Taylor Trahan kicker for Nederland?

Michele

Woodard wanted him to kick, but the special teams coach told him that he would not get to kick unless the other kicker or punter got hurt. That's not what Taylor anticipated. Stephen F. Austin still wants him, so he will probably go up there after the fall semester.

Mayper is the special team coach. Taylor went to the walk-on try out by invitation from Woodard. Try-outs started off shakey. Then he got better as it went along. He ended up kicking like he always does. Although, they both have seen him kick in a game. Special team coach said that his try-out wasn't up to his expectations. I don't think Woodard and Mayper are on the same page.

[quote author=Buzz link=topic=72313.msg836564#msg836564 date=1283379123]
Mayper is the special team coach. Taylor went to the walk-on try out by invitation from Woodard. Try-outs started off shakey. Then he got better as it went along. He ended up kicking like he always does. Although, they both have seen him kick in a game. Special team coach said that his try-out wasn't up to his expectations. [color=red][b]I don't think Woodard and Mayper are on the same page.

[color=black]doesn't sound like it [/color]

Yes he is. And he is a good kicker. The All-State nominations come from their coaches, then voted on by the sportswriters association. But don't tell a kid that he is on the team and then you don't let him compete for the job. At this level, everyday is a competition.

You are right. I'm not disagreeing with that fact. But don't tell a player that he is the same caliber as your starter, then tell him that he can't even challenge for the spot. And if the coach thought that the first player was better than the second, why put the second player on the team. Special team coach even stated that the kicker and punter would back each other up. Why promise some one else? I guess my point is not whether one is better than the other, but don't make promises and not fulfill them. Just don't make them to begin with.

Buzz I do not think you have the whole story... Did you hear the coach tell him that he could not challenge for the spot??  I think not... So take your hearsay elsewhere! (maybe he just was not good enough and it is easier to make failure someone elses fault)

I don't have any first hand knowledge of this story - but from your own post no one should have thought that the kid was on the team.  If he went to walk on tryouts, even if by invitation, that means absolutely nothing.  he wasn't offered a scholarship; there is no promise of a position on the team when you are trying out.

I wish the kid the best - even if he goes to SFA.

[quote name="LUFAN" post="836817" timestamp="1283437207"]
Buzz I do not think you have the whoel story... Did you hear the coach tell him that he could not challenge for the spot??  I think not... So take your hearsay elsewhere! (maybe he just was not good enough and it is easier to make failure someone elses fault)
[/quote]
If you knew who Buzz is, you would not have asked the question.  I think I know who he is and I'm with him.  There should have been a  competition, it only to put pressure on the other freshman kicker. I am disappointed in the way Lamar has treated him.  It brings back old memories of in the, locals being snubbed.  And why some are negative about Lamar. Granted there are a good number of locals on the team, and there will be disappointments, but I think this one is a mistake that could come back to bite you. We will be playing SFA.  Good luck to Taylor where ever he goes.

For your information, I WAS there and he even said this on the phone. This is not here say! Have you even seen Taylor kick? And he did offer Taylor a "Preferred Walk-On Spot". Woodard just wanted him to go through the motions. But enough about this. This is not what this board is about. I wish Lamar well. I hope they have a great season. If you want the EXACT conversation, you can e-mail me.

All I can say is I saw the young man kick in one game last year and he has a very strong leg.  If the other young man is better then that is great and I'm sure Lamar's coaches wish him well.  I just hope he really did get a fair chance.  The kicker spot is always tough and you see a lot of player movement on professional teams.  Look how much Matt Bryant has moved around.  Lamar is going to miss a few locals they could and should have got and there are other local kids that they will want badly who choose to go elsewhere.  I hope that the majority of the time they make the right decisions onlocal players and put a winning and entertaining product on the field.  I think everyone else feels the same about that.

[quote name="Buzz" post="836888" timestamp="1283444507"]
It's alright. I just want every kid to get a fair chance. If they don't make it with that chance, then they'll just have to work harder. That's all. Go Dogs, Go Big Red, Oh, and Go Jacks.
[/quote]

Buzz.    I wish Taylor all the luck in the world.

Wig

I have seen this kid kick and he does have a leg.  In the All Star game which was played in Port Neches in June  he kicked the ball out the back of the end zone during kick offs which earned him the Co-MVP of the Summer All Star Football Game, During his warm ups of a playoff game he was kicking 61 yard Field Goals, pretty impressive if you ask me. He also got private lessons from Matt Bryant.  I wish him well and I know he will be playing somewhere on Saturdays but only wish he was playing for LAMAR.

[quote name="99cards" post="842932" timestamp="1284125696"]
I have seen this kid kick and he does have a leg.  In the All Star game which was played in Port Neches in June  he kicked the ball out the back of the end zone during kick offs which earned him the Co-MVP of the Summer All Star Football Game, During his warm ups of a playoff game he was kicking 61 yard Field Goals, pretty impressive if you ask me. He also got private lessons from Matt Bryant.  I wish him well and I know he will be playing somewhere on Saturdays but only wish he was playing for LAMAR.
[/quote]

I SECOND THAT !!!!..... GOOD LUCK TAYLOR

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami