Newton???

Guest jacobmccandles

Guest jacobmccandles
Now that the job is posted, who will be the front runners?  I would think Coach Reich would be considered if he wants it.  God Bless and Keep Curtis Barbay!

[quote name="BigWildcat11" post="912069" timestamp="1290091897"]
I think Coach Barbay from Coldsprings is one of the front runners
[/quote] Wt is the frontrunner trust me .realible sorce

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="912212" timestamp="1290099834"]
We don't need Reich.
[/quote]
Amen,  and to what the other guy said, Bryan would not get it just because he wants it. WT is the front runner no matter who wants it, he will be offered first. Allthough if Bryan did put his name in, It could make things more interesting.

I would think Bryan would be interested but it would be hard for him to leave a 3A school he has brought to the playoffs for a couple years now and has gotten a winning tradition going there. I think the job should be looked at by those in Newton as an opportunity to get input from some young up and coming guys from across the state. Newton is small but should generate some interest from some really good coaches based on the history and tradition established by Coach Barbay. W.T. would be a good choice if some of the present coaches that have not performed were replaced. This is small town politics as well as hiring a coach. Enthusiasm and the belief in we can win need shoring up. Jimmy Johnson was right about a team has got to have that little bit of swagger in their step to be winners. Newton has not had that in a couple years.

[quote name="ZATARRA" post="912879" timestamp="1290177579"]
Should he even apply? [i]I mean if Newton hires anyone other than "WT" there's no way they could be successful, right???[/i]

[/quote]
You seem to be a wolf in sheeps clothing. Feigning to not know anything, then wanting to give an opinion based on something and seeking acknowledgment of being correct. W.T. has given many dedicated years to Newton and is a heck of a coach. Everyone thinks his going to Kirbyville was the first time he has left. Wrong. This has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Newton needs the best coach available FOR THEIR PROGRAM. The football program at Newton is firmly established and proven and IMO just needs a little tweeking. The last thing we need is to hire a coach that don't fully understand that. The kids need someone they can respect and play for. W.T. could be that man.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="912903" timestamp="1290179451"]
[quote author=ZATARRA link=topic=76311.msg912879#msg912879 date=1290177579]
Should he even apply? [i]I mean if Newton hires anyone other than "WT" there's no way they could be successful, right???[/i]

[/quote]
You seem to be a wolf in sheeps clothing. Feigning to not know anything, then wanting to give an opinion based on something and seeking acknowledgment of being correct. W.T. has given many dedicated years to Newton and is a heck of a coach. Everyone thinks his going to Kirbyville was the first time he has left. Wrong. This has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Newton needs the best coach available FOR THEIR PROGRAM. The football program at Newton is firmly established and proven and IMO just needs a little tweeking. The last thing we need is to hire a coach that don't fully understand that. The kids need someone they can respect and play for. W.T. could be that man.
[/quote]

I agree.  Zatarra seems like he's purposely feigning ignorance about Coach Johnston to take a shot at him.

I did not see this thread before I started mine. 

I'll just repeat, I hope that the aforementioned "small-town politics" does not prevent Newton from hiring the most qualified coach possible.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="912903" timestamp="1290179451"]
[quote author=ZATARRA link=topic=76311.msg912879#msg912879 date=1290177579]

[/quote]
You seem to be a wolf in sheeps clothing. Feigning to not know anything, then wanting to give an opinion based on something and seeking acknowledgment of being correct. W.T. has given many dedicated years to Newton and is a heck of a coach. Everyone thinks his going to Kirbyville was the first time he has left. Wrong. This has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Newton needs the best coach available FOR THEIR PROGRAM. T[b]he football program at Newton is firmly established and proven and IMO just needs a little tweeking. The last thing we need is to hire a coach that don't fully understand that.[/b] The kids need someone they can respect and play for. W.T. could be that man.
[/quote]

I do agree with the bolded part. Of course, we as Newton fans, parents, faculty, students and players need to realize Coach Barbay is gone, and it would not be fair for us to expect his successor to do everything exactly like Coach Barbay.

But at the same time, the next coach at Newton will realize that the program does not need to be built again from the ground up.

Offensively (though one season is a small sample size), the Eagles still seem to be quite successful and productive running Barbay's Wing-T offense.  Though the spread is now the coming thing, Coach Barbay realized that most high school defenses cannot consistently stop the run.  I think it would be a lot of wasted time and effort for a new coach to come in and completely change offensive systems.

Defensively, I don't think the problem is the system, as much as perhaps attention to detail.

But bottom line: Newton's offensive and defensive systems don't need to be completely overhauled, but adjusted.  Personality-wise, the new man must be strong enough to make his own mark on the program and begin his own traditions.

AND: probably most important--the new man should be given authority throughout the school district to do as Barbay, and make sure his system is run from PeeWee football, Middle School, and on up.

[quote name="ZATARRA" post="912879" timestamp="1290177579"]

[/quote]  WT is who built Newton in the 90's up to 2008, He is a great DC and every since he left the D at Newton has been terrible.  WT is known for his D and the other D displine plus he is a great strength and conditioning coach, look a Kville and how big there players have become because of the WT workout plan.  WT handled most of the duties for Barbay during his time at Newton he was Barbay's right hand man for years and because of a certain coach (the now OC) starting Drama ,because he wanted the HC job when Barbay retired next Season ...WT confronted Barbay about the Drama and Decided to leave and put his name in for the Jasper job , that didnt workout because of other issues so he went to coach with his former teamate Jack Alaverz as a Defensive coach. 

• 2 weeks later...
This is only our second year to be up close and personal with Newton Football.  I have always looked at Coach Barbay as a celebrity of High School Football.  I mean anyone that pays any attention to high school athletics knows who Coach Barbay is. So when my wife became a faculty member of Newton ISD I was very excited for the opportunity to watch him coach with my own eyes.  I spent most of this season on the Newton Sideline and was able to catch him in action at "Ground Zero"!!! I was more and more amazed at the way he handled his business.  I can never express how lucky I feel to have met him and to have stood within feet of the Greatest Coach in action.  
Whoever comes in as AD has some big shoes to fill.
Going on what I know of WT Johnston, he would be an excellent choice. Being Barbay's "right-hand" man all those years would ensure the continuance of the Newton tradition. But at the same time the community will need to be open to new ideas. We are looking forward to the 2011 season.

I think the powers that be need to get this done and let's get started on 2011. I agree, give W.T. the same latitude that Coach Barbay had for years. For as new directions, I know it will be done no matter who comes in because they won't be Coach Barbay, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Whom ever comes in should be made aware of what has made Newton into the power house they have been for these many years. Coach Barbay was the mastermind, no doubt, but there is a system in place that has produced many, many good athletes for all those years.

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="purpleeagle" post="922079" timestamp="1291056503"]
I was told by a good source that the job has been posted and all names are in and there should be a selection probably by Christmas. I know their is one super good choice among the names. I may be wrong but I think the future looks bright for Newton football.
[/quote]

No waiting until christmas the decision has been made already. WT resigned yesterday morning from Kirbyville High School and it will be made a official tonight at the school board meeting. WT will be at work tomorrow morning preparing for next season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83