SLC Scores and Attendance

[quote name="bigred360" post="878868" timestamp="1287355219"]
Was it SHSU homecoming game Saturday? Just looked at their athletic page and it was homecoming!
[/quote]

A lot of people were upset about the poor turnout for homecoming, but then a poster made a really good insight. The VAST majority of our alums are from the Houston area, and chose which games to attend strategically. With Battle of the Piney Woods being next week at Reliant Stadium, it's probably pretty certain that they opted for that game over the trek to Huntsville for Homecoming. There are already roughly 20,000 tickets sold for that game, probably a little less than that. With Homecoming the week before, it's hard to get people going two weeks in a row.

But then again, even when we were good we were only getting about 10-12 thousand in there.

[quote name="coachacola" post="878819" timestamp="1287353617"]
SFA won again in a blowout and is now 5-1, but only had 7938 at their game.

SHSU also won again in a blowout and are 4-2, but only had 7457 at their game.

Texas State lost again but are expanding their stadium so they can move to the WAC, and they had 12,994 at their game.
[/quote]

These SLC attendance accounts in relation to Lamar attendance counts seems to be a familiar trend. I was told that there could have been about 450 at the Lamar Volleyball game Sat. I think that is a good number for volleyball,  it is hear say I don't know if correct.   I hope Lamar's attendance counts in relation to other SLC schools continues.  STRENGTH IN NUMBERS!!

GO BIG RED!!!!

One thing Lamar should always hve going for itself is that most Alums stay local when they graduate vs places like Huntsville and Nacadoches where there isnt much for an Alum to do job wise in town once they graduate so its a decent trek for most folks to make a game.  My wife and I have season Tix and we have to jump through hoops all the time just to find someone to keep our kids or get there before the game starts after two soccer games each week here in Orange and there arent that many people who ae committed to doing this more than once or twice a season.  Its a good thing LU has going and I hope you guys can keep i up cause once it dies off its hard to get it back...

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879320" timestamp="1287378525"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74606.msg878868#msg878868 date=1287355219]
Was it SHSU homecoming game Saturday? Just looked at their athletic page and it was homecoming!
[/quote]

A lot of people were upset about the poor turnout for homecoming, but then a poster made a really good insight. The VAST majority of our alums are from the Houston area, and chose which games to attend strategically. With Battle of the Piney Woods being next week at Reliant Stadium, it's probably pretty certain that they opted for that game over the trek to Huntsville for Homecoming. There are already roughly 20,000 tickets sold for that game, probably a little less than that. With Homecoming the week before, it's hard to get people going two weeks in a row.

But then again, even when we were good we were only getting about 10-12 thousand in there.
[/quote]
What ever makes you feel better! ::)

He's pretty spot on, if you think about, Beaumont is 4x bigger than Nacogdoches and Huntsville, and about 2x the size of San Marcos. Y'all should be drawing decent crowds for all your sports. It's been great so far, but I predicted a while back that next year (outside of home opener and homecoming), that number will probably level off to about 9,000-10,000, with slightly bigger numbers for the McNeese game (assuming it isn't homecoming)

Depends on how we finish the season and how good we recruit (hope to God Hall gets eligible) and maybe land Jeremy Johnson.

The tailgating is great and Lamar guys are doing it better than I thought they would (since we didn't have a football team for two decades). I think they had to buy their spots for 2-3 years so those guys will continue to "party" before the games and I think the students will continue to attend. After talking to my niece, her boyfriend and my nephew they are having a blast at the games. Of course, they like it better when we win.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879586" timestamp="1287419690"]
He's pretty spot on, if you think about, Beaumont is 4x bigger than Nacogdoches and Huntsville, and about 2x the size of San Marcos. Y'all should be drawing decent crowds for all your sports. It's been great so far, but I predicted a while back that next year (outside of home opener and homecoming), that number will probably level off to about 9,000-10,000, with slightly bigger numbers for the McNeese game (assuming it isn't homecoming)
[/quote]

we also have 4x the number of people who think football ends on Friday night, have never seen Lamar, and would rather sit on the couch and watch the big ten

10k might be a little light 

[quote name="coachacola" post="879625" timestamp="1287421611"]
Hopefully the excitement of football will rollover into basketball.  Seems like students are getting more involved in all the sports on campus.
[/quote]

I know that's a dream that Billy Tubbs wants to see. I actually think it might hurt a little bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same number of people for your games as in the past. Y'all have a great turnout for basketball, and the fans deserve a better home slate, but that's a different topic all together.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879735" timestamp="1287426876"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=74606.msg879625#msg879625 date=1287421611]
Hopefully the excitement of football will rollover into basketball.  Seems like students are getting more involved in all the sports on campus.
[/quote]

I know that's a dream that Billy Tubbs wants to see. I actually think it might hurt a little bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same number of people for your games as in the past. Y'all have a great turnout for basketball, and the fans deserve a better home slate, but that's a different topic all together.
[/quote] 

I don't see basketball attendance changing very much until we start winning.  It has been a LONG AND PAINFUL stretch for our anemic basketball program.  I hear we landed some really good recruits but I hear that almost every year.  So, the proof is in the pudding.  Now, one thing I hope happens is that the students will start going to the games.  Basically you had the friends of India, a handfull of sorority and fraterntiy members, and about 100 other students at the games and that's it.  They should be able to draw 2,000 - 3,000 from the students alone.

Anyway, I don't think it will take much to fill up the Montagne but we are going to have to win.

With football, winning is not all that important right now.  Right now everyone is having a blast tailgating and just having football back.  But, we all know that won't last forever so hopefully we will have early success.  I also hope we keep recruiting a lot of local talent and I hope some of the really good local talent opts to play here.

[quote name="coachacola" post="880221" timestamp="1287454012"]
How about scheduling teams that people want to see?  The Texas Tech and BYU games from a few years ago drew some decent crowds.  Roc needs to stop scheduling these non-D1 teams and bring in some real teams.
[/quote]

i think he's trying to save his job

Someone we have heard of before. Suggestions include, ULL, Louisiana Tech, UNT, UH, TCU, South Alabama, Southern Miss, and SMU. Granted there is no way all these schools would agree to play us but I'm sure we could convince at least one school to come. And that would be way better than a D2 school or Canisus.

Can't disagree with you guys about the home OOC schedule but Coach Roc knows he has to win and they are playing a pretty tough road OOC schedule with SMU tournament, Texas- Pan American, UT, Rice, ULL, Tulane and Arkansas State.

Am I excited about the home OOC schedule? Nope, but I'll make as many as possible and encourage all the true LU basketball fan's to do the same as it is the conference schedule that matters the most and the guys chose to attend Lamar so they deserve our support.

[quote name="bigred360" post="880768" timestamp="1287514211"]
Can't disagree with you guys about the home OOC schedule but Coach Roc knows he has to win and they are playing a pretty tough road OOC schedule with SMU tournament, Texas- Pan American, UT, Rice, ULL, Tulane and Arkansas State.

Am I excited about the home OOC schedule? Nope, but I'll make as many as possible and encourage all the true LU basketball fan's to do the same as it is the conference schedule that matters the most and the guys chose to attend Lamar so they deserve our support.
[/quote]

I must admit I am a hair concerned about the schedule and amount of JUCO's we recruited this year.  I will be there in full support though!

[quote name="sleepy" post="880771" timestamp="1287514891"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74606.msg880768#msg880768 date=1287514211]

[/quote]

I must admit I am a hair concerned about the schedule and amount of JUCO's we recruited this year.  I will be there in full support though!
[/quote]

Yea, you never know about some of the JUCO's; remember James Davis? What a waste of talent!

[quote name="bigred360" post="880778" timestamp="1287515353"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=74606.msg880771#msg880771 date=1287514891]

[/quote]

I must admit I am a hair concerned about the schedule and amount of JUCO's we recruited this year.  I will be there in full support though!
[/quote]

Yea, you never know about some of the JUCO's; remember James Davis? What a waste of talent!
[/quote]
He was. I am just speaking of the long term viability of the program.  I am worried the combination of jucos and the schedule is an attempt to post 20 wins at the sacrifice of the long term result.  However, he knows far more than I do so ill trust and still think roc can do it.

[quote name="sleepy" post="880780" timestamp="1287515583"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74606.msg880778#msg880778 date=1287515353]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=74606.msg880771#msg880771 date=1287514891]

[/quote]

I must admit I am a hair concerned about the schedule and amount of JUCO's we recruited this year.  I will be there in full support though!
[/quote]

[/quote]
He was. I am just speaking of the long term viability of the program.  I am worried the combination of jucos and the schedule is an attempt to post 20 wins at the sacrifice of the long term result.  However, he knows far more than I do so ill trust and still think roc can do it.
[/quote]

Sleepy, no doubt you are right. I don't think Coach Roc is worried about long term results or he wouldn't bring in 6 juco transfers in one season. I do hope the team can develop an identity and team chemistry and the next 2 years will get the program back on track.

But, we've been waiting for that the past twenty years. I'm getting old and tired of losing.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics