Best chance of making it to the dance?

• 2 weeks later...
IMO..

Dayton - They have had alot of success lately, and always have a lot of guys who can play
PNG - Great season last year things are looking good for them.. returning alot from last year i believe
Central - Has had alot of success lately as well.. always has a ton of speed, and i heard they have a good looking (freshman last year) QB coming up

Kirbyville has had some good seasons the last 2 years, but i think the jump back up to 3A might give them some trouble.. Ford will still be a major force

[quote name="WO-S 89" post="780017" timestamp="1269213027"]
[quote author=speveto link=topic=67288.msg779977#msg779977 date=1269207222]
WOS
[/quote]

It would be nice just to get past the 3rd. rd. :) :) :)

[/quote]        It would nice to "GET TO" the 3rd. round.

this may just be me, but every year i hear "this year the WOS team will be dominant", and while they do always have a very competitive/dominant team in the area and tend to run over most teams in the area they always hit a wall in playoffs..

Gilmer, Waco LaVega, Giddings - teams like these dont care if you ran over HF, Bridge City, Orangefield, HJ, etc.

so while i'll agree WOS is always one of the best teams in the area i dont see them as a major force in the entire state

I hope they prove me wrong though because i'd love to see a local team bring a state title back to the area very soon

• 1 month later...
Guest ST11
[quote name="old_wildcat" post="780138" timestamp="1269265251"]
It would be nice just to win District.... ;)
[/quote]

Too bad they couldnt this year ;) who beat them??? Oh wait Silsbee

I think WOS will have a better shot this year than last year. I believe they are returning most of their team offense and defense. It all depends on how good the other playoff teams are. I don't think Kirbyville will be a contender for the championship. However, they will be very good. I believe they too will return a lot of players. It is just that they will be one of the smallest schools in 3A. PNG -maybe-. They lost a great running back in Harmon but according to the sportscast on channel 4 the other night they have a great running back comming up from the JV. The report said that he averaged 150 yards a game with only 15 carries on average. Their purple and white scrimmage later this month could shed a little light on how good the running back and the whole team will be. A good running back cannot do it all by himself. He has to have a good line also and I don't know what they will have comming back. Newton is like WOS. They are always competive even in their so called rebuilding years. I don't think they have many players comming back so this might not be a banner year for them. Nederland and Central are always good also. I don't know what they have returning so I can't make a guess. LCM should be much improved because of their returning starters but I don't think they will be strong enough to win state. JMO, but I am getting excited about football already.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="797591" timestamp="1272946635"]
I think WOS will have a better shot this year than last year. I believe they are returning most of their team offense and defense. It all depends on how good the other playoff teams are. I don't think Kirbyville will be a contender for the championship. However, they will be very good. I believe they too will return a lot of players. It is just that they will be one of the smallest schools in 3A. PNG -maybe-. They lost a great running back in Harmon but according to the sportscast on channel 4 the other night they have a great running back comming up from the JV. The report said that he averaged 150 yards a game with only 15 carries on average. Their purple and white scrimmage later this month could shed a little light on how good the running back and the whole team will be. A good running back cannot do it all by himself. He has to have a good line also and I don't know what they will have comming back. Newton is like WOS. They are always competive even in their so called rebuilding years. I don't think they have many players comming back so this might not be a banner year for them. Nederland and Central are always good also. I don't know what they have returning so I can't make a guess. LCM should be much improved because of their returning starters but I don't think they will be strong enough to win state. JMO, but I am getting excited about football already.
[/quote]

In reality Kirbyville is a 2A school playing 3A football,their numbers now are around 410.. :o

IMO the best chance of playing in mid December is Kirbyville.  Despite going 3A, they return their best team of the Alvarez era, and won't have to play WOS, Carthage, Gilmer, and the other big boys of 3A.

Newton always has a great chance, their Newton, and this maybe Barbay's swan song.

WOS and Westbrook are the only other two with a shooter's chance IMO.

After a semi-final,final,quarterfinal run in which the Dayton Broncos led state finalist Brenham for 3 3/4 quarters I'd have to think they have a legit program in place to make another run.Certainly the super tough early schedule should have them fine tuned to start district barring any significant early injuries.

[quote name="Tejas" post="797620" timestamp="1272974541"]
IMO the best chance of playing in mid December is Kirbyville.  Despite going 3A, they return their best team of the Alvarez era, and won't have to play [b]WOS[/b], Carthage, Gilmer, and the other big boys of 3A.

Newton always has a great chance, their Newton, and this maybe Barbay's swan song.

WOS and Westbrook are the only other two with a shooter's chance IMO.
[/quote]

Why wouldn't Kirbyville not have to play WOS? They both will be in 3A Division II.

[quote name="ST11" post="797558" timestamp="1272941371"]
[quote author=old_wildcat link=topic=67288.msg780138#msg780138 date=1269265251]
[/quote]

[/quote]

For the love of God, we get it, yall beat us. It's funny, some teams around here think if they beat WOS thats their state championship. Dont get me wrong, Silsbee has a great team and deserved to win district last year, but really? Yall win one out of 10 and thats all we here about. That was last year, this is this year. No way yall win district again.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="kicker" post="797699" timestamp="1272993452"]
[quote author=ST11 link=topic=67288.msg797558#msg797558 date=1272941371]
[quote author=old_wildcat link=topic=67288.msg780138#msg780138 date=1269265251]
[/quote]

[/quote]

For the love of God, we get it, yall beat us. It's funny, some teams around here think if they beat WOS thats their state championship. Dont get me wrong, Silsbee has a great team and deserved to win district last year, but really? Yall win one out of 10 and thats all we here about. That was last year, this is this year. No way yall win district again.
[/quote]

Well,don't put a target on your back if you don't want teams shooting at it.. ::)

PNG has a big part of last season's team returning including most of that line and the all important QB. I myself wasn't a believer in teams turning it around in a season but with the right coach and a tiny pinch of magic you never know. My co-worker also told me that the back up QB from last season, some of you may remember, came in and run the football from the QB position very well. They moved him to wideout he is a heck of an athelete. They have to replace most of the DB's but so much talent coming back from a team that lost by 7 to the statefinalist. I like the Purple people's chances. They will also compete in a very tough district this season.

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="797934" timestamp="1273069109"]
PNG has a big part of last season's team returning including most of that line and the all important QB. I myself wasn't a believer in teams turning it around in a season but with the right coach and a tiny pinch of magic you never know. My co-worker also told me that the back up QB from last season, some of you may remember, came in and run the football from the QB position very well. They moved him to wideout he is a heck of an athelete. They have to replace most of the DB's but so much talent coming back from a team that lost by 7 to the statefinalist. I like the Purple people's chances. They will also compete in a very tough district this season.
[/quote]

That back up QB (Desmond) is MUCH better at running than Doty is.  That's why they put him in on short yardage QB sneak-type situations.  So, if they can get the ball to him in the open field, things could get rather exciting for sure.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder