Yates No. 1 in all five National Polls!

[font=Courier]"The Yates Lions can officially call themselves the No. 1 team in the nation.

The latest national high school basketball polls were released on Monday and the back-to-back Class 4A state champions were listed atop all five of them, reaching a goal that they set for themselves back at the start of the season."

"It's an unbelievable feeling because if you look what we've accomplished and the kind of kids we have at the school in that they all come from the same area - to go against people from all across the country and programs that recruit kids from all parts of the state and private schools and schools with 3,000-4,000 kids - and be able to do that is amazing," Yates coach Greg Wise said. "It's hard to put into words what a special feeling it is because I know how hard our kids worked. [b]Their mindset at the beginning of the season was to be the best in the country.[/b]"[/font]

[url=http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/hso/6925677.html]Rest of story [/url]

Just heard that Yates coach is a candidate for the UH job. Just what the University of  Houston needs. 1 of their own. bring that style back to college ball. Should be fun to see if he gets it. I hope he does!!

I've saw how this coach has been criticized throughout the season and it speaks volumes on how this team was able to accomplish a MAJOR goal they set at the beginning of the season. They wanted to be #1 in [u]THE NATION[/u], not Texas, not the Southeastern Region, but the Nation.

To all the naysayers and criticizers, what can you say now?

[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="780692" timestamp="1269364154"]
I've saw how this coach has been criticized throughout the season and it speaks volumes on how this team was able to accomplish a MAJORGgoal they set at the beginning of the season. They wanted to be #1 in [u]THE NATION[/u], not Texas, not the Southeastern Region, but the Nation.

[/quote]True very true!

[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="780692" timestamp="1269364154"]
I've saw how this coach has been criticized throughout the season and it speaks volumes on how this team was able to accomplish a MAJORGgoal they set at the beginning of the season. They wanted to be #1 in [u]THE NATION[/u], not Texas, not the Southeastern Region, but the Nation.

[/quote]
When do they hand out the national trophy?

[quote name="westend1" post="780718" timestamp="1269367505"]
[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=67660.msg780692#msg780692 date=1269364154]

[/quote]
When do they hand out the national trophy?
[/quote]I wish Aggie would do the presentation LIVE!!!!

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="781241" timestamp="1269439888"]
I guess most of the people on the board are on vacation.  ::)
[/quote]

No not all. I am always happy when a team from Texas does good. Even on the college level. Congrats to the Yates team because they do represent the great state of Texas. I think people have not responded because they are loyal to southeast Texas mainly the golden triangle. That is a normal response. Area's only support area teams. Do you think if a golden triangle team was number 1 in the country that people from houston would get on here and support that team? I don't think so. Normal reaction.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="781576" timestamp="1269480496"]
[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=67660.msg781241#msg781241 date=1269439888]
[/quote]

No not all. I am always happy when a team from Texas does good. Even on the college level. Congrats to the Yates team because they do represent the great state of Texas. I think people have not responded because they are loyal to southeast Texas mainly the golden triangle. That is a normal response. Area's only support area teams. Do you think if a golden triangle team was number 1 in the country that people from houston would get on here and support that team? I don't think so. Normal reaction.
[/quote]

You missed the whole point. I was speaking on the criticism...but oh well. People are quick to criticize but slow to congratulate.

[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="781726" timestamp="1269526022"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=67660.msg781576#msg781576 date=1269480496]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You missed the whole point. I was speaking on the criticism...but oh well. People are quick to criticize but slow to congratulate.
[/quote]

Congrats.  Probably never would have happened without that 135 point win.        ::)

[quote name="westend1" post="782331" timestamp="1269618313"]
[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=67660.msg781726#msg781726 date=1269526022]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=67660.msg781576#msg781576 date=1269480496]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Congrats.  Probably never would have happened without that 135 point win.        ::)
[/quote]It's not how you start the journey, but make sure you complete it with a bang ;D

Congratulations to the players from Yates on achieving the national ranking. The players for the Lions should be commended for how hard they played and they'll be rememebered as one of the top 10 teams in state history.

Guest speechless
[quote name="no-look" post="782618" timestamp="1269653606"]
Heard that Milbys point guard just transfered to Yates. He scored 46 in one game this year....
[/quote]Naw-that can't be. That team doesn't recruit-they are as pure as the wind driven snow

[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="781241" timestamp="1269439888"]
[/quote]

actually, i have been!  spring break for BISD was this week, so i haven't been on the boards.  Congrats to the players on an amazing season, and an amazing achievement.  i still think their coach is a (insert derogatory comment here)

[quote name="no-look" post="782618" timestamp="1269653606"]
Heard that Milbys point guard just transfered to Yates. He scored 46 in one game this year....
[/quote]Aren't you in Lufkin. Players are coming to Yates because of the success this year. Kids transfer all the time.

Wise is BOTH a top coach AND a top recruiter. Always has been. Don't think he's a U of H alum. Think its Houston Baptist. Congrats to Yates, they publicly announced their goal, putting a humongous bullseye on their chests. Wise took the heat/criticism that splattered ALL OVER the kids, they played with total class, enthusiasm and heart. Cannot ask for more. One of the signature teams of all-time in Texas. Why oh why can't people just congratulate them without a parting shot at the coach?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="782897" timestamp="1269668712"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=67660.msg782618#msg782618 date=1269653606]
[/quote]Aren't you in Lufkin. Players are coming to Yates because of the success this year. Kids transfer all the time.
[/quote]"If you build it they will come".........for educational purposes only...lol...........Yeah , I'm from Lufkin, we lost one to Yates too.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298