Could LU coaches be over their heads

hipster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baseball25
There doing good man, it's there first yr back, it doesn't happen overnight it takes years to build a program. They have had a good yr, I mean they are outmatched rightnow on the o-line and d-line against other teams it just takes time to get the recruits u need and etc and they know now what they need, all in all this yr is a stepforward for the lamar football program.

[quote name="basketball25" post="900443" timestamp="1289147715"]
There doing good man, it's there first yr back, it doesn't happen overnight it takes years to build a program. They have had a good yr, I mean they are outmatched rightnow on the o-line and d-line against other teams it just takes time to get the recruits u need and etc and they know now what they need, all in all this yr is a stepforward for the lamar football program.
[/quote]LU has played against Geo. St. another first year program this year and lost. They also played S. Ala. that is in it's 2nd yr as a program and lost. So that quote might be a little misleading considering you said they are outmatched and that they didn't have the time to get the recruits they needed.
I'm not sure exactly what that means since they had the same amount of time as those teams to put a squad together. So i'm leaning towards hipsters question that the coaching staff IS IN OVER THEIR HEADS.

Lamar has already won more games than most people had expected for a first year program. They have been in every game except two. I'm sure Coach W will make adjustments at the end of the year both with players and possibly coaches but I believe it is way to early to be questioning the coaches in their first season. If we are receiving the same results in the 3rd or 4th season....then we have a problem. They are making some positive steps forward with the defense and the offense showed some ball control against Georgia State although they lost. Georgia State and South Alabama both had several seniors playing this year and Lamar has one or two on the roster. I will be willing to bet that we will have different outcomes next year.

Looking forward to the next two home games.

[quote name="LU1991" post="900627" timestamp="1289157091"]
Lamar has already won more games than most people had expected for a first year program. They have been in every game except two. I'm sure Coach W will make adjustments at the end of the year both with players and possibly coaches but I believe it is way to early to be questioning the coaches in their first season. If we are receiving the same results in the 3rd or 4th season....then we have a problem. They are making some positive steps forward with the defense and the offense showed some ball control against Georgia State although they lost. Georgia State and South Alabama both had several seniors playing this year and Lamar has one or two on the roster. I will be willing to bet that we will have different outcomes next year.

Looking forward to the next two home games.
[/quote]What team are you talking about? "LU has been in every game but 2"?? I'm looking down the schedule and they haven't been close in 4 of their games. (SFA, Sam Hou St., So. Ala., and No. Dakota.) And IMO won't be close this weekend either. So if my math is correct that would be 5. LU did make improvements this week vs Geo. St. but did still lose to a first yr program.

This is South Alabama's 2nd season, not their first like Lamar and Georgia State.  Lamar has played a harder scheduled than both South Alabama and Georgia State, and Lamar has also played more road games than those two.  Lamar will end up with 4 or 5 wins this season despite losing their top 2 quarterbacks and other players to injuries.

[quote name="coachacola" post="900678" timestamp="1289159567"]
This is South Alabama's 2nd season, not their first like Lamar and Georgia State.  Lamar has played a harder scheduled than both South Alabama and Georgia State, and Lamar has also played more road games than those two.   Lamar will end up with 4 or 5 wins this season despite losing their top 2 quarterbacks and other players to injuries.
[/quote]i guess you missed my post where i clearly stated that So. Ala. was a 2nd yr program.

[quote name="Raiders99LHS80" post="900681" timestamp="1289159762"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=75703.msg900678#msg900678 date=1289159567]
This is South Alabama's 2nd season, not their first like Lamar and Georgia State.  Lamar has played a harder scheduled than both South Alabama and Georgia State, and Lamar has also played more road games than those two.   Lamar will end up with 4 or 5 wins this season despite losing their top 2 quarterbacks and other players to injuries.
[/quote]i guess you missed my post where i clearly stated that So. Ala. was a 2nd yr program.
[/quote]

Sure did, my mistake.  But I don't think the coaching staff is over their heads or they would be losing to the non D1 teams and getting embarrassed every game.  The SFA and SHSU games were the only ones that Lamar clearly were out matched.

[quote name="coachacola" post="900707" timestamp="1289160392"]
[quote author=Raiders99LHS80 link=topic=75703.msg900681#msg900681 date=1289159762]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=75703.msg900678#msg900678 date=1289159567]
[/quote]

Sure did, my mistake.  But I don't think the coaching staff is over their heads or they would be losing to the non D1 teams and getting embarrassed every game.  The SFA and SHSU games were the only ones that Lamar clearly were out matched.
[/quote]sfa yes, but sam started a true freshman QB and i think a true freshman RB (flanders) so how outmatched was that? LU started a redshirt jr QB and a Jr at RB (logan). so at the skill positions, LU should have had the edge.

Yes, way over their heads. I am now thinking Woodard was a mistake. He is showing no leadership, no team discipline, and no creativity.
I didn't expect Lamar to win much this year, but I did expect steady improvement with something to look forward too next year. This team is not showing improvement, no heart, NOTHING to get excited about for next year. Lamar has a talent defense but ran with simple jr high schemes. LU offense runs 5 plays, 4 passes and 1 run. The most simple offense in all college football. 

For everyone who keeps bringing up that Lamar is a new team, you have to remember that Woodard was hired in 2008, right? He signed some players last year who didn't get to play, so they should have been in the weight room getting ready and bulking up. A good chunk of the players are transfers who have college experience at some level past high school. I just think it shows that the coaching staff isn't able to coach at a D-I level, successfully. They have taken this team and have really beaten NAIA schools.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="901231" timestamp="1289184271"]
I like to say no way, its early, and we have won 3 games but I think Whittens offense is crap. But all things considered I definitely think they have done enough to earn another year of employment with Lamar.
[/quote]

I agree with you there. I think you're in for a tough time with Whitten as the OC, even Hall, who looks like a stud athlete might not have the best time at Lamar because of Whitten. We had two quality backs, one that even got onto some practice squads in the NFL, but Whitten didn't utilize him much.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="901428" timestamp="1289193903"]
Takes 2-3 years for a new coach to come into a program and make a difference.  After that, all bets are off.

I think Lamar could have done better than hire a JC Coach.  There are quality assistants at major colleges all over that would salivate at the opportunity to be a head coach at the FCS level.
[/quote]

I was shocked when I found out that Woodard had only 1 year of collegiate head coaching experience before getting the nod at future DI Lamar. I think the number one thing people will tell you is that coaching professionals (Scottish Claymores) and college (Navarro then Lamar) are totally different, see Nick Saban.

Just curious, who else was in the running back in 2008 when Woodard got the job?

[quote name="JJWooten" post="901429" timestamp="1289194876"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=75703.msg901428#msg901428 date=1289193903]
Takes 2-3 years for a new coach to come into a program and make a difference.  After that, all bets are off.

I think Lamar could have done better than hire a JC Coach.  There are quality assistants at major colleges all over that would salivate at the opportunity to be a head coach at the FCS level.
[/quote]

I was shocked when I found out that Woodard had only 1 year of collegiate head coaching experience before getting the nod at future DI Lamar. I think the number one thing people will tell you is that coaching professionals (Scottish Claymores) and college (Navarro then Lamar) are totally different, see Nick Saban.

Just curious, who else was in the running back in 2008 when Woodard got the job?
[/quote]

From an old Bob West article:

[quote]The top three candidates, according to my sources, are Navarro JC head coach Ray Woodard, West Brook head coach Craig Stump and former North Texas offensive coordinator Ramone Flanagan. Woodard, who was a teammate of Todd Dodge at the University of Texas, seems to have the inside track to getting the job.[/quote]

I don't think Lamar had the money to spend on hiring a quality D1 assistant coach.  Woodard was hired at $130K, which isn't bad for the SLC, but that's less than most good D1 assistants at the bigger schools.  Back in the 1980s Lamar had the habit of skipping over up and coming assistant coaches and making bad hires.  I hope history doesn't start repeating itself.

To think that the coaches are in over their heads is kind of crazy. A winning program doesn't come over night, everyone on here knows that and I think is just frustrated because they want to win games. Lamar surprised me a bit this season with their early play and the impressive come from behind win at Southeastern, but the physical nature of football is going to take a toll on teams.

Established teams have the "backbone" in place that helps sustain the team when injuries hit. A first year program is going to find it much tougher sledding when injuries happen because there is nothing to fall back on as far as depth in recruiting. Lamar signed a small class in Woodard's first year and then a full class last year. I think this staff has found talent and signed some talent, but not every player you identify is going to sign with you and not every player is going to continue to develop into a better player once they get on campus.

Give this staff more than one season on the field before you give up and think they are in over their heads.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="901548" timestamp="1289228379"]
To think that the coaches are in over their heads is kind of crazy. A winning program doesn't come over night, everyone on here knows that and I think is just frustrated because they want to win games. Lamar surprised me a bit this season with their early play and the impressive come from behind win at Southeastern, but the physical nature of football is going to take a toll on teams.

Established teams have the "backbone" in place that helps sustain the team when injuries hit. A first year program is going to find it much tougher sledding when injuries happen because there is nothing to fall back on as far as depth in recruiting. Lamar signed a small class in Woodard's first year and then a full class last year. I think this staff has found talent and signed some talent, but not every player you identify is going to sign with you and not every player is going to continue to develop into a better player once they get on campus.

Give this staff more than one season on the field before you give up and think they are in over their heads.
[/quote]Ga st showed different looks, mixed up the pl?ays, and kept LU off balance. LU did none of those things. Did it take Ga st 2-3 years?  You do know Ga st is a first year program too?

[quote name="UNLV" post="901649" timestamp="1289234605"]
[quote author=LumberCard link=topic=75703.msg901548#msg901548 date=1289228379]

[/quote]Ga st showed different looks, mixed up the pl?ays, and kept LU off balance. LU did none of those things. Did it take Ga st 2-3 years?  You do know Ga st is a first year program too?
[/quote]

Georgia State could have easily lost to Lamar and they also lost to a NAIA team.  The stats were pretty even and looking at Georgia State's RPI they are not much better than Lamar, and that's with a so called "name" coach.  We'll see what players Woodard signs for the next year and see how well they do next year before we judge if Woodard is up to the task.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83