Best Point Guard in SETX

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="945428" timestamp="1294677701"]
I thought the topic was "who is the best point guard in SETX?", not "who could potentially be the best point guard at the next level?". ;)
[/quote]

I still think they are the best PGs in the area! They are not listed as such but they handle those duties for their individual teams!!! On this level, AAW!!!!  :o

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silsbee put 5 in 5 out with their point guards getting a good bit of rest. Erwin played
entire game as usual and was sick and no aggie it was 84-42 bout 10 people after the game
questioned ur post of 91-42 idk? Mayr I'm wrong it don't really matter lol Silsbee won with ease but
when bkv had all their starters in it was 29-20 pretty close then bkvs big man had foul trouble. Erwin is
a good point guard but just on a 1A/2A level.  :P

Here is the game thread of the Burkeville/Silsbee game:

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=78003.0

According to WOSGrad who was listening to the broadcast, the final was 91-42.

I really do not know why I am explaining this, I broadcast the game, I keep the stats, I know what the final score was.

Of course, it's totally irrelevant to the topic of this thread. Silsbee handled the Burkeville point guard with no problem. Don't know what game you guys were watching, probably wasn't even there.

[quote name="grinch12" post="945499" timestamp="1294685285"]
john erwin from burkeville texas.. he is fast, quick, great 3 point shooter... just an ultimate offensive threat that silsbee couldnt even handle... go back and watch tape.. silsbee couldnt hold him for anything... this kid is great!
[/quote]

The post I have quoted is what matters. Someone stating that Silsbee "could not hold him for anything", "Silsbee couldn't even handle" is just plain stupid. He scored 11 points in a 91-42 loss. There was nothing there to handle!!

Like I have said, I have seen better point guards this season and I am willing to bet I have seen at least three times the games that this guy has.

I have no problem with someone saying he is a good point guard at the 1A level, but let's not go overboard. ::)

Grinch 12 sees Many games  ;) and yea aggie ur a good sports broadcaster...just not at the pro level ;) and u can't judge a player by one game. If u think u can then think again. Does Kobe score in the 30's everynight? Ha idts. To end this ridiculous argument over a ridiculous thing I'm not right. Your right aggie :-* : ) the pg's of bkv are very good. But not like grinch(pothead)12 says : P that's it end of convo aggie lol this is all stupid .

I didn't get to see this game so I can't have much of an opinion on how good the kid is.  By stats it looks like the Tigers more than handled him.  The thing that gets me is that by the original post basing this player on one game seems to be what was desired.  The post stated Silsbee couldn't hold him look at the tapes.  So judging him by that game seems to be what was being asked!!

I dont know if it is the same PG or not and I have not seen him play, but before my dad got sick last year or the year before that, he told me there was a PG for Spurger that was as good as any around.  And even though he is my dad, aside, I take his word on judging talent.  He has predicted alot of players that were overrated that never made it and players that were underrated that did make a big impact. So I will go on his judgment of the PG and take Spurgers PG.  This is if it is the same one.  This is 1 or 2 years back.  He was a PG who could see the court exceptionally well and shoot the ball ok from outside but was still a good shooter.  JMO

[quote name="east texas bb" post="945933" timestamp="1294725700"]
I dont know if it is the same PG or not and I have not seen him play, but before my dad got sick last year or the year before that, he told me there was a PG for Spurger that was as good as any around.  And even though he is my dad, aside, I take his word on judging talent.  He has predicted alot of players that were overrated that never made it and players that were underrated that did make a big impact. So I will go on his judgment of the PG and take Spurgers PG.  This is if it is the same one.  This is 1 or 2 years back.  He was a PG who could see the court exceptionally well and shoot the ball ok from outside but was still a good shooter.  JMO
[/quote]

That young man's name is Chase McGallion. He is a 4 year starter for Spurger, this being his senior season. Your dad knows what he is talking about. Chase is a very good point guard but he is called on to score more this year than in year's past. I have watched him play over the last 3 years and IMO, he is as good as there is in this area.

I am excited to get to see him and the rest of Spurger's team play tomorrow night when I go up there to broadcast their game with Leggett. Should be a good one.

First, no one said anything negative about Burkeville.  Second, Spurger beat Burkeville, so there is not a whole lot you can say(or I guess you can keep talking).  The game is over. Spurger won.  Give Spurger credit.  Unrelated but I was going for CH against Woodville last Friday and Woodville won. I congradulated Woodville, they got the win.  Sure you can say things but until they play again and if a different result happens then there is not much to talk about.
I dont know the Erwin kid, he may be a good player, but just because he gets 15 open looks does not make him a good player. 
The thread topic is the best PG in SETexas, I heard from dad before he got sick that the kid from Spurger could play.  My dad said he shot the ball ok, but he saw the court exceptionally well. To me that is the biggest attribute of a PG, when they can see a play happen before it develops.  Some have it and some dont, evidentally my dad saw this in the Spurger kid.  Just an opinion, you have stated your opinion multiple times.  I think everyone knows who your hero is.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="946076" timestamp="1294766012"]
First, no one said anything negative about Burkeville.  Second, Spurger beat Burkeville, so there is not a whole lot you can say(or I guess you can keep talking).  The game is over. Spurger won.  Give Spurger credit.  Unrelated but I was going for CH against Woodville last Friday and Woodville won. I congradulated Woodville, they got the win.  Sure you can say things but until they play again and if a different result happens then there is not much to talk about.
I dont know the Erwin kid, he may be a good player, but just because he gets 15 open looks does not make him a good player. 
The thread topic is the best PG in SETexas, I heard from dad before he got sick that the kid from Spurger could play.  My dad said he shot the ball ok, but he saw the court exceptionally well. To me that is the biggest attribute of a PG, when they can see a play happen before it develops.  Some have it and some dont, evidentally my dad saw this in the Spurger kid.  Just an opinion, you have stated your opinion multiple times.  I think everyone knows who your hero is.
[/quote]Ah, a man who knows about pg's.  PG's can see the play happening before it develops.

[quote name="grinch12" post="946028" timestamp="1294762460"]
aggies ur just a hater.... if it aint silsbee they aint the best... [b]bkv could give silsbee a run for their money with a healthy 5[/b]... john erwin is very talented and could go to college playing as well as robertson and bean... the boy puts up numbers.... i listened to the broadcast and heard a few and erwin misses the shot, off the rim... but he got 15 open looks!!! and prolly only shot 4 of em.... hes unselfish and to say that chase is better???? did u even watch the spurger game? spurger was beat!!! bkv gave them the game... one free throw and it wouldnt have reached overtime and bkv wuda walked out but thats just basketball... but i like the negativity toward bkv because seems thats all we get... we enjoy proving people like u wrong :)
[/quote]

A hater? No, a realist.

You are comical at best with the notion of Burkeville giving Silsbee a run for their money with a "healthy 5". In a 50 point loss, you would need more than a "healthy 5", to make that up. More like a better 10. ;)

BTW, no one looked "unhealthy" on that Burkeville team and according to the coach, everything was fine. Do you not remember that Silsbee played this game without their best player and argueably the best player in the area in DC Stallworth? I think he would have made this game a 60-70 point Silsbee win. ;)

BTW, where did I say that Chase was better? I think the quote was, "He is one of the better PG's in the area". Wasn't comparing him to anyone. But, I'll say it now, Chase is better. ;D

Bluedove, we discussed this on another message board the other day about how to build a PG.   I know you have a son who can play PG. I am not sure you can build one, I think the best PG just have it in them.  And it all depends on what expectations you have for this guard.  But a point guard to me sees the play before it happens, as he pushes the ball up court he can see the game happen at multiple angles, can get his shot or a shot for another and play good onball and offball defense. That is a great PG. There are not many out there that can do that.  A true PG will normally be more worried about how many assists he had compared to points. But at the same time he can score if needed.  And he has to be vocal.  I remember growing up and crying after losing a youth game.  The other kids would make fun of me.  My dad told me when I got older that he knew it hurt me but that he kind of liked it because it did hurt me that much to lose and if it hurt me that bad I would ultimatly do something about it.  A good PG will hate to lose.  It will consume him.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="946102" timestamp="1294768371"]
Bluedove, we discussed this on another message board the other day about how to build a PG.   I know you have a son who can play PG. I am not sure you can build one, I think the best PG just have it in them.  And it all depends on what expectations you have for this guard.  But a point guard to me sees the play before it happens, as he pushes the ball up court he can see the game happen at multiple angles, can get his shot or a shot for another and play good onball and offball defense. That is a great PG. There are not many out there that can do that.  A true PG will normally be more worried about how many assists he had compared to points. But at the same time he can score if needed.  And he has to be vocal.  I remember growing up and crying after losing a youth game.  The other kids would make fun of me.  My dad told me when I got older that he knew it hurt me but that he kind of liked it because it did hurt me that much to lose and if it hurt me that bad I would ultimatly do something about it.  A good PG will hate to lose.  It will consume him.
[/quote] Not sure if you can build one either. The really good ones I've seen were born with it. Just a a part of their their personality. Now, the vocal part is what you have to work on for some.

True, you can hone in on some skills but the part that makes a PG really good, I think it is something you are born with. I May be wrong.  One of my favorite authors believes that it isnt innate, but that you can build a PG through situational drills doing them over and over.  I agree with him to a point, you can make a PG better, but there is something about the great ones you cant really describe you only notice it when you see it. JMO

its 1A and 3A stop comparing these school past games, burkeville has along 120 kids in its school and is good at a 1A/2A level but spurgers pg and burkevilles pg are about even each is better at different things. STOP ARGUING GRINCH(POTHEAD)12 AND AGGIE, ITS dumb  :-*.

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="946130" timestamp="1294771590"]
Actually, at this time there is no great PG playing in that positionin SETX. There are kids that a pretty good, but they are all average. PERIOD!
[/quote]

But the topic does not ask who is great at playing the point or who is really good at the point guard position in SETX. It simply asks who is the best of all the point guards playing this season, good, bad or average.

PERIOD!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder