Maine beat UNC Tarheels . . . (in baseball)

time2time

Guest baseball25
And we just lost to north Dakota st lol that's a horrible loss, i talk to Warren Nolan  from Warrennolan.com and he said it can't get worse than that losing to a team like that. Remember unc lost all there studs from all those world series teams unc had and players they had are gone, Adam Warren,Alex white, ackley are all gone and 2 of those guys were stud pitchers and ackley was the best hitter in college baseball, that series win against Maine means nothing Lamar just lost to north Dakota st, that's worse than pview,southern, and Houston baptist.

Does anybody else get the feeling that Baseball25 is a former player for LU that has it out for Gilligan b/c Gilligan played "his favorites" and he was not one of them.  I get the impression from Baseball25 that if it weren't for Gilligan he probably would be making millions in big leagues right now. 

Baseball25 you don't know baseball as well as you think you do, or you would know even the great Yankees lose 60+ games a year.  Last year in college, LSU lost 2 of 3 to Illinois, who is decent but wasn't a tournament team.  Teams lose, it's baseball.

Also, I know UNC lost a lot but they still have scholarship players, and if you look at their roster (which I have) a high number of the players were drafted out of HS, so they aren't talentless.

As far as this season goes, anybody who has followed Lamar baseball, especially lately, knows the Cards weakness has been scoring runs.  Not a problem this season, so far.  Once the pitching gets ironed out the Cards could be in for a strong season.  If they should get it together and win the Conference tournament, [b]I have no doubt[/b] that Baseball25 will still be b*tch*ng about Gilligan and the Cards.

Finally, the SLC is better conference than it was ten years ago.  More teams in the SLC have committed to baseball, and that is reflected in the quality of teams/players/coaches/facilities.

[quote name="time2time" post="768273" timestamp="1267383172"]
Does anybody else get the feeling that Baseball25 is a former player for LU that has it out for Gilligan b/c Gilligan played "his favorites" and he was not one of them.  I get the impression from Baseball25 that if it weren't for Gilligan he probably would be making millions in big leagues right now. 

Baseball25 you don't know baseball as well as you think you do, or you would know even the great Yankees lose 60+ games a year.  Last year in college, LSU lost 2 of 3 to Illinois, who is decent but wasn't a tournament team.  Teams lose, it's baseball.

Also, I know UNC lost a lot but they still have scholarship players, and if you look at their roster (which I have) a high number of the players were drafted out of HS, so they aren't talentless.

As far as this season goes, anybody who has followed Lamar baseball, especially lately, knows the Cards weakness has been scoring runs.  Not a problem this season, so far.  Once the pitching gets ironed out the Cards could be in for a strong season.  If they should get it together and win the Conference tournament, [b]I have no doubt[/b] that Baseball25 will still be b*tch*ng about Gilligan and the Cards.

Finally, the SLC is better conference than it was ten years ago.  More teams in the SLC have committed to baseball, and that is reflected in the quality of teams/players/coaches/facilities.

[/quote]

Well good judgement.. Not. Baseball25 is not a former player of Gilligan's, and if it weren't for an elbow injury he would have been drafted and would probably still be playing pro ball.

Guest baseball25
Nope i didn't play for gilligan had the chance too but didn't want too. Also aj I had shoulder surgey, I know the game baseball and been around it all my life and I just speak the truth and the truth is Lamar non conf schedule sucks and playing team like Maine,north Dakota st, Texas southern, Houston baptist, pan am, pview won't help there case getting a automatic bid.

You guys act like baseball25 is killing someone.. All he is saying is that their lack of a pre conference schedule will keep them from an automatic bid. Look at the schedules of Sam, Tx State, UTA, etc... Strong schedules. Not Lamar's. You're an idiot if you don't recognize that.

You mean an at large bid. But I agree the schedule sucks but this team never had a chance for one in my opinion. They aren't good enough right now. No matter what the schedule is. But by the end of the season I guarantee we will have a pretty good chance to win the conference tourney. Coach G will have them ready.

Guest baseball25
Timeb2time if you had any baseball non sense lay can lose games like that they play in the sec top 2 best conf in nation, they played tough top30 teams throughout there conf losing a series like that doesn't hurt them on the other hand lamar can't afford to lose To sucky teams bec they play in a conf that isn't no where near the sec so it's like espn NFL commentators say come on mannnnnn.

Not totally sure what you are trying to say, but I agree that the strength (or lack thereof) of the non-conference schedule will likely prevent the Cards from at large bid but as I said before the SLC is typically one bid league.  Thus winning the conference tournament is the only way in(obviously) and likely only way in for the SLC b/c of the lack of national credit it deserves.  Like Foreveadog says, this team is not the type of team to have an strong non-conference schedule.  Too many new faces.  But that does not mean this team will not win the conference tournament.  Of course, this team may not even make the conference tournament.  We just don't know yet.

Next season there is no excuse for not having a stronger schedule.  Almost every position player will be back, just need a few pitchers to come along.

Baseball25 has made his point, the schedule is weak.  From what I have read, nobody has really disagreed with that statement, but have said the schedule may not be as weak as Baseball25 believes it is.  That was my original point.  Maine may suck but beating a team 3 times is never easy (especially in baseball) and maybe, just maybe they aren't that bad.

Guest baseball25
[b]KENDALL ROGERS[/b] TAKE of YAHOO sports on [b]North Carolina[/b]: After losing Dustin Ackley and Kyle Seager in the offseason, there was no question the Tar Heels would have some offensive issues this season. But perhaps the unit is worse than expected. After having a solid performance at the plate on Friday, the Tar Heels failed to impress in a 5-3 setback to Maine in Game 2. UNC will be fine this spring if its offense rises to the occasion. That occurring, though, seems like a long shot at this point.

While I respect your knowledge of the game baseball25 you don't seem to know much about matching a schedule to your team. It's one of the toughest things to do. In football and basketball schedules are worked on years in advance. Baseball is different. The schedule is fine. 40 wins is still a magic number no matter the non-conference sos if LU is on top of the SLC in the regular season. G is building a team to win conference not an at-large bid.

Guest baseball25

Hey I know both my friend, and the thing is Texas State, sam houston st, South Eastern La who just swept a SEC school this past weekend UTSA are ahead of Lamar rightnow, How in the heck  does playing Houston Baptist, Texas Southern, Pan Am, Pview, preparing you for conference when all those teams throws Thumpers at you lol, I mean atleast play hard teams that have pitching depth and etc that will prepare you for the conference, because playing tough teams make you mentally tough, confidence builder and etc and playing in tough atmospheres makes your team better also,struggling against teams like North Dakota state doesn't get you anywhere, and thats what the pitchers did against NDSt this weekend and that could be a big mental breakdown as a pitcher when you struggle against a team like that, I would rather get rocked by a good team that are in the SEC, Big 12, sun belt, instead of a team from the Summit conference. I mean you win 38 games last yr and your nowhere near consideration to make it to the tourney, What if he schedule 3 tough top 50 teams and you beat them last yr that makes you 4-6 against top 50 opponents that the comittee thinking a little bit now, I mean last yr lamar lost every series to UTSA, Sam, Texas St, and Se la and you know why that is because those 4 teams right there played good teams to prepare them for a grinding it out series, it prepared there hitters, pitchers, prepared them mentally, physically. I've been there and done it. I been around the game a long time and i have learn from the best I learn everyday from my cousin clay that pitches in the majors about the game a baseball so you can't tell me I am wrong bout what gilligan has a cup cake schedule because the last 5 years are so the scheudle has been bad, go look at his scedule in 2004 when the made regionals and 2005 when they almost did.

He's right. There's one thing to get the season started off with easy W's.. But that also will not prepare you when you play teams twice as good in conference. I'd much rather play a set with TCU or Utah or even U of H (examples) and have it easier once conference starts then go, well.. we're 15-1, but we haven't played anyone near decent. I'd rather the season get easier team wise down the stretch than harder and harder as the season progresses. Because playing 56 games is already tough regardless of who you play. The conference games will never be easy, but they will be better prepared playing a better pre conference schedule.

Lamar will play UH twice and Rice twice. Dallas Baptist is a solid team that went to regionals and Maine is picked to win their conference. I also know baseball at all levels I covered your cousin in high school. But I have also been to multiple major league spring trainings for different teams and NCAA regionals, this summer I'm going to Omaha. What does that have to do with scheduling.....nothing. It comes down to finding the teams that are available and yes that are willing to come to Beaumont. Sam Houston has been a good SLC tournament team. Texas State has been consistant. But neither have done anything in a regional. Kind of weird that Lamar from 02, 03, 04 played nearly the same type of schedules and were competitive in the postseason losing in the Austin regional title in 03.

Also you will find Houston Baptist, Prairie View and HBU on Sam's schedule
TSU on SLU's
PV and HBU on TXST

Texas State has the toughest schedule but they are loaded just like last year.

Texas State and Sam also benefit from having new facilities that big school's are willing to travel to. Plus A&M is close to Sam. Texas State and UT are close. Texas State has used Round Rock to host a tournament as well that will draw big names in while Vincent-Beck just doesn't compare. Not the field itself but there are no visiting showers or lockerroom.

Guest baseball25
Man own you have answers for everythng, go look at Lamar SOS back in th early 2000s compared to now, stop making excuses man I guess ur one of those media writers that never played the game and doesn't understand the game but you u act like you do, just like all media writer let me guess you wouldn't vote for barry bonds for the hof would you?

Actually yes I have played the game and sos isn't decided until the end of the year. This year's sos is coming off of last year's stats. As far as voting for Barry Bonds honestly I don't know I would have to look at his career as a whole. Everyone was taking steroids and honestly I could care less. I don't listen to what people say about others. Barry is known as a jerk but he was very nice when I met him and interviewed him during the All-Star game. I enjoy talking this over with you I'm not taking any shots I like talking sports and you do know you're stuff. Scheduling is just weird man.

Guest baseball25
My good buddy ruben Felix who coaches for the Baltimore  O's always told me man you go to be realistic and real and Thats whats wrong these days just be realistic I mean it's just the truth gilligans non conf schedule sucks and he just cares bout w's and also I can talk sports all night long, bonds hof easyyyy he's the best hitter ever in my mind, he's not there to make people happy he's there to play the game and dominate the game and make money for his family, that's why media people don't like ho
bec he could careless about them he only cared for one thing and that was hisself and hate or lovem he's top 3 of all time and I love guy. 

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="768509" timestamp="1267420130"]
Why is Barry Bonds even part of this conversation?

Get back on topic please.
[/quote]

I don't think that was necessary.. Literally 5 sentences were said on that topic. And if you want to be on point, none of this has anything to do with Maine beating UNC, it's all been about SOS. So if you want to say that, then delete the whole thread because the point to this was Maine beating UNC. As for Lamar, solid team.. Young, but solid. There are reasons LU can't get people to come here, but no reason why LU can't go there. Preseason scheduling needs to pick up, end of story.

Guest baseball25
lol why is Aggies getting in this conversation, just stick with silsbee basketball my friend and i hope to see you next week at the drum.

[quote name="baseball25" post="768785" timestamp="1267475366"]
lol why is Aggies getting in this conversation, just stick with silsbee basketball my friend and i hope to see you next week at the drum.
[/quote]

It was necessary because he is a moderator and his job is to make sure people stay on topic and within the rules of the forum. Just saying...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124