HillGuy...Shannon Evans recovery report.

HillGuy, I started to PM you, but I know there are many others like myself who would like to continue to encourage and extend well wishes to Shannon in her recovery after her knee injury and surgery.  Can you give us an updated progress report? I hope things are going well for all.

I know many of you know Shannon Evans and are aware of her athletic abilities maybe even to a greater extent than I do, but I have to say that I am extremely impressed with this young lady.  Her athletic ability speaks for itself, but one of the things that impressed me maybe more than anything is the attitude she brought to the first playoff game after her injury.  During BH's playoff game with LCM I found myself watching Shannon during the breaks in the action on the court.  Even though I know she was dying to be on the court, she stayed involved, encouraged her teammates, and did whatever she could to be a team player.  Shannon was given every opportunity to be down, whine, and moan but instead she stayed true to her team.

They say in tough times your true character shines through...I think I got a good look at Shannon's true character that night and I couldn't have been more impressed.
Good luck Shannon and hope to see you back soon!

Guest bleed orange
Great post slam. It makes me feel good to know that there are still people in the society we live in that have heart and truely care about other people. Very refreshing post slam. I wish nothing but the best for your daughter "hillguy". See "Hillguy" is one of the classiest persons on this web page. Daughter must take after dad.

Thanks Guys...I don't know what she got from Dad, but BB talent evidently came from Mom  ;D

She is doing really well considering.  ACL surgery on March 2 went extremely well according to doc, but since she had a small meniscus tear as well, she has to stay on crutches (no weight on foot/leg) for at least a month.  She is re-habbing nicely though but its slowed because of the meniscus heal.  Meniscus was torn and repaired in a place that should heal completely though which is wonderful, since that is not always possible.

She continues to have a great attitude and is confident about recovery and chomping at the bit to get a basketball in her hands...but one step at time is necessary.  I have learned more about ACL injuries in the last month than I ever thought I would.  It is amazing to know what can be done now to repair them.  Its also scary to know that girls are 4 times more likely to have that injury than boys (in the same sport).  There are MANY college girls playing at the top of their game that have gone through this...which really helps to know when pushing through the painful, 6 month rehab.

It means a lot to me (and her) that her attitude is recognized as much as her BB skill.  Especially coming from both of you.  Wishing KK and Tiff all the best and injury free till they decide to move to the next challenge in life!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Shannon is a great student and athlete!  I am glad to hear that she is recovering nicely.  Sounds like she has the right attitude to get through this injury and the associated rehabilitation.  She is one of my favorites and I can't wait to see her play next year.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="HillGuy" post="801329" timestamp="1273809253"]
Thanks for the nice words from everyone!  Shan is cleared to start running next week.  No complications so far.    ;D

Not supposed to be shooting yet but she has been sneaking around shooting free throws I think   ;)
[/quote]

Good to hear HillGuy.

[quote name="HillGuy" post="801329" timestamp="1273809253"]
Thanks for the nice words from everyone!  Shan is cleared to start running next week.  No complications so far.    ;D

Not supposed to be shooting yet but she has been sneaking around shooting free throws I think   ;)
[/quote]

Fantastic news!  Glad to hear there have been no complications. 

I started this thread as a testament to what I saw in Shannon's character and I have absolutely no doubt that she has all of the tools that it takes to get back to 100%...both physically and mentally. 

Great kid, great parents.  (even dad  ;))

Good luck and continued success in your recovery!

Guest jhamilton
Good to hear the good news bc no kid should have to go through that but glad to hear she is ok. Thanks for the updates.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    doctorelviss
    Newest Member
    doctorelviss