Nederland vs. Bridge City

That was an amazing display of cleverness by Joe Robertson and Matt Hicks--they pulled an ole trick I had not seen since the late fifties!

The triple play was nifty too; Matt Hicks is fast and when he saw what all was happening he took off from third to home and beat the runner there to take in a scorcher from Catcher Matt Menard who beat the semi-lame Ned. runner and tagged the runner going to first.  He then had the present-of-mind to wheel and hit Hicks who was a step or two ahead of the runner--whereby the tag was made just ahead of home plate. Wow three outs that contributed largely to the winning of the game

This was the first triple play I have ever seen in a HS hardball game!  Congrats to all involved.  Also congrats to Freshman Pitcher Hayden Guidry who went about half the game giving up only one hit to the stout Bulldogs...

Sorry, it was Hicks.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coondog106
[quote name="East TX" post="772079" timestamp="1267893659"]
That was an amazing display of cleverness by Joe Robertson and Matt Hicks--they pulled an ole trick I had not seen since the late fifties!

The triple play was nifty too; Joe Robertson is fast and when he saw what all was happening he took off from third to home and beat the runner there to take in a scorcher from Catcher Matt Menard who beat the semi-lame Ned. runner and tagged the runner going to first.  He then had the present-of-mind to wheel and hit Robertson who was a step or two ahead of the runner--whereby the tag was made just ahead of home plate. Wow three outs that contributed largely to the winning of the game

This was the first triple play I have ever seen in a HS hardball game!  Congrats to all involved.  Also congrats to Freshman Pitcher Hayden Guidry who went about half the game giving up only one hit to the stout Bulldogs.
[/quote]
The ole triple play..the most exciting play in baseball..until it happens to you! Thanks for detailing it out..my head was hurting trying to figure out how it happened. Actually, my head is still hurting!

[quote name="coondog106" post="771798" timestamp="1267844341"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=66923.msg771769#msg771769 date=1267843401]
Brett  Brown and now Jacob Pitts for Ned Hayden Guidry for BC
[/quote]
How does Pitts look since coming back from basketball?
[/quote]

At times swing was a little rusty but put the bat on the ball(4 singles and a 2b).  Had a .307 average for the weekend and .567 on base.  Pitched 2 innings facing 8 batters-1 hit, 1 K, 1 bb, no runs.  Threw better and harder in the second inning he pitched.  Not bad for two practices since basketball.  Something to build on.

I don't understand the Kirby Bellow at-bat.  If he is unable to run, why even let him bat?  Was Bellow unable to run or just under doctor's orders not to run?  Either way, I don't get this strategy.  Just seems like an unnecessary risk. 

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="773357" timestamp="1268077052"]
Kirby hit in some of the scrimmages and hit very well including a double off of the wall.  I guess the coach was hoping for a Kirk Gibson type at bat to end the game. If he hits anywhere but to Matt Hicks it probably works.
[/quote]
Your probably right 9 times out of 10 it probably works..... But then again if you hit it to Matt Hicks, 9 times out of 10 he makes the play.  Wish I could've been there for it.

[quote name="East TX" post="772079" timestamp="1267893659"]

The triple play was nifty too; Joe Robertson is fast and when he saw what all was happening he took off from third to home and beat the runner there to take in a scorcher from Catcher Matt Menard who beat the semi-lame Ned. runner and tagged the runner going to first.  He then had the present-of-mind to wheel and hit Robertson who was a step or two ahead of the runner--whereby the tag was made just ahead of home plate. Wow three outs that contributed largely to the winning of the game

This was the first triple play I have ever seen in a HS hardball game!  Congrats to all involved.  Also congrats to Freshman Pitcher Hayden Guidry who went about half the game giving up only one hit to the stout Bulldogs...

Sorry, it was Hicks.....
[/quote]

On the contrary, this was the stupidest coaching move I have ever seen from the Nederland coach.  To put a player in a game in that situation who has not even played and was not released by his doctor is moronic and also undermines the whole team concept...

[quote name="GrayDog" post="773560" timestamp="1268103664"]
[quote author=East TX link=topic=66923.msg772079#msg772079 date=1267893659]

The triple play was nifty too; Joe Robertson is fast and when he saw what all was happening he took off from third to home and beat the runner there to take in a scorcher from Catcher Matt Menard who beat the semi-lame Ned. runner and tagged the runner going to first.  He then had the present-of-mind to wheel and hit Robertson who was a step or two ahead of the runner--whereby the tag was made just ahead of home plate. Wow three outs that contributed largely to the winning of the game

Sorry, it was Hicks.....
[/quote]

On the contrary, this was the stupidest coaching move I have ever seen from the Nederland coach.  To put a player in a game in that situation who has not even played and was not released by his doctor is moronic and also undermines the whole team concept...
[/quote]

BUT........if it worked it would've been a great call.  So, everybody's not going to be pleased with it.

Guest JoesBros
The fact of the matter is that Coach Robbins made a decision and it didnt work out liked he planned. Give credit to Hicks on the heads up play to cover home plate to make the final out.

Guest gladiator2
He must also be a helluva hitter too if he comes thru in the clutch 95% of the time. If he can't run under doctor's order's than he probally was not released to be out there. Surely with all of those stud's that Nederland has they had someone on the bench that could hit a sac fly. Cody has done a good job at Nederland, I'm sure if he had it to do all over again, he would make a different decision. He will make more good decisions than bad in the long run. He's a good coach!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="774478" timestamp="1268237195"]
[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=66923.msg774358#msg774358 date=1268224489]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=66923.msg774316#msg774316 date=1268199904]
How's Nederland doing so far, record wise?
[/quote]

I think they are 6-4 or 7-4..something like that.

[/quote]

thanks
[/quote]

That sounds about right. They have been throwing a lot of young kids during their tournaments.

From what I remember, today (3/10) they get Bellow back.

Things just improved 100% for Big Ned.

Guest Penny
[quote name="GrayDog" post="773560" timestamp="1268103664"]
[quote author=East TX link=topic=66923.msg772079#msg772079 date=1267893659]

Sorry, it was Hicks.....
[/quote]

On the contrary, this was the stupidest coaching move I have ever seen from the Nederland coach.  To put a player in a game in that situation who has not even played and was not released by his doctor is moronic and also undermines the whole team concept...
[/quote]

Was this the regional final or a preseason tune up tournament... just checking.

Believe me, if this is a district game and the same scenario presents itself, this would not be the decision...this is a preseason, non-district game that means nothing other than preparing the team for the rest of the season...Nederland has, in fact, thrown several pitchers and tried several lineup variations, as I believe they should, at this time of the season...it will serve the team well in the long run, which is what this is ultimately about...don't worry, the Dogs will be just fine

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Razor" post="774592" timestamp="1268246521"]
Believe me, if this is a district game and the same scenario presents itself, this would not be the decision...this is a preseason, non-district game that means nothing other than preparing the team for the rest of the season...Nederland has, in fact, thrown several pitchers and tried several lineup variations, as I believe they should, at this time of the season...it will serve the team well in the long run, which is what this is ultimately about...don't worry, the Dogs will be just fine
[/quote]

I think he is questioning the use of Bellow in what amouts to a meaningless game.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="774601" timestamp="1268247213"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=66923.msg774592#msg774592 date=1268246521]
[/quote]

I think he is questioning the use of Bellow in what amouts to a meaningless game.
[/quote]

correct

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami