How bout the Coaches take some blame

Look i'm not down on the staff but, we have played 7 games now and do not seem to make any corrections. Its the same week after week. Playing kids in positions that are not helping the team, 4-2-5 defense where we generate NO PRESSURE on ANY QB and leave the middle open for the run, and offense well line can't run block, every play there is someone unblocked pass or run, Bevil needs to be COACHED a lot more on decision making or let someone else try all they can do is throw a couple picks per game and funble 2 ......

Where is the COACHING ?  Lets try and change something this week we are off, please.......

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="HardHitter" post="878199" timestamp="1287329288"]
Look i'm not down on the staff but, we have played 7 games now and do not seem to make any corrections. Its the same week after week. Playing kids in positions that are not helping the team, 4-2-5 defense where we generate NO PRESSURE on ANY QB and leave the middle open for the run, and offense well line can't run block, every play there is someone unblocked pass or run, Bevil needs to be COACHED a lot more on decision making or let someone else try all they can do is throw a couple picks per game and funble 2 ......

Where is the COACHING ?  Lets try and change something this week we are off, please.......
[/quote]

Really? ITS THEIR FIRST YEAR Einstein................

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="HardHitter" post="878207" timestamp="1287329891"]
Yea well they better get a lot better at coaching or they want last to long after the TANDS empty out....BY the way I was there until it was over bud.....
1st year or not seems like after 7 games and watching film you could make at least 1 good change... ;)
[/quote]

Hitter get a hold on yourself................ Not the end of the world and sure that Coach W and the staff is working on it as we speak. Get back to the plow.

[quote name="beechnut" post="878201" timestamp="1287329636"]
[quote author=HardHitter link=topic=74589.msg878199#msg878199 date=1287329288]

[/quote]

[/quote]But they are not showing any improvement. There is nothing to get excited about for next year.

They need to give a different QB a chance bevil plays awful more than half the time he throws 2picks and fumbles twice I'm pretty sure prewitt tatum and louis could do better

[quote name="beechnut" post="878201" timestamp="1287329636"]
[quote author=HardHitter link=topic=74589.msg878199#msg878199 date=1287329288]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But it's not a field of brand new coaches, it's people with coaching experience, and a good chunk of players who have played for other schools. As someone said on a different thread, it seems like the team is moving in reverse.

Hoop, you know I've been a Bevil supporter and was excited he decided to play at Lamar. That said he has to be close to 20 TO's with interceptions and fumbles through 7 games. It is hard to win at any level of football when the QB isn't taking care of the ball.

That said, I still think Andre Bevil is the best option at QB this year at Lamar.

You're right about that. Our running game is terrible. I hope Hall can get eligible and we can land a couple OL and the others get bigger and stronger with our strength and conditioning program.

Coach Scott Reeves is suppost to be pretty good and they finally got him some help with Coach Joshua Miller.

[quote name="bigred360" post="878775" timestamp="1287351978"]
You're right about that. Our running game is terrible. I hope Hall can get eligible and we can land a couple OL and the others get bigger and stronger with our strength and conditioning program.

Coach Scott Reeves is suppost to be pretty good and they finally got him some help with Coach Joshua Miller.
[/quote]

Scott Reeves was only hired in February and the team was lifting weights outside at the practice fields.  Hopefully a year in the new weight with Reeves in control and the team should be in a lot better shape next year.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="878690" timestamp="1287349115"]
[font=Courier]A Sched like South Alabama and none of this talk would be happening. First year execuse? Please.

Expect the same ups and downs and bumps and bruises next year. [/font]
[/quote]

South Alabama is only in their second year and they have played a cream puff schedule and they dominated us.  However, when I consider their athletes vs our athletes I didn't see much of a difference.  So, other than the walking turnover known as Bevil, the only difference would be coaching.  You talk about how USA defense was just sit back and wait...well duh, that's because the coaches continue to want throw the ball no matter what.  And what is even more ridiculous is they make it blatantly obvious!!!  We continually line up in the spread, qb in the shotgun, and don't even bother using the play action on occasion.  It's basically like we are telling the defense ahead of time what we are going to do.

I give our coaching a D+ thus far. 

Why don't we ever use a fullback?  Why don't we ever go with two tight ends?  Why don't we ever run a screen pass?  Why don't we ever blitz on defense?  Why are we constantly ok with absolutely no pressure on the opposing qb? 

I think our o-line does a decent job.  But the play calling sucks.  And Bevil turns the ball over way too much.

Very disappointed in the coaching.... The Offense has been awful all year long and no changes have been made.... However I was pretty impressed with the defense last night holding a USA team to 26 points (20 of which they had control over), especially when they have been averaging 35-40 pts a game since the programs startup last season. However there is only so much a defense can do when the offense turns the ball over 4 times. They were totally exhausted and spent WAY too much time on the field. I think another QB needs to be given a shot. Bevil's choices in throwing have been anything but pleasant. I mean the play in the 3rd quarter when he throws to powdrill in triple coverage??? Really, Why would you do such a thing??? However I will always support Lamar. The coaches are the coaches for a reason. Lets Go LU. Lets turn the season around.

Oh yea 16000 people there saturday??? How did they get that number because there is no way there was 16000... Maybe 12000.... there definitly were alot of empty seats.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="879261" timestamp="1287371149"]
So bammy's coach has one yr of college coaching experience....the rest high school

...our OC? [b]an impressive 25-28 record at Slam houston...11yrs head coaching experience at college level...[/b]

He got schooled by a high school coach...........
[/quote]

He got the majority of his fame before Sam as the coach at Tarleton, where he racked up some good wins. He inherited a playoff team in his first year in 2005 and took them straight to the can after that. I want to say (and I'm not 100% sure), but in the last 2 years all his wins came against teams with losing records. However, he runs an offense that is VERY exciting, when it's clicking. When it's down, it's embarrassing.

bulldogs2004: I made the same comment about attendance on the game thread. As the camera flashed across the stands, you could see a lot of empty pockets. I was under the assumption they sold all the tickets and people either 1) didn't show up or 2) left early because of the performance on the field. Either way, it's 2 times the ticket sales that SFA and Sam can have. Kudos for still getting people into the games, it's better than some of the teams in the SLC.

there was still a good crowd there... i sat on the visitor side and noticed that a few season ticket holder seats were empty...and alot of students that i know get their tickets and sit on the hill...so somtimes the stands may not appear full but the tickets were still sold.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="879426" timestamp="1287410710"]
Somehow losing brings out our alter egos.
[/quote]

You are so right my friend.

I think Woodard is a good coach from what I hear from players, they really respect what he has to say and he seems to know a lot and is a great leader. However, I'm not so sure about his hires.

I think Coach Hinshaw is a great coach, his resume proves it. However what he did as a D-Coordinator then was with way different talent.

Coach Whitten... well as much I hate to say this, but the katfans have seem to be right so far on this guy.

The jury is still out on these 2 guys though because as I said, it is still our first year. I will hold back my criticism until year 2.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami