West Orange-Stark vs. Friendswood Game Thread/FW Wins 35-34/Comments

WOSgrad

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="838259" timestamp="1283569704"]
They like to talk alot over there in Friendywood
[/quote]

Well since you brought it up Jack - I have never seen someone so giddy after a loss. But there is always some one who has to slam someone I guess. Lots of talk from both sides. At least our players did not feel the need to yell at the refs after the game and get chased away by WOS coaches and the cops. Lets talk about that kind of behavior Jack - but you were not at the game were you?

Great game WOS - and that is to the coaching staff - first class Hooks. Ton of respect for him from game plan perspective. Tighten up on the kids behavior.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was wondering if the refs rode home on the bus with the team or did they come in a school vehicle?  If you were at the same game I was, you would have seen the WORST officiated game in our history.  FW had 15 players on the field at all times.  Hard to beat those numbers.

[quote name="w" post="838540" timestamp="1283578965"]
Was wondering if the refs rode home on the bus with the team or did they come in a school vehicle?  If you were at the same game I was, you would have seen the WORST officiated game in our history.  FW had 15 players on the field at all times.  Hard to beat those numbers.
[/quote] ??? :o 

what went down in this one?

[quote name="scooter!" post="838537" timestamp="1283578785"]
what happened after the game?
[/quote]

In the middle of the field for all of the world to see, while the rest of the team was going thru the line to shake hands - a WOS player thought he would chase down the refs and yell his thoughts at them. The WOS coaches and police quickly got him out of there and the refs left the field. Terrible show of sportsmanship, I have never seen it before and I am sure he is in for a lot of running.

[quote name="w" post="838540" timestamp="1283578965"]
[/quote]

Please - do not even start that.  Each team had a couple bad calls and plenty of no calls. That is not what changed this game. Do not sully the kids efforts with that garbage.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="838547" timestamp="1283579236"]
[quote author=w link=topic=72416.msg838540#msg838540 date=1283578965]
[/quote]

Please - do not even start that.  Each team had a couple bad calls and plenty of no calls. That is not what changed this game. Do not sully the kids efforts with that garbage.
[/quote]

I hope you get to review the film again.  And yeah....it most certainly changed this game.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="838544" timestamp="1283579103"]
[quote author=scooter! link=topic=72416.msg838537#msg838537 date=1283578785]
[/quote]

In the middle of the field for all of the world to see, while the rest of the team was going thru the line to shake hands - a WOS player thought he would chase down the refs and yell his thoughts at them. The WOS coaches and police quickly got him out of there and the refs left the field. Terrible show of sportsmanship, I have never seen it before and I am sure he is in for a lot of running.
[/quote]i feel for the kid cause Hooks don't play  :o

if that happened Hooks will have him doing Mustang Miles til he's dreaming bout them in his sleep

See that in a close game, one team was penalized times for over 100 yards and the other 5 times for about 50. Was there a 20 yard pass interference call? If so how does that happen at the HS level?

Sounds like an exciting game. It does however look a little like the officiating was scewed one way.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="838544" timestamp="1283579103"]
[quote author=scooter! link=topic=72416.msg838537#msg838537 date=1283578785]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know what you were watching, but what I saw was an assistant coach trail  after a ref and he was collared by his father, not naming names here. The coach was pretty irate. I did not see any kids do anything of which you are descibing and I was at the game

Just to make this clear! None of the WOS playersd went after the refs after the game! It was our Offensive Coordinator that was going after the ref because they ran 3 seconds off the clock after our QB threw the ball away! Never know what could have happened but it sure did look like the refs wanted that game over! But none the less it was a GREAT game for both teams!

[quote name="the-riot07" post="838563" timestamp="1283580729"]
Just to make this clear! None of the WOS playersd went after the refs after the game! It was our Offensive Coordinator that was going after the ref because they ran 3 seconds off the clock after our QB threw the ball away! Never know what could have happened but it sure did look like the refs wanted that game over! But none the less it was a GREAT game for both teams!
[/quote]

The player was right there with him fella. I have it on film! He was being restrained as was one of the coaches. Not pretty. There could possibly have been one tick left, clock was run by a Deer Park assistant AD.

Too bad it had to end like that, great effort by both teams. There will be some sore boys in the am.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="838569" timestamp="1283580968"]
[quote author=the-riot07 link=topic=72416.msg838563#msg838563 date=1283580729]
[/quote]

The player was right there with him fella. I have it on film! He was being restrained as was one of the coaches. Not pretty. There could possibly have been one tick left, clock was run by a Deer Park assistant AD.

Too bad it had to end like that, great effort by both teams. There will be some sore boys in the am.
[/quote]

rofl, oh boo hoo. you ran your trap and are lucky you didnt take a loss. sounds like we had to play you and the refs. good. we benefit. you can scratch your heads. so much much for your alleged beatdown ;)

Wow...what a game.  This one had a playoff atmosphere.  It was like a 15-round championship fight. 

To those who thought FW would blowout WO-S...much of this opinion seems to be derived from the fact that Dayton "beat" WO-S in a scrimmage + Dayton is 0-6 against FW, therefore = WO-S will lose big.  That is not the right way to judge these games.  It always comes down to MATCH-UPS.  WO-S matched up well against FW and I knew going into this game that was the case.  WO-S had an obvious speed advantage at the skill positions and it was evident all night.  Also, THIS year's WO-S team has a real running game with a good O-line and a rotation of three backs that is very effective, something that has been missing for a few years.  We still have big play ability, too, so that combination gave FW more than they could handle.

After watching this game, I'm convinced WO-S is every bit as good as FW, and FW is impressive.  FW fans, congratulations on a hard-fought win.  WO-S had a legitimate shot at winning this game.  The first drive WO-S had at the beginning of the second half was pivotal.  We marched down the field to the 5-yard line, then have two bad snaps that put us back to the 25.  We would've and should've scored there.  'Woulda changed the final score. 

The officiating in this game has to be pointed out.  This takes nothing away from a well-played game by both teams, but the refs were terrible.  The penalties were very one-sided and you can't ignore that.  The pass-interference call late in the game where the WO-S player was TRAILING  the receiver (he looked like the intended target) was called when, if anything, it should have been offensive pass interference or a no-call.  Unbelievable.  The refs allowing 2-3 seconds to tick off the clock at the end after an incomplete pass out of bounds was awful.  It seems the refs were very flag-happy late in the game after the Mustangs continued to make stops on defense and it kept drives alive for FW.  Also, in the first half when our QB reached the ball past the first down marker as he went out of bounds was easily a first down play.  The officiating definitely had a bearing on the final outcome.  Again, I take nothing from the hard-knocks play by both teams.  I just hate to see officiating so much an influence on a game like this, especially when several were phantom calls. 

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="838604" timestamp="1283597507"]
Kudos to WO-S for putting up a great effort!  I was one who thought they would be overwhelmed, but they were not which does not bode well for the rest of the 3A football teams. 

Thankfully, even on a night when FW played terribly, they were able to win. 
[/quote]

Didn't look to me like FW played terribly.  Their QB was poised all night.  Rack this up to simply playing a strong opponent. 

[quote name="griff" post="838608" timestamp="1283600271"]
[quote author=FriendswoodFan link=topic=72416.msg838604#msg838604 date=1283597507]
Kudos to WO-S for putting up a great effort!  I was one who thought they would be overwhelmed, but they were not which does not bode well for the rest of the 3A football teams. 

[/quote]

Didn't look to me like FW played terribly.  Their QB was poised all night.  Rack this up to simply playing a strong opponent. 
[/quote]

Believe us, FW played terrible! Some of that was because of the opponent, some of it was all on us!

[quote name="Judex" post="838577" timestamp="1283583138"]
[quote author=fwstangs link=topic=72416.msg838569#msg838569 date=1283580968]
[quote author=the-riot07 link=topic=72416.msg838563#msg838563 date=1283580729]
[/quote]

[/quote]

rofl, oh boo hoo. you ran your trap and are lucky you didnt take a loss. sounds like we had to play you and the refs. good. we benefit. you can scratch your heads. so much much for your alleged beatdown ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for your quality input!

As an unbiased observer I have to point out that the officiating was not as bad as some people on here are saying. There was a couple of questionable calls (both ways) but it did not change the outcome in my opinion.

The interference call in the fourth quarter on WOS was definitely interference. The ball was in the air and the defender made contact, pushed, whatever you want to call it, the receiver. It did look like there should have been one or two seconds left on the clock after the last play.

The worst thing about this whole game was when that official got knocked out and the WOS fans were applauding. That was inexcusable. And it wasn't just one or two people in front of me.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="838643" timestamp="1283605933"]
As an unbiased observer I have to point out that the officiating was not as bad as some people on here are saying. There was a couple of questionable calls (both ways) but it did not change the outcome in my opinion.

The interference call in the fourth quarter on WOS was definitely interference. The ball was in the air and the defender made contact, pushed, whatever you want to call it, the receiver. It did look like there should have been one or two seconds left on the clock after the last play.

The worst thing about this whole game was when that official got knocked out and the WOS fans were applauding. That was inexcusable. And it wasn't just one or two people in front of me.
[/quote]
I will step forward and be the "some people" you're referring to.  You don't have to be a neutral fan to see something wrong with an official's call.  I think I'm the only one who has gone in to detail about this so far.  I disagree with you on the pass interference call.  The defender was BEHIND the receiver.  Furthermore, the receiver pushed off the defender.  If anything, they should have ruled 1) no call because the ball was uncatchable or 2) pass interference on the offense.  I'm interested in seeing the stats on penalties.  They were heavily weighed against WO-S, especially late in the game.

As for cheering the official getting hurt...I didn't hear that.  You should know there are always a few knuckleheads on every side of a game, so don't bother broad stroking "WO-S fans" into that, Mr. "unbiased observer."  Where I was sitting (50 yard line), we were all wondering what happened.  'Didn't see how he got hurt.   

[quote name="fwstangs" post="838628" timestamp="1283603760"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=72416.msg838608#msg838608 date=1283600271]
[quote author=FriendswoodFan link=topic=72416.msg838604#msg838604 date=1283597507]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Believe us, FW played terrible! Some of that was because of the opponent, some of it was all on us!
[/quote]
Well, believe me, we played terrible, too.   ::)

The interception our QB threw into two-deep zone coverage never should have been made.  No receiver in sight, and no pressure.  'Shoulda ran with it or thrown it away.  Also, late in the 2nd quarter when our receiver was dashing down the sideline and had the ball stripped.  I thought we would score on that drive.  Every time we had the ball (with the exception of when we were pinned inside the 10), it looked as if we could score.  But., like I said, we played terrible.  I guess our opponent had something to do with it...maybe.  :-\

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476