Who would give her a chance at the next level?

bh146

I received a call yesterday asking if I could take photos of Pasadena Memorial's JV last ball game. So I went and began shooting the 7 o'clock contest.  Of particular note was the  fact that Memorial's place kicker was a girl.  And as I watched, I was duly impressed.  I only stayed for the first half as the rain began to pour steadily.  But in that time, she converted all 5 of her PATs.  Her kicks were not a loft over the bar.  She stroked everyone straight through the uprights.

As I listened to a fan belittle his team for not getting to "that girl", I wondered if she has a shot at kicking for her varsity team.  I don't know her classification but does it really matter.  I have seen more than one team this year who could have used a consistant place kicker.  But is there a varsity squad out in the Gulf Coast area that would accommodate a girl?  Is she really going to be given a shot to kick at the next level?

Even in the pouring rain, she had no problem converting.

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/5145014380_42de793dac_b.jpg[/img]

If what you say is true, I hope she gets a chance to kick varsity. As I look at the photo, I find myself being the kicking coach that I am,lol, and see that her plant foot position is perfect, her knee is locked, and is balanced as she is planting. Also, she is kicking off of a 3/4" tee. Most HS kids kick off of a 2"tee. So really, if she wanted to kick in college, her transition will be much easier in the fact of you cant use a tee in college. Do you have anymore pics? Maybe of her follow through??

[quote name="kcat-fan" post="897053" timestamp="1288926113"]
K-ville needs one ;D
[/quote]

I wish Kirbyville would get out of the stone age on this issue, and let a soccer player on the team to just be a place kicker/punter.  I'm pretty sure there are a few kids there who would do it.

[quote name="wowzer99" post="897067" timestamp="1288927024"]
[quote author=kcat-fan link=topic=75497.msg897053#msg897053 date=1288926113]
K-ville needs one ;D
[/quote]

I wish Kirbyville would get out of the stone age on this issue, and let a soccer player on the team to just be a place kicker/punter.  I'm pretty sure there are a few kids there who would do it.
[/quote]
Jack has asked a few that come around and they all tell him no they dont want to do it

[quote name="Wildcat04" post="897556" timestamp="1288986435"]
[quote author=wowzer99 link=topic=75497.msg897067#msg897067 date=1288927024]
K-ville needs one ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]
Jack has asked a few that come around and they all tell him no they dont want to do it
[/quote]

well that's just sad. 

[quote name="wowzer99" post="897067" timestamp="1288927024"]
K-ville needs one ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

that's what happened to me out at HJ 10 years ago.  i was at soccer practice, and the coach came out and i was asked/told that i would be kicking for the football team the next season.  i ended up loving it, but i wish i had done it for more than two years.  it's a pretty easy conversion for a good soccer player to make. 

my only question is this... what do you do with a bad snap that goes to her?  do you have her kicking off as well? in two seasons of kicking i was tackled in a game 3 times due to bad snaps/fakes, and made more tackles than that covering kickoffs.  i was a good athlete, but having no real football experience apart from scout team and place kicking, it was always an awkward moment if i was involved in a tackle, either giving or taking.  as a coach do you want to be held accountable if she gets smashed by some 260-lb lineman after picking up a bad snap?  do you want to be held accountable if she gets hurt trying to make a TD-saving tackle on a kickoff?

[quote name="bullets13" post="897588" timestamp="1288988723"]
my only question is this... what do you do with a bad snap that goes to her?  do you have her kicking off as well? in two seasons of kicking i was tackled in a game 3 times due to bad snaps/fakes, and made more tackles than that covering kickoffs.  i was a good athlete, but having no real football experience apart from scout team and place kicking, it was always an awkward moment if i was involved in a tackle, either giving or taking.  as a coach do you want to be held accountable if she gets smashed by some 260-lb lineman after picking up a bad snap?  do you want to be held accountable if she gets hurt trying to make a TD-saving tackle on a kickoff?
[/quote]

After coaching girls softbal for over 8 years, i can comfortably tell you that many girl atheletes can handle this situation.  Guys have been taught that girls are fragile, but quite frankly they are not.  They can dive, slide, move laterally, and often run straight thru you. 

As far as the bad snap---and since she does seem to have a good foot, 1 kick in the deep snappers groin first thing in Mondays practice should resolve the issue.  ;)

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="899650" timestamp="1289082629"]
Bottom line is you put the best players in  no matter boy or girl.
[/quote]

In watching the reaction of her teammates after she kicked, the kicks just seemed to be the norm.  No big high fives. Just a pat on the shouldpads or helmet.  It appeared she had the respect of her fellow players and her coaches.  So, I would not be surprised to see her kicking at the varsity level.  Of course, I guess there could always be someone better.

[quote name="bh146" post="899708" timestamp="1289084736"]
[quote author=BRONX ROX link=topic=75497.msg899650#msg899650 date=1289082629]
Bottom line is you put the best players in  no matter boy or girl.
[/quote]

In watching the reaction of her teammates after she kicked, the kicks just seemed to be the norm.  No big high fives. Just a pat on the shouldpads or helmet.  It appeared she had the respect of her fellow players and her coaches.  So, I would not be surprised to see her kicking at the varsity level.   Of course, I guess there could always be someone better.
[/quote]
If she relocated to BH then she would def have a spot on varsity :D Just playin know BH is a little banged up right now. ;D

I believe TWHS's JV kicker is also a girl.
CORRECTION:  She is a backup kicker on the Varsity squad.
Here is a link to an article.
[url=http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woodlands/news/7236547.html]from the Houston Chronicle[/url]

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="897613" timestamp="1288991743"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=75497.msg897588#msg897588 date=1288988723]
[/quote]

After coaching girls softbal for over 8 years, i can comfortably tell you that many girl atheletes can handle this situation.  Guys have been taught that girls are fragile, but quite frankly they are not.  They can dive, slide, move laterally, and often run straight thru you. 

As far as the bad snap---and since she does seem to have a good foot, 1 kick in the deep snappers groin first thing in Mondays practice should resolve the issue.  ;)
[/quote]

I agree. My best friend is a girl and she could, if she had to, put most of our football players in Dayton on the ground. So girls can be just as good as boys, if not better.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder