The Southland is not near as strong as the PAC 10 so it should look WAY WORSE on Arizona side than Lamars.  All Andy Lopez cares about is wins.  He doesn't care about getting his team ready for conference. 

I remember this same talk from last season and you were wrong.  Maybe this year you will be right!?!?!?  If not you will be back next year with the same ole tune.  Sooner or later you will be right.  Lamar can't win conference tournament championships every year, RIGHT?
[/quote]

dude's just spitting out jibberish ............

For the record, Texas State and SELA were both one of the top 5 teams out of the tourney last year.

And by playing games against low RPI teams that eliminates any hope of an at large bid for Lamar. Not that this team has the talent to do so because they don't. They must hope to get hot at the right time again this year.

pudding tane, it seems to me that you get aggervated because basketball25 has some pretty good logic of what is going on and how the college baseball environment is!!! I mean I feel the stuff he is saying is right on the dot, no reason to get mad when someone knows what they are talking about and that knows the game so well. I think I know who basketball25 is and if its the person I think it is then he knows way more baseball than us I can promise you this! Lamar should dominate this conference with the tradition it used to have and the players it should be able to bring in, but Lamar doesn't so who's fault is that, I mean if lamar moves to another conference they would really struggle and get it handed to them but if lamar moved to another conference 6-10 yrs ago they could hang but now they can't even hang in the southland conference...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder