The Top 4A Darkhorse

I've been preaching about Montgomery being underrated since last year.  IMO, this team is dangerous and deserves way more credit than they get.  In setx terms, think of it like this...  When Brenham and Montgomery hook up this year, it will have the feel of PNG vs Central.  The winner will likely to be the district champ, and it will be a great game to watch.  There's 7 years of starting experience between the 2 QB's and 7 years of starting experience between the HB's.  Both teams have pretty stout defenses.  I think the only thing that will set us apart, is our receiving corp.  If I were a D1 playoff team, I wouldn't want to draw Montgomery come playoff time.   

[quote name="bigdaddyblue" post="823418" timestamp="1281122970"]
Well here at Crosby we start the year off at home against them..Find out real fast what kind of team we both have..There RB was the best we played against all year and he is back...
[/quote]

Ya, I know we had to play the 2 leading rushers in 4A...  Jonathan Gray and Leroy Dobbins.  Dobbins doesn't get the publicity the other top backs do, thanks to his size, but he's not just speed.  They give him the ball 30+ times a game.  Teams stacked the box so much to slow him down, it led to the coach's son putting up that kind of TD/INT ratio. (19/1) 

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="823379" timestamp="1281115105"]
I've been preaching about Montgomery being underrated since last year.  IMO, this team is dangerous and deserves way more credit than they get.  In setx terms, think of it like this...  When Brenham and Montgomery hook up this year, it will have the feel of PNG vs Central.  The winner will likely to be the district champ, and it will be a great game to watch.  There's 7 years of starting experience between the 2 QB's and 7 years of starting experience between the HB's.  Both teams have pretty stout defenses.  I think the only thing that will set us apart, is our receiving corp.  [b]If I were a D1 playoff team, I wouldn't want to draw Montgomery come playoff time. [/b]  
[/quote]

After hearing a report from a fairly modest father, regarding Humble's Defense (First day of pads was friday)....I say bring it.

Id like nothing more then to draw them.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="823440" timestamp="1281129904"]
[quote author=bigdaddyblue link=topic=71442.msg823418#msg823418 date=1281122970]
Well here at Crosby we start the year off at home against them..Find out real fast what kind of team we both have..There RB was the best we played against all year and he is back...
[/quote]

Ya, I know we had to play the 2 leading rushers in 4A...  Jonathan Gray and Leroy Dobbins.  Dobbins doesn't get the publicity the other top backs do, thanks to his size, but he's not just speed.  They give him the ball 30+ times a game.  Teams stacked the box so much to slow him down, it led to the coach's son putting up that kind of TD/INT ratio. (19/1) 
[/quote]

You do realize that Dobbins is running behind an almost entirely new offensive line?  I expect him to do well, but he will not have a year like last year.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="823761" timestamp="1281283992"]
Suprised to hear Ball, I spoke with some city officials over there recently that said Galveston's population is down around 35-40 thousand people now. Ball always has talent though.
[/quote]

Numbers are down around 400 according to the UIL but Suggs is coaching and besides a slip @Nimitz, he has a proven track record of turning programs around......

[quote name="HUM398" post="823696" timestamp="1281235828"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=71442.msg823440#msg823440 date=1281129904]
[quote author=bigdaddyblue link=topic=71442.msg823418#msg823418 date=1281122970]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realize that Dobbins is running behind an almost entirely new offensive line?   I expect him to do well, but he will not have a year like last year.
[/quote]

True, but he'll still be really good.  His vision and breakaway sped will help him alot though.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="823940" timestamp="1281326431"]
[quote author=HUM398 link=topic=71442.msg823696#msg823696 date=1281235828]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=71442.msg823440#msg823440 date=1281129904]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realize that Dobbins is running behind an almost entirely new offensive line?   I expect him to do well, but he will not have a year like last year.
[/quote]

True, but he'll still be really good.  His vision and breakaway sped will help him alot though.
[/quote]

Not doubting his ability, but the success last year is largely because of a solid offensive line.  Dobbins is a difficult guy to block for, and it will take some meshing for them to become customed to him.  He doesn't wait for the line, he'll just go.  To me that is his biggest flaw, a lack of patience behind the line of scrimmage....behind a solid line, its not a problem...but behind new guys, i could see the first 2 games being a learning experiance for them and him.

[quote name="HUM398" post="823695" timestamp="1281235747"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=71442.msg823379#msg823379 date=1281115105]
I've been preaching about Montgomery being underrated since last year.  IMO, this team is dangerous and deserves way more credit than they get.  In setx terms, think of it like this...  When Brenham and Montgomery hook up this year, it will have the feel of PNG vs Central.  The winner will likely to be the district champ, and it will be a great game to watch.  There's 7 years of starting experience between the 2 QB's and 7 years of starting experience between the HB's.  Both teams have pretty stout defenses.  I think the only thing that will set us apart, is our receiving corp.  [b]If I were a D1 playoff team, I wouldn't want to draw Montgomery come playoff time. [/b]  
[/quote]

After hearing a report from a fairly modest father, regarding Humble's Defense (First day of pads was friday)....I say bring it.

Id like nothing more then to draw them.
[/quote]

Careful what you wish for because it might come true.

• 2 weeks later...
I vaguely remembering a 4th down stop against this team... im not dreaming right?

They were too 1 dimensional last year that kids good but he can't beat a team  (by himself)

as the 3 stops within 5 yards of the goalie prove. and a swat down on fourth (time expired/ w/e)

I agree thought they are a good Darkhorse.

But if they're a dark horse then why is C-town getting NO love. we have a D1 prospect in Merka (TCU) and good players, granted not glitzy players. Little luv would be nice however.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="Cougtalk" post="829150" timestamp="1282518694"]
I vaguely remembering a 4th down stop against this team... im not dreaming right?

They were too 1 dimensional last year that kids good but he can't beat a team  (by himself)

as the 3 stops within 5 yards of the goalie prove. and a swat down on fourth (time expired/ w/e)

But if they're a dark horse then why is C-town getting NO love. we have a D1 prospect in Merka (TCU) and good players, granted not glitzy players. Little luv would be nice however.
[/quote][color=purple][b][size=14pt]DAYTON BRONCOS[/size][/b][/color]<----Will be showing (C-Town ???) love come Oct. 29th with a ----> ;D

[quote name="octfeb" post="829891" timestamp="1282653814"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=71442.msg829150#msg829150 date=1282518694]

[/quote][color=purple][b][size=14pt]DAYTON BRONCOS[/size][/b][/color]<----Will be showing (C-Town ???) love come Oct. 29th with a ----> ;D
[/quote]I remember all that talk last year as well about dayton smoking Crosby....... How did that work out for ya!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="hitman009" post="829906" timestamp="1282656668"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=71442.msg829891#msg829891 date=1282653814]

[/quote]I remember all that talk last year as well about dayton smoking Crosby....... How did that work out for ya!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

oh well.... guess it worked out the 10 times before. I like the odds.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="hitman009" post="829906" timestamp="1282656668"]

[/quote](C-Town ???) beat Dayton how many times in the last decade?But you can stand on the ONE win.. Its ok. We over here in [size=14pt][color=purple][b]DAYTON[/b][/color][/size] don't mind. *checks previous comment* nope didn't see anything bout me saying Dayton gonna smoke Crosby.. Cougtalk said"Little luv would be nice however"  I was politely telling them that come Oct. 29th yall would be getting a little luv. *hands cup of coffee*  :D

[quote name="dayton" post="829910" timestamp="1282657123"]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=71442.msg829906#msg829906 date=1282656668]

[/quote]

[/quote]so do I. Just like the mike tyson loss.  now Crosby knows they can win....

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="829912" timestamp="1282657336"]
You guys are worse than Ned and PNG fans. LOL  ;)
[/quote]

Almost..... after rivalry week though, PNG/NED fans can hug it out. Dayton and Crosby aren't to that point yet. That'll probably take another 50 years or so. :D

[quote name="hitman009" post="829915" timestamp="1282657485"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=71442.msg829910#msg829910 date=1282657123]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=71442.msg829906#msg829906 date=1282656668]

They were too 1 dimensional last year that kids good but he can't beat a team  (by himself)

[/quote]

[/quote]so do I. Just like the mike tyson loss.  [b]now Crosby knows they can win[/b]....
[/quote]

:D
Then how do you explain the 9 years after the win in 99??? ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder