Does Lamar have an open invite to join the WAC?

[quote name="YouCanUseaMint" post="940910" timestamp="1293948832"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78052.msg940888#msg940888 date=1293943278]
In a few weeks the NCAA will decide if the WAC can keep their auto-bid to the basketball tourney.  If that doesn't pass then I doubt Lamar would join the WAC.  After that obstacle then Lamar has to figure out how to increase it's budget because they'll have a hard time being successful with a $11 million budget.  It needs to be at least $15 million to keep up with the other teams in the WAC.

There's also the issue of facilities.  The Montagne Center will fit right in the WAC although a new scoreboard would be nice.  Vincent-Beck is about to be renovated so that's a plus.  I think the softball field is planned for 2013, which would mean they would start softball about the same time they'd start transitioning to FBS, so that would take care of the title 12 requirements.

The football stadium holds 16K so it needs to be expanded if Lamar goes FBS.  Let's say Lamar announces they'll join the WAC in 2013, they'll  be bowl eligible in 2015.  That would give them about 4 years to expand the stadium.  This gives them time to finish the other renovations.

I don't think Lamar wants to stay in the SLC long term but if they join the WAC they'll still play a few more years at the FCS level before moving up.  We'll see what happens.
[/quote]
I know my opinion doesn't matter, but Lamar is the only Texas team I want elevated with us and UTSA into the WAC. Yall would solidify an eastern division with TXST, UTSA, LU, LATECH, and NMSU.

What's enrollment at these days? Student fees are an easy fix for the budget if your enrollment is decent enough.. it's what's bank rolling us to FBS
[/quote]

And LU will be a team that TSU-SM can actually beat in that division.  ;D ;D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="JJWooten" post="940913" timestamp="1293949603"]
[quote author=YouCanUseaMint link=topic=78052.msg940910#msg940910 date=1293948832]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78052.msg940888#msg940888 date=1293943278]
In a few weeks the NCAA will decide if the WAC can keep their auto-bid to the basketball tourney.  If that doesn't pass then I doubt Lamar would join the WAC.  After that obstacle then Lamar has to figure out how to increase it's budget because they'll have a hard time being successful with a $11 million budget.  It needs to be at least $15 million to keep up with the other teams in the WAC.

There's also the issue of facilities.  The Montagne Center will fit right in the WAC although a new scoreboard would be nice.  Vincent-Beck is about to be renovated so that's a plus.  I think the softball field is planned for 2013, which would mean they would start softball about the same time they'd start transitioning to FBS, so that would take care of the title 12 requirements.

The football stadium holds 16K so it needs to be expanded if Lamar goes FBS.  Let's say Lamar announces they'll join the WAC in 2013, they'll  be bowl eligible in 2015.  That would give them about 4 years to expand the stadium.  This gives them time to finish the other renovations.

I don't think Lamar wants to stay in the SLC long term but if they join the WAC they'll still play a few more years at the FCS level before moving up.  We'll see what happens.
[/quote]
I know my opinion doesn't matter, but Lamar is the only Texas team I want elevated with us and UTSA into the WAC. Yall would solidify an eastern division with TXST, UTSA, LU, LATECH, and NMSU.

What's enrollment at these days? Student fees are an easy fix for the budget if your enrollment is decent enough.. it's what's bank rolling us to FBS
[/quote]

And LU will be a team that TSU-SM can actually beat in that division.  ;D ;D
[/quote]
You're right. Maybe I need to reconsider SFA so we can keep our annual win  ;)

[quote name="UNLV" post="940859" timestamp="1293938983"]I have posted many example many times of AQ schools playing at Sunbelt and WAC schools.Monroe hosted Arkansas and Alabama. Monroe is a much smaller city than Beaumont. ULM is half Lamar size. So many of times I asked what Monroe offered to recieve a visit by AQ schools but Lamar would be unable to do?  is it bribes? women?  voodoo?  Yet the only response is the same broken record, "Nobody  will come to Beaumont." So it is not wishful thinking on my part, but rather extremely limited thinking on you all part.[/quote]

UNLV...

How many times do I have to tell you?

ARKANSAS did not go to MONROE. They went to Little Rock! That was a ULM home game in LITTLE ROCK!
ALABAMA never went to MONROE. Both the 2006 and 2007 games were in TUSCALOOSA!

How long are you going to continue to use bad info?

The funny thing... the top attended games for a Sun Belt school as far as conference or out of conference games? "Home games" played at neutral fields (i.e. Arkansas in Little Rock for ULM, Michigan State in Detroit for FAU) and FCS schools (McNeese, Southern at ULL, Grambling at ULM).

Figure Lamar would be the same if they went FBS... a game against McNeese would outdraw games against Idaho, New Mexico State and Utah State.

I get excited about the FBS talk but for the good of the program Lamar should not rush into a conference that is falling apart. Lamar is setup for success with a great President, AD, and the loads of SE Texas talent year in and year out. Sometimes patience is rewarded.

EPG

Other than rivalry games, only winning draws fans.  I have been to too many Lamar vs. McNeese basketball games and neither team packs the house.  I've been to the Astro's when they were winning and you had to plan early to get good seats, and I have been when they are loosing and you can walk up and get some of the best seats in the house.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder