ANYTHING WORLD CUP

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a relatively boring day today.  two weak teams tie 1-1, IC vs. Portugal ends 0-0 in a game with about 2 good scoring chances the whole game, and at this point, at least, N. Korea has held Brazil 0-0 through 50 minutes.  That last fact is pretty impressive considering that Brazil is #1, and N. Korea #105 in the world...

[flash=200,200][/flash]

Anything goes wrong will be blamed on the ball or those damned horns!  Though I've seen and heard the horns in the states and at a few HS games.  Watching World Cup on mute. One game was enough with the bees.  Wish they had commentary from a sound proof booth. 

[quote name="bullets13000" post="812888" timestamp="1276630457"]
a relatively boring day today.  two weak teams tie 1-1, IC vs. Portugal ends 0-0 in a game with about 2 good scoring chances the whole game, and at this point, at least, N. Korea has held Brazil 0-0 through 50 minutes.  That last fact is pretty impressive considering that Brazil is #1, and N. Korea #105 in the world...
[/quote]

Ronaldo had one very nice shot that glanced off the post..

It seemed like North Korea was playing a very defensive game, had the entire team back on defense several times.. looked like they were mainly just trying to slow down Brazil.. which they managed to do for the majority of the game.. The first goal for Brazil by Maicon seemed to be just very lucky.. looked like he meant it as a cross and it just happened to go straight.. North Korea had a few other chances to score.. I was impressed with North Korea because as you said they are #105 and Brazil is #1

Drogba played today, and Portugal's coach complained.  He thinks that FIFA is bending the rules a bit by letting him play with a cast because he's so culturally significant in Africa, and i'm kind of inclined to agree with him, although i'm glad Drogba is on the field.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="813006" timestamp="1276650972"]
US need a win especially after Slovenia already has a win so it would be huge for us to potentially take the group lead! But we will take additional motivation. I hope their us no let down from the huge England game
[/quote]

a tie against slovenia and a win against algeria would probably ensure the US advancing, but a loss and they're pretty much done.

Why is scoring down so much this Cup?  Statistically, is the number of shots on goal down, or what?  And look at Spain.  Plays practically the entire game on the attacking third and loses 1-0.  Of course, in the last 5 WC games they've played, Swiss have let up 0 goals...

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="813264" timestamp="1276742903"]
Why is scoring down so much this Cup?  Statistically, is the number of shots on goal down, or what?  And look at Spain.  Plays practically the entire game on the attacking third and loses 1-0.  Of course, in the last 5 WC games they've played, Swiss have let up 0 goals...
[/quote]

i still think the ball has something to do with it.  25 goals between the 32 teams in the first 16 games is hard to ignore.  maybe they're starting to figure it out, though, as Uruguay went off for 3 goals today in their second game.

things are looking up in the goal scoring department.  3 goals in the first game of the second set of games, and then 3 goals in the first half so far this morning of Argentina/S. Korea, although two of the goals have come off of brutal defensive mistakes.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="ECBucFan" post="812222" timestamp="1276464267"]
Do note we are very, very early yet. I am willing to bet the scoring will heat up in the days to come.
[/quote]

;)

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="813365" timestamp="1276795970"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=70431.msg812222#msg812222 date=1276464267]
Do note we are very, very early yet. I am willing to bet the scoring will heat up in the days to come.
[/quote]

;)
[/quote]

Earlier today i was thinking about the original post that you put (which states what you have above) and i got to give it to you! You Called It! I was thinking that the goals would stay low and that we would see alot of good defensive play.

First round  nobody can afford the loss so play conservative.  Second round now you have teams desperate to win,  and so they attack more leaving their back end open,  giving up goals, or they go forward and make chances and then get goals off the chances.  Its now about WINNING not just a tie.

This is ridiculous...  The ref in in the Germany game just gave Klose his second yellow card in only the 36th minute.  It's the 5th yellow card this game.  Two minutes later Serbia goes up 1-0.  It's truely sad to see a game being decided by a ref, instead of the players.  Especially when your losing probably your best player for more than a game and half.  In the 46th minute, Germany just got a rebound off a corner and hit the crossbar with a rocket from about 16 yards out.  Then that shot is followed by a bicycle from about 10 yards away....which would've been in, if not for the defender by the post.  Even the announcers agree how bad calls have been.  Especially, sending Klose off.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder