HS coaches who could make the move to college

BADSANTA

With PA having only one high school, there will always be some pretty talented PA kids looking for playing time. And if they aren't getting it at PA Memorial, why not transfer to Nederland.  Coach English is a great coach and kids want to play for him. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure, but I believe K. Smith was from PA until HS. At any rate, the rest has been in NED for at least middle school on. I think what X is really wanting to say is a white player can't play basketball as good as a black. Therefore, starting next year English won't be as successful. At least that is how I interpret the racial comment.        

[quote name="cooligan" post="955034" timestamp="1296057834"]
I'm not sure, but I believe K. Smith was from PA until HS. At any rate, the rest has been in NED for at least middle school on. I think what X is really wanting to say is a white player can't play basketball as good as a black. Therefore, starting next year English won't be as successful. At least that is how I interpret the racial comment.        
[/quote]ASSALAMU 'ALAIKUM, Dude!!!

I wish the Sutherland/Davis/Lee trio could stay together at HJ forever.  I'm biased, but I believe they've set the standard for small-school high school coaching.  They work beautifully together.  Their successes are so much more than wins and losses...  That said, if they ever break it up, LU would be foolish not to give Clay Davis a shot.  He's a bright, young, energetic, LU alum.  Great communicator, both teaching in practice and on-the-spot during critical time-outs.  Heck, he teaches Communications class!  Relates well to and gets the best out of almost any basketball player.  Would be a strong recruiter, a draw to the LU program by himself.  I could see a return to national prominence for LU with Clay Davis coaching.  This is my humble opinion, and an opinion shared by his players.

[quote name="setxslam" post="955060" timestamp="1296059675"]
I wish the Sutherland/Davis/Lee trio could stay together at HJ forever.  I'm biased, but I believe they've set the standard for small-school high school coaching.  They work beautifully together.  Their successes are so much more than wins and losses...  That said, if they ever break it up, LU would be foolish not to give Clay Davis a shot.  He's a bright, young, energetic, LU alum.  Great communicator, both teaching in practice and on-the-spot during critical time-outs.  Heck, he teaches Communications class!  Relates well to and gets the best out of almost any basketball player.  Would be a strong recruiter, a draw to the LU program by himself.  I could see a return to national prominence for LU with Clay Davis coaching.  This is my humble opinion, and an opinion shared by his players.
[/quote]

I might be inclined to hang on to my LU season tickets then!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="955062" timestamp="1296059820"]
Slam you coming to HJ Tuesday night when Silsbee comes to town?????  If so better get there early!!!!
[/quote]

Wouldn't miss it.  We will be camping out near the gym entrance starting this weekend.  Drop by for s'mores!  J/K.  But we'll be there, early and loudly, come heck ( ;)) or high water.  Looking forward to seeing y'all!

[quote name="cooligan" post="955034" timestamp="1296057834"]
[/quote]I didn't interpret it as a racial comment...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="955016" timestamp="1296056539"]
As far as the Nederland players, I DO know for a fact that at least 1 of the starters is from Port Arthur, Tx.  Didn't attend PAM, but was part of PA-ISD his whole life up untill high school...
[/quote]

I don't know where any of them went to elementary.  I do know for a fact that Cunningham and Forney have went to school and have been my son's friends since the 6th grade at Central Middle School.  They live within NISD boundaries last time I checked.  Furthermore, I know for a fact the Smith was at PN Middle School and transferred to Nederland in high school.  Although I know they are not who you are commenting on, Wagner and English have been in NISD since they started to school.  Mitchell is the only player I am not sure of.  But it really doesn't matter.  They are attending NHS legally and who can blame any of them if they choose a better rated school.  I chalk these comments up to haters.

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="955109" timestamp="1296063759"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=79207.msg955016#msg955016 date=1296056539]
As far as the Nederland players, I DO know for a fact that at least 1 of the starters is from Port Arthur, Tx.  Didn't attend PAM, but was part of PA-ISD his whole life up untill high school...
[/quote]

I don't know where any of them went to elementary.  I do know for a fact that Cunningham and Forney have went to school and have been my son's friends since the 6th grade at Central Middle School.  They live within NISD boundaries last time I checked.  Furthermore, I know for a fact the Smith was at PN Middle School and transferred to Nederland in high school.  Although I know they are not who you are commenting on, Wagner and English have been in NISD since they started to school.  Mitchell is the only player I am not sure of.  But it really doesn't matter.  They are attending NHS legally and who can blame any of them if they choose a better rated school.  I chalk these comments up to [b]haters.[/b]
[/quote]Me?

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="955108" timestamp="1296063667"]
[quote author=cooligan link=topic=79207.msg955034#msg955034 date=1296057834]
[/quote]

Is it possible that someone who alleges a comment to be racist is possibly the offender rather than the target of his allegation?

[quote name="stevenash" post="955165" timestamp="1296068699"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=79207.msg955108#msg955108 date=1296063667]
[quote author=cooligan link=topic=79207.msg955034#msg955034 date=1296057834]
[/quote]

Is it possible that someone who alleges a comment to be racist is possibly the offender rather than the target of his allegation?
[/quote]Good point...

Why can you people not give credit where credit is due? It always has to turn into some kind of who can top who with uncalled for comments. Coach English is a class act, and could easily Coach College ball.  He is a true basketball coach, that brought Little Dribblers to Nederland, to build the sport.  He cares about the players before they even walk into his High School Gym.  The proof is the current year's freshman and JV teams both of which only have one loss in district play this season.  He has the such passion for the game, he could coach on any level.

My hope is he will stay here in Nederland, so I can continue to watch an AWESOME coach put out an AWESOME team on the floor, and WIN games.  The proof are in the STATS people. Stick to the post topic please.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="955015" timestamp="1296056441"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=79207.msg954746#msg954746 date=1296012823]
[quote author=Malcolm X link=topic=79207.msg954243#msg954243 date=1295978959]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=79207.msg954237#msg954237 date=1295978573]
Coach English.
[/quote]Will know for sure next year when all of Mermorial players are gone  ;)
[/quote]
U obviously don't remember what he did with Vidor talent-they went to playlets four years straight! Before then, NEVER!!! since he left, not ONE playoff appearance!!
Nederland had not made the playoff in 15 years until he arrived. Since then, 3 playoff trips, and (about to be) two straight district titles-enough said!!!
[/quote]Vidor did not make the playoffs 4 years straight.  The team that beat Ozen 3 times in 1 year made
the playoffs and lost in the first round.
[/quote]
You could not be more wrong sir!!They won at least two games that year, then got beat by a Nacogdoches team led by Damion James. The game was played in College Station. I do apologize though, they only made the playoffs three years straight, not four. Again, the point is that he coaches them to the playoffs for the first time EVER!!! And Vidor has not been back since.

Last year Nederland won district for the first time in 55 years!! Again, they won at least two games in the playoffs. This year, Nederland will be back-back district champs for the first time ever, and a 3rd yr consecutively to the playoffs. Not a bad resume in anyone's book...

To all you beaumont that are trashing on nederland just because yall arent haveing a good year, dont take it out on nederland who has beat both of yall. Nederland will be a great team for years to come, freshman and JV are doing great, JV with ONE loss the whole season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.   It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.     Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!   Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh? Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.   I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.
    • Yellowjacket faithful are still pouring into Hudson HS’s Gipson Field!!!!  
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
    • The game will be live streamed for those that have Game Changer under the Chester team thread.  I believe the radio station out of Palestine will have radio broadcast.
    • For those John Candy lovers (my attitude right now): This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
  • Topics