Sportsmanship

ndn78

you are right, i haven't been to many png games; i simply stated an observation...

i observed a mascot run out to the middle of the field - if the middle of the field is a safe haven of sportsmanship, then why does he get to shimmy there? i also observed a png captain slap a hand away from a willis player as he extended his own shake.

i observed elementary children screaming "scalp 'em indians, scalp 'em" at the top of their lungs. do they know the horrific nature of scalping? yet because it is "tradition" then this act of non-sportsmanship is acceptable.

i observed two high school football teams playing their hearts out in an instant classic. i hated that either team had to lose.

this thread started by calling out willis and brenham for not displaying sportsmanlike behavior.

i'm simply asking them to look at the mirror and make sure everything they do is "sportsmanlike" as well.

congrats to png. their offense is bigtime.

[quote name="bigtime409" post="916161" timestamp="1290394287"]
you are right, i haven't been to many png games; i simply stated an observation...

i observed a mascot run out to the middle of the field - if the middle of the field is a safe haven of sportsmanship, then why does he get to shimmy there? i also observed a png captain slap a hand away from a willis player as he extended his own shake.

i observed elementary children screaming "scalp 'em indians, scalp 'em" at the top of their lungs. do they know the horrific nature of scalping? yet because it is "tradition" then this act of non-sportsmanship is acceptable.

i observed two high school football teams playing their hearts out in an instant classic. i hated that either team had to lose.

this thread started by calling out willis and brenham for not displaying sportsmanlike behavior.

i'm simply asking them to look at the mirror and make sure everything they do is "sportsmanlike" as well.

congrats to png. their offense is bigtime.
[/quote]

Great Post and well said,  but if you are waiting for PNG to look in the mirror, you will be waiting awhile.  They never think they do something wrong.  COME ON MAN

Guest tappedout
Come on people, they are not playing tennis or golf. The game of football is played with intensity and sometimes you do thing's that you normally wouldn't do but when you are in the heat of the moment anything can happen. Look at #77 Lunceford, he is one of the most intense football player's on the field and at times hit's people late but whenever you talk to him outside of football you would never know that he has this kind of fire in him. Some team's try and go to the middle of the field for intimidation tactic's, it get's me fired up just watching how our guy's react when another team does it. So let them be, I hope Manvel does the same. In just about every game you will see a few cheap shot's but overall I thought the Willis/PNG game was fairly clean. We have played against dirtier team's than Willis. There is so much talking back in forth during a game and sometimes young men lose their temper's and it cost's their team. If I was coaching and another team ran out to the middle of the field taunting us than I would use it to fire my team up and that's what it did Friday night.

I have no problems with teams meeting at midfield...it really gets the fans into the game. HOWEVER, Saturday night, the Willis team met at midfield, and INTENTIONALLY taunted the Indian Spirit, the PNG players, coaches and fans.  This was a deliberate act...total disrespect. Willis got their payback with the late hits, personal fouls during the game. When they came out after halftime, the refs were waiting for them and they didn't taunt.  Its a shame that coaches would allow their team to stoop this low....I agree, if PNG EVER did this to another team like the Willis team did to us..I'd leave the game.  With that being said, I see no problems with a team meeting at midfield.....just leave the taunting out of it.

As a teacher, we work very hard to instill in our students respect, even when things aren't going your way.  Taunting, personal attacks, etc. should not be part of high school sports. Just my opinion.

Scalp 'em, Indians, SCALP 'EM!

[quote name="ndn78" post="915768" timestamp="1290373147"]
Last night at the Willis game I was very disappointed to see the Willis team meet at mid field before the game and after half time. Their routine before kick off's is fine, 11 guys coming together to get pumped. This is not a player problem it is a coaching problem. Willis was the most athletic, never give up hard working team I have seen at any high school level in a long time they have no need to do this. I wish them the best of luck as their program grows.

Last year against Brenham as their coaches dressed with ties on they let their players do the same thing. I don't care if you are on your home field during the regular season, home team during the playoffs that should never be done. Neither of these teams are the first to do it and sadly probably won't be the last but for the life of me I cannot understand how a coach would allow this.

In 30+ years of watching 6 man through 5A football I have seen this and it angers me every time. I have all the respect in the world for Brenham and now Willis but please stop this part or your routine. These kids have enough bad influence watching how college and pro sports have turned into a thug show without being allowed to do this in high school.

I do not mean to single out Willis or Brenham but they are the two teams I have seen do it lately. Both of you have great schools and have no reason to do this. If a PNG coach ever allows this I will gather as many fans as possible and go to the school board and superintendent and try and have it stopped. NDN fans cross the line just like all others and so do our players.

I am asking the coaching community as a whole to stop this practice. This teaches this young men nothing. Good luck to all of you still in the playoffs and great job to those of you who are out.

Go PNG!
[/quote]
And how did that work for Willis?

I actually have no problem at all with what they did. I guarantee Coach Faircloth used that to fire our team up.

sfa87 your right about throwing the spear and I did not agree with it. I don't care what any team does as long as they direct it toward their own side line. I don't even like our tomahawk chop routine after the millionth time and even I get sick of Cherokee after a while.

I was just trying to make a point that our young people have to many bad influences and role models as it is in sports and life without letting them start at an early age. I saw a pop warner game a few years ago and a 10 year old gave the throat slash move after a hit, COME ON MAN!

Good luck to all those left in the playoffs and great work to those that made it!

Go PNG!

[quote name="smp83" post="916201" timestamp="1290397093"]
I had a discussion with a guy that graduated a couple of years ago...asked him which team, in his opinion, talked and played the dirtiest...he said PNG. ha ha. go figure.
[/quote]

And THIS is supposed to carry a lot of weight or something?  [img]http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif[/img]

Well I guess THIS settles it then! 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder