UTSA and Texas State, will be leaving to join the Western Athletic Conference.

UNLV

GRAPEVINE — Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said Wednesday he’s already accepted that two of his strongest members, UTSA and Texas State, will be leaving to join the Western Athletic Conference.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college/local_colleges/UTSA_Texas_State_leaving_for_WAC_appears_imminent_104034314.html

[quote name="puddin tane" post="861501" timestamp="1285861935"]
geez, we will miss them and their 8 fans
[/quote]

There is just so much I want to say about all this but it would be like water off a ducks back, so I will refrain.  That said, one day you will turn on the TV set and see Texas State playing a meaningful game against a big time opponent at home and wonder how that happened and why they are playing before a capacity crowd of 40k+.  But I doubt you would ever think and wonder how Lamar missed out on making the big stage.

Tarleton new president is reluctant to move up. And lets not forget about the huge budget
cuts that will hit NWst, SEla, Nicholls, and Mcneese in 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if football
was dropped or downgrade to DIII in 3 of the 4 schools. Replacement for them may have
to be non football schools like Houston Baptist and Pan Am.

Hawaii is talking about leaving the WAC for the Big West (football goes independent).  There's rumors that TCU is talking to the Big East which means the MWC could take Utah State.  The WAC will eventually become the new "southwest conference" with very few west coast teams.  The SLC is becoming weaker and weaker as a conference and I doubt Simmons and Tidwell will allow Lamar to stick around for that.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="861511" timestamp="1285862430"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73729.msg861501#msg861501 date=1285861935]
[/quote]

There is just so much I want to say about all this but it would be like water off a ducks back, so I will refrain.  That said, one day you will turn on the TV set and see Texas State playing a meaningful game against a big time opponent at home and wonder how that happened and why they are playing before a capacity crowd of 40k+.  But I doubt you would ever think and wonder how Lamar missed out on making the big stage.
[/quote]

[size=16pt][b]every game is meaningful[/b]...[/size]thats whats wrong with you 3 who keep pumping the wac..........SLC is just a little joke to y'all..don't mean anything...meaningless games

[quote name="puddin tane" post="861706" timestamp="1285874034"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=73729.msg861511#msg861511 date=1285862430]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[size=16pt][b]every game is meaningful[/b]...[/size]thats whats wrong with you 3 who keep pumping the wac..........SLC is just a little joke to y'all..don't mean anything...meaningless games

[/quote]
The WAC had their meeting with the schools they were looking at and Lamar wasn't one of them so lets move on. I have yet to see someone besides UNLV say negative things about the SLC.

At least they don't bad mouth our starting QB on a public forum.

I second the idea that we need to leave the SLC - there won't be much left after a couple of years - especailly if the LA schools all have to drop FCS football - which seriously could happen with the budget shortfalls hitting the Pelican State.

Lamar has to always be on the lookout for ways to better its situation.  Maybe it's the WAC, maybe it's not. 

Personally, I trust Dr. Simmons to make the right decision when that choice is available.  And when he leaves maybe I'll throw my name in the hat to replace him! ;)

[quote name="bigred360" post="861723" timestamp="1285875120"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73729.msg861706#msg861706 date=1285874034]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=73729.msg861511#msg861511 date=1285862430]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The WAC had their meeting with the schools they were looking at and Lamar wasn't one of them so lets move on. I have yet to see someone besides UNLV say negative things about the SLC.

At least they don't bad mouth our starting QB on a public forum.
[/quote]

UNLV hasn't bad mouthed our qb?

[quote name="coachacola" post="861571" timestamp="1285866255"]
Hawaii is talking about leaving the WAC for the Big West (football goes independent).  There's rumors that TCU is talking to the Big East which means the MWC could take Utah State.  The WAC will eventually become the new "southwest conference" with very few west coast teams.  The SLC is becoming weaker and weaker as a conference and I doubt Simmons and Tidwell will allow Lamar to stick around for that.
[/quote]

I'm trying to figure out what is so impressive about UTSA and Texas State.  Sam, SFA, and McNeese all have much better athletics than they do.

[quote name="UNLV" post="861567" timestamp="1285865846"]
Tarleton new president is reluctant to move up. And lets not forget about the huge budget
cuts that will hit NWst, SEla, Nicholls, and Mcneese in 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if football
was dropped or downgrade to DIII in 3 of the 4 schools. Replacement for them may have
[/quote]

I think you've been smoking some of that funny stuff with coachacola.  You honestly believe that between McNeese NW State SeLa and Nicholls, 3 of them will be Division III or not have football at all??!!  Please!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="861511" timestamp="1285862430"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You know as I think about it I'm beginning to agree with others on thise board.  We need to get out of the dumpy little SLC as fast as possible and move on to greener pastures.  I mean, lets look at some other schools.  Nearly every weekend you can tune in and watch ULM play a meaningful game.  And, it seems like almost every night there's ULL right there on ESPN beating up on Florida and UT and Alabama and USC.  (In case yall didn't know it, ULM stands for the University of Louisiana at Monroe and ULL stands for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette).  ULL, ULM, Ark State, and La Tech all used to be members of the lowly Southland and they are all now national powers playing meaningful games every weekend.

Oh, and just think if we would have had the sense to get basketball out of the lowly Southland.  We could have built a state of the art basketball facility, and possibly even have canceled football to free up a ton of money to build a national power, and then we could join an up and coming powerhouse basketball conference like the American South or something.  If that didn't work we possibly could have moved to the Sun Belt!  Man, wouldn't that have been awesome!  We would be playing in countless meaningful games RIGHT now if we just would have done that.  Oh wait, we did do that......

[quote name="westendfirst" post="862168" timestamp="1285902979"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73729.msg861571#msg861571 date=1285866255]
[/quote]

I'm trying to figure out what is so impressive about UTSA and Texas State.  Sam, SFA, and McNeese all have much better athletics than they do.
[/quote]

cuz its the hill country..dont you know everything is better out there..... ::)

[quote name="puddin tane" post="862266" timestamp="1285908400"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73729.msg862168#msg862168 date=1285902979]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73729.msg861571#msg861571 date=1285866255]
[/quote]

[/quote]

cuz its the hill country..dont you know everything is better out there..... ::)
[/quote]
Simple: $$$

[quote name="westendfirst" post="862187" timestamp="1285903477"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73729.msg861567#msg861567 date=1285865846]
[/quote]

I think you've been smoking some of that funny stuff with coachacola.  You honestly believe that between McNeese NW State SeLa and Nicholls, 3 of them will be Division III or not have football at all??!!  Please!
[/quote]State higher education officials presented doom-and-gloom budget scenarios Tuesday to a state Senate committee showing what could happen when the federal stimulus money runs dry next summer.

One such possibility included the closure of eight of the state’s 14 public universities as a means to reduce state funding of college costs by 30 percent, or about $300 million.

That scenario would involve shuttering Nicholls State University, McNeese State University, Southern University at New Orleans, LSU at Alexandria, LSU at Shreveport, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Grambling State University and Northwestern State University.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/93595549.html

SLC if we lose LA schools and UTSA/Texas st.

That leaves us with

SFA
Central Ark
SHSU
Lamar
UTA
AMCC

SLC options

Central Ok
Tarleton st
Kingsville
Pan AM
Houston Baptist
Oral Roberts
Delta st
North Alabama
Incarnate Word
Abilene Christian
Midwestern
West Texas AM
Jacksonville
PVAM
Texas Southern
Southern Utah
North Dakota
South Dakota

There's also the fact that schools that participate in the FCS playoffs lose money.  Most FCS schools average less than 10K per game so it's not a money maker.  So for schools like UTSA and Texas State, if they have the money they'll make the jump to FBS.  There's a lot of FCS schools out there talking about going FBS.  I would not be surprised one bit if the NCAA gets rid of the FCS/FBS divisions.  What other D1 sport has divisions like that?

[quote name="coachacola" post="862380" timestamp="1285941284"]
There's also the fact that schools that participate in the FCS playoffs lose money.  Most FCS schools average less than 10K per game so it's not a money maker.  So for schools like UTSA and Texas State, if they have the money they'll make the jump to FBS.  There's a lot of FCS schools out there talking about going FBS.  I would not be surprised one bit if the NCAA gets rid of the FCS/FBS divisions.  What other D1 sport has divisions like that?
[/quote]Yes, much talk about getting rid of FCS/FBS in name, but  we will still see a split. Maybe BCS seperate itself from the NCAA.
The money will be with BCS.

Another scenario...

LA schools drop football but remain DI.  UCA joins MVC.
SLC becomes basketball conference. With addition of Oral Roberts and UALR, a very high rated basketball
conference. SFA, SHSU, and Lamar would have to find football affiliated conference membership or go Indy.

NWst
Mcneese
SELA
Nicholls
UALR
Oral Roberts

SHSU
UTA
AMCC
SFA
LAMAR
Pan AM

via katfans

Nicholls State is dead.

At least, somebody, or bodies, in Baton Rouge is trying to kill it.

The question is why. Since 2008 the Louisiana Legislature, with the approval of Gov. Bobby Jindal, has seen fit - supposedly in the name of efficiency - to cut Nicholls' budget 29.4 percent or $10.6 million. Try living on your present salary with a 30 percent cut and see how it affects you. Now, in typical Louisiana fashion, the Legislature is considering a possible 35 percent cut on top of that.

Upon hearing the news, Larry Howell, special assistant to Nicholls President Stephen Hulbert, put it succinctly: "An additional 35 percent cut will devastate this institution and cause irreversible harm."

http://www.tri-parishtimes.com/articles/2010/09/30/your_voice/columns/guest%20columnists/093_51_lloydchiassonnichollsstateonlifesupport.txt

[quote name="UNLV" post="862368" timestamp="1285940517"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73729.msg862187#msg862187 date=1285903477]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73729.msg861567#msg861567 date=1285865846]
[/quote]

[/quote]State higher education officials presented doom-and-gloom budget scenarios Tuesday to a state Senate committee showing what could happen when the federal stimulus money runs dry next summer.

One such possibility included the closure of eight of the state’s 14 public universities as a means to reduce state funding of college costs by 30 percent, or about $300 million.

That scenario would involve shuttering Nicholls State University, McNeese State University, Southern University at New Orleans, LSU at Alexandria, LSU at Shreveport, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Grambling State University and Northwestern State University.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/93595549.html
[/quote]

i could see em shuttering Nichols, the LSUs@--,..think Southern and Grambling are untouchable, NW and Mc would be safe, i think.....as for ULM..never could figure out why the need for two state schools  30 min apart

[quote name="coachacola" post="862380" timestamp="1285941284"]
[/quote]

These are the same comments that killed football back in 1989.  So, I guess we need to start planning on canceling football again!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont