The UIL May Make Some Changes

3A Spring Football? Boys volleyball?

AUSTIN, TX: The University Interscholastic League Legislative Council will convene October 15-16 at the Austin Airport Hilton to review UIL rules and vote on proposed rule changes.

The UIL Legislative Council meets annually to hear testimony from interested parties and consider changes in UIL policy. Some proposals that will highlight the agenda at this year's meeting include:

· Adding boys volleyball;

· Changing the swimming season;

· Allowing all 3A schools to conduct Spring Football practice on a three-year trial basis;· Requiring each high school campus to have one Automated External

Defibrillator (AED).

My on opinion on it is i wouldn't do it if i were a coach. Here's the reason why. First of all i like 7 on 7. 7 on 7 is great practice during the Summer for the QB's and recievers (WOS). If you do Spring football you have to wait a week in August to start. To me this is the time you need to be in pads and getting after it before week 0.

In 5A and 4A if you play baseball you don't do spring practice. The problem HF would have is all the QBs and the RBs play baseball. We wouldn't have the real squad for coaches to make any decisions. Its hard enough to get the baseball coaches to allow baseball players to run track they couldn't possibly do all three.

What is the bottom enrollment number for 3A, around 450? Some schools may not have enough kids to go around. Their concern is probably some schools don't have enough kids to do it, and the bigger schools will just get a bigger edge. I guess by doing a trial, they will hopefully figure it out.

Men's Volleyball is growing

Texas universities compete at the men's club volleyball level within the Southwest Intercollegiate Volleyball Association.

In NCAA competition men's volleyball is a spring sport.

To go to the NCAAsports.com page:

http://www.ncaasports.com/volleyball/mens

This link shows all universities participating in NCAA men's volleyball:

http://web1.ncaa.org/ssLists/sportByInst.do?sport=MVB&division=ALL

Here is last season's final CSTV/AVCA Division I-II Coaches Poll:

1 UCLA

2 UC Irvine

3 Long Beach State

4 Hawai’i

5 Penn State

6 Pepperdine

7 BYU