dayton broncos before the Jerry Stewart era

I went to the broncos games way before Jerry Stewart arrived here. We had alot of div.1 prospects in Dayton but just didn't have the coaching. If we had the couching we have now, we would've had a ton of players in div.1 colleges. We had some fine athletes. Just didn't have the coaching. all i can say is that we have it now."a coach that cares about the players and families" thank you Jerry Stewart and your coaching staff

[quote name="knightrider" post="777399" timestamp="1268694617"]
I went to the broncos games way before Jerry Stewart arrived here. We had alot of div.1 prospects in Dayton but just didn't have the coaching. If we had the couching we have now, we would've had a ton of players in div.1 colleges. We had some fine athletes. Just didn't have the coaching. all i can say is that we have it now."a coach that cares about the players and families" thank you Jerry Stewart and your coaching staff
[/quote]

Great post Coach.  :D

[quote name="Buddy09" post="777414" timestamp="1268696872"]
[quote author=knightrider link=topic=67370.msg777399#msg777399 date=1268694617]
[/quote]lol, not a coach, just an old bleacher creature. ;D

[/quote]

[quote name="Buddy09" post="777414" timestamp="1268696872"]
[quote author=knightrider link=topic=67370.msg777399#msg777399 date=1268694617]
[/quote]

[/quote]seriously, just an old and dedicated bronco fan. "always believe"

I also think that Dayton didnt have the athletes in the 90's that they have now.  We played them in 94-95 and they werent good know matter who coached them.  I know some people from there and when they werent that good, Liberty, HD and a few others were.  Where now, the kids from those schools are heading that way.  What's the kids name with the braids that is the anchor on the 4x4?  Saw him at Liberty.  Pretty fast.  What does he play in football?

Playa, that's what this post is about! Didn't Moynahan win a state championship with that team.....? They would have beaten most teams in 4A.

Dayton has had the athletes, just not the development. They do a great job there, and Stewart is an amazing football mind, but they work their butts off to get there!

During the mid 90's Dayton definitely had the athletes to be competitive.  Regardless of what Larry Sherman might lead you to believe, Dayton had athletes.  What Dayton didn't have was a head coach like Jerry Stewart.  Instead we had a coach that liked to utilize the 3rd down quick kick and the QB sneak so often that a 3 year old could see it coming.  Also, if a play worked, it was guaranteed to be run again the very next play.  On top of the complete incompetence at the top, the strength and conditioning was a joke.  Coach Bell should have been in charge of the workout program.  He knew something about strength training.  Instead we did a workout called the "Dirty 30" which was the biggest waste of time.  I could have gotten a better workout sitting on the can.  Also there was no summer workout program in place.  We just showed up for two a days.  Now there is a program in place that has proven to be effective.  Great coaching, player development, and a rigorous conditioning program.  To think that Dayton all of the sudden had an in flux of talent is pretty ridiculous.  It's been there, but never had anybody that knew what to do with it.

[quote name="downgoesfrazier" post="779795" timestamp="1269137472"]
During the mid 90's Dayton definitely had the athletes to be competitive.  Regardless of what Larry Sherman might lead you to believe, Dayton had athletes.  What Dayton didn't have was a head coach like Jerry Stewart.  Instead we had a coach that liked to utilize the 3rd down quick kick and the QB sneak so often that a 3 year old could see it coming.  Also, if a play worked, it was guaranteed to be run again the very next play.  On top of the complete incompetence at the top, the strength and conditioning was a joke.  Coach Bell should have been in charge of the workout program.  He knew something about strength training.  Instead we did a workout called the "Dirty 30" which was the biggest waste of time.  I could have gotten a better workout sitting on the can.  Also there was no summer workout program in place.  We just showed up for two a days.  Now there is a program in place that has proven to be effective.  Great coaching, player development, and a rigorous conditioning program.  To think that Dayton all of the sudden had an in flux of talent is pretty ridiculous.  It's been there, but never had anybody that knew what to do with it.
[/quote]yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="downgoesfrazier" post="779795" timestamp="1269137472"]
[/quote]

I almost forgot that dirty 30 BS!!! LMAO!!! Let us not forget that Breckenridge baby!

[quote name="rapayne" post="779854" timestamp="1269178132"]
[quote author=downgoesfrazier link=topic=67370.msg779795#msg779795 date=1269137472]
[/quote]

I almost forgot that dirty 30 BS!!! LMAO!!! Let us not forget that Breckenridge baby!
[/quote] :D :D :D :D

[quote name="rapayne" post="779854" timestamp="1269178132"]
[quote author=downgoesfrazier link=topic=67370.msg779795#msg779795 date=1269137472]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Loved me some Breckenridge

The key word in this topic is "PROGRAM".  Coach Stewart has a "Program" in place.  It is something that every kid believes in.  It is something that they know from the 7th grade on.  The thing about a program is that it takes time.  Some coaches don't allow themselves to develop that.  Another thing is coach Stewart has a great coaching staff.  NO coach develops a program on his own.  You have to have assistants that also believe in what the head coach wants and is committed to it.  Coach Stewart was not a come in and leave coach...he has come in and developed a "Program".  Like him or not....he gets 100% out of his kids...that can't be bad.  Especially in these days and times when accountability is not a high priority in society, he holds his players accountable for their commitment.  Just my opinion...we have coached against him for years and he is ALWAYS tough.

DGFrazier...has nailed it...

i was lucky enough to see the transformation first hand...on varsity as a sophomore in '95-96 I saw the lows of Bronco Football (Sherman to Fain to Van Zandt...3 coaching changes in one year!)...then, in the spring of '96, a new sheriff rode into town.  the best comparison i can make is to Wyatt Earp in Tombstone...it was amazing, and a commanding personality like no one had ever seen in Dayton before.  And everyone in the old Bronco weighroom that day knew it...

Big Stew cleared out all of the current staff and graduating seniors from the room and leveled with us, the bronco football team that would take the field that coming fall...get on or get off, right now...i'm glad I got on the train...

14 years later, over a hundred wins, 14 straight playoff appearances...dozens of district, bi-district, area, and regional championships...what can I say...this is the TRUE definition of a PROGRAM

i'm proud to say I was/am a part!

keep it real...mikehoncho...sr '98

You cannot express enuff the job well done by the entire Dayton coaching staff over 14 years and I expect many more as many have recently bought or built new homes within shouting distance from Bronco Stadium or the high school including Coach Stewart.Many like myself marvel and wish we could have played under his staff.Yes Dayton had the atheletes lots of times but to be perfectly honest many played in the wrong position and everbody knew we were going to run,run,run and rarely throw.The 69 team had alot of talent but lacked a great passing attack and went undefeated and caught a huge talented Lufkin Dunbar team right out the gate and came close to winning that game.You can list many 1,000 yd.rushers to pass thru Broncoland but just a few QB'S ever threw for over 1000 yds.Dayton before the Stewart era was basically Defense oriented to cause turnovers then control the clock w/ rushing.The RB/Special teams guy that comes to mind to me before the Stewart era has always been the speedy slashing changing direction Kenny Roberts a little guy- like A.J that was a game breaker everytime he touched the pigskin with alot smaller linemen both ways.Cody Green set the bar for QB @ Dayton all time.Always Believe #15 yrs.in a row will be another stellar year.More record breakers and more Bronco faithful.Excitement has never been so anticipated in our youth as well as us oldtimers.I believe it won't be long till we see another former Bronco playing on Sunday.To my knowledge Billy Bell(K.C-Houston) has been the only one.That just proves how hard this game is to make a living out of playing football.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="SETEXFan" post="791940" timestamp="1271689311"]
AMEN.   

[quote author=B.M.F. link=topic=67370.msg791938#msg791938 date=1271689018]
Dayton is good because Jerry Stewart developed a program. 
[/quote]
[/quote]
IMO...
The key starts in 7th grade....
Dayton is VERY LUCKY to just have AWEsome coaching in 7th and 8th grade.
They have had the same junior high head coach for the last ten or so years and he is AWEsome!
Dayton's football program is top notch in 7th and 8th grade, and when the kids go up to high shool, the winning just continues!
It is really amazing to see the talent and speed that just keep coming through the junior high here in Dayton.
The current 9th graders and 7th graders have loads of speed, size, and talent.
Look for the Broncos to keep making it to the quarter finals, at least for the next five years, the talent and the coaching are there for this to happen.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="792968" timestamp="1271871795"]
[quote author=B.M.F. link=topic=67370.msg791938#msg791938 date=1271689018]
Dayton is good because Jerry Stewart developed a program.  
[/quote] It takes talent to win. Your crazy if you don't think the developement of the Dayton area is a big factor in their winning.
[/quote]

Of course it takes talent. But there was a lot of talent here before. There was an immediate change when Coach Stewart showed up. People from Dayton saw that. You don't go from being the cellar dweller for years, to beating Jasper, making the playoffs, and giving WOS a great game in that 1st playoff in one year because of growth in the city... in fact, all the playmakers from that team that I can remember had grown up in Dayton. I suppose you might be thinking... "well Dayton had been growing for years" ... why hadn't we won then?

I agree the growth has helped... but your first post on the topic sounded like you attributed most of the success to growth and that's just not the case. If anything, the winning here in dayton has produced some of the growth as far as the football program and talent are concerned.

With the exception of Xavier Frank, Cameron LaCour and a couple others, the majority of Dayton's standouts have grown up in the area and there families were here for years before.

I would like to add....
How many players do you think moved in to the Sealy area or the LaMarque area during their hey day.
Lets say you have a very talented son, and get transfered to the Houston area and have to pick a location to live.
If....
You don't mind a commute to the city and you want your son to be part of a winning football team and live in a great community, you are moving to Dayton "the crossroads town between Houston and Beaumont".

Coach Stewart knows how to get the best out of the athletes, and from just what I have seen, you would be hard pressed to find another "program" that advances and improves it's 7th graders all the way till they graduate.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83