*SILSBEE vs. BRYAN RUDDER BROADCAST* SILSBEE SURVIVES 62-61!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="766917" timestamp="1267160233"]
At the risk of watching HJ lose to Navasota and having egg all over my face, if I was Silsbee, I'd be very worried that they peaked too early in the year.

Look at their last 3 games.  Lost to HJ.  Lost to Kountze.  Squeaked by Rudder.  By all definitions, Silsbee should make it to the Regional Finals, but if you looked at their last two weeks of games........

I have a feeling they are going to turn it up a notch or two from here on out, however.
[/quote]

My honest opinion is that the Tigers have went through a little lull but I fully expect this team to start catch their breathe after this win and really start playing well again.

I really look at this game from a very positive side. Silsbee shot their worst from the line all season and turned the ball over as many times as they have had all season, and still come out the victor.

I think this is Silsbee's stinker game of the playoffs.

Now let's get ready to roll!!!

Good win for the Tigers.  Started off sloppy. Maybe antsy. Just too many turnovers. Like has been said we have to do better from the free throw line and limit the turnovers.  I was impressed by some of our play tonight.  Pheal Hill has taken a beating the last few days for not passing the ball.  Tonight he played a great game for the Tigers.  He may not have scored as many points but made his drives when they were needed.  He also tried to get his teammates more involved.  There may have been a couple of those turnovers off of his passes but those passes were the correct decision just mishandled.  He also came up with some key steals.  It was good to see more of a balanced  scoring attack. We will need this for a long playoff run.  We seemed to make better shot decisions overall.  Great job taking control of the glass.  Great job by sophomore Kelton Gaines knocking down those last two free throws.  Hats off to Rudder they never gave up,but I am glad the coaches prediction was a load of crap.  Their speed was tough and Taylor is real good. He kept us from getting anything going inside early.  With all of that said,  this game should not have been that close.  If we could have made a few more freethrow and cut down the turnovers we would have won by at least 10-12 if not more.  The refs definitely let the players play in this one.  I don't know what the foul count was but it got a little rough from time to time.  I saw our players get away with a couple pushes and saw a couple of ours get knocked to the ground with no call.  I do have a question based on one play I saw.  We were throwing the ball in and one of Rudder's players had his arm around the waist of Gaines(this may have been just before the ref handed the ball to our player).  The ref was looking directly at the action.  Is this a foul or not?  Way to go Tigers...Now get focused on WOS!!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="766942" timestamp="1267161433"]
I really look at this game from a very positive side. Silsbee shot their worst from the line all season and turned the ball over as many times as they have had all season, and still come out the victor.

I think this is Silsbee's stinker game of the playoffs.

Now let's get ready to roll!!!
[/quote]Champions win the games that they should lose.

And losers lose the games that they should win.

Its that simple.

Thought some of you might want to hear a Rudder fan's point of view.
Let me start by saying that Silsbee is a good team.  One of the better teams I saw Rudder play all year.  Last night's game went as most do for Rudder.  Good teams keep it close, but with Rudder's style of play they run out of gas and Rudder pulls away. 

Cramps occur in most of their games.  Missed free throws happen in most of their games.  The turnover count is high in most of their games.  All are a direct result of how Rudder dictates to their opponent how the game will be played.  It was not just a bad night for Silsbee.  Those things were forced by Rudder.

Playing without one of their starters (best defender/one of their better scorers) and a backup really hurt Rudder last night!

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Silsbee.  They are good team and I hope they do well.

PS
The "prediction" by the Rudder coach didn't happen!

Good points 20. Yes Rudder was all out and did force turnovers but Silsbee did several themselves with travels. We have had quite a few this year. What happened to the other Rudder starter?  As for the "prediction" I hope it didn't happen. I am just glad the Tigers survived this one. As for the free throws yes misses happen but we have been in running games this season and never shotb that poorly from the line. Bad at times but never that bad.

I think he was lost to grades.

Many teams say they are running teams but you still see them sprinkle in some zone defense or walk it up offensively.  I have never seen Rudder do either of these things.  It wears on teams and they begin to make mistakes (travel, etc.) and start coming up short on shots (including free throws).

Not bad for a bunch of Sophomores and Juniors, huh?  Rudder will not have Seniors on campus until next year.

BTW, which coach was Silsbee's head coach?  Surely not the one in wind pants.

[quote name="20" post="767048" timestamp="1267201423"]
Thought some of you might want to hear a Rudder fan's point of view.
Let me start by saying that Silsbee is a good team.  One of the better teams I saw Rudder play all year.  Last night's game went as most do for Rudder.  Good teams keep it close, but with Rudder's style of play they run out of gas and Rudder pulls away. 

Cramps occur in most of their games.  Missed free throws happen in most of their games.  The turnover count is high in most of their games.  All are a direct result of how Rudder dictates to their opponent how the game will be played.  It was not just a bad night for Silsbee.  Those things were forced by Rudder.

Playing without one of their starters (best defender/one of their better scorers) and a backup really hurt Rudder last night!

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Silsbee.  They are good team and I hope they do well.

PS
The "prediction" by the Rudder coach didn't happen!

[/quote]You are correct, the 15 pt "prediction" came from an assistant/scout, not the HC. However, the coach did say he would rather take his chances with Silsbee among other things. Those are not statements to be made out loud even if you think that and believe them. You never know who's listening. Rudder has a very good team and played a very impressive game last night. Good luck to them in the future in 4A next season.

Guest speechless
I can assure u silsbee has sen as much pressure and running this year as they saw last night
kountze , hj, and new waverly dont "just say" they r running teams
they are!

btw kountze and hj run only zone and they r running teams

I admit that the pressure and pace that Rudder applied caused several of Silsbee's turnovers, but to say it affected their free throw shooting, is a reach.

I went back over some of Rudder's boxscores and in both wins and losses, teams shot descent from the line against Rudder.

Silsbee had their worst free throw shooting night of the season last night, and it wasn't because of what Rudder did. Like another poster stated, Kountze applied as much pressure against Silsbee last Saturday as what Rudder did last night, and Silsbee shot 65% from the line against Kountze and not the 35% from last night. It was just one of those bad foul shooting nights for the Tigers.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="767084" timestamp="1267206967"]
I admit that the pressure and pace that Rudder applied caused several of Silsbee's turnovers, but to say it affected their free throw shooting, is a reach.

I went back over some of Rudder's boxscores and in both wins and losses, teams shot descent from the line against Rudder.

Silsbee had their worst free throw shooting night of the season last night, and it wasn't because of what Rudder did. Like another poster stated, Kountze applied as much pressure against Silsbee last Saturday as what Rudder did last night, and Silsbee shot 65% from the line against Kountze and not the 35% from last night. It was just one of those bad foul shooting nights for the Tigers.
[/quote]An excellent observation AAW.

I've seen Kountze play and to repeat my previous post: Many teams say they are running teams but you still see them sprinkle in some zone defense or walk it up offensively. A running team that plays a zone?  I just think that's an oxymoron.  Oh well, difference of opinion I guess.

Again, I feel that running can drastically affect your free throw shooting.  When you see a player bent over and grabbing his shorts at the line, you have to agree that he/she is affected.  Shooting is all about your legs.  Try shooting the ball from your knees!

Anyway, great game by both teams!  I wish Silsbee all the luck and hope to see them in Austin.

Guest speechless
HJ and Kountze run the exact same system and it is zone pressing and trapping all over the floor for 32 minutes and pushing the ball on offense.  How is that not running?  Essentially what you are saying is that unless you play man then you can't be a running team?  That is the most absurd theory I have ever heard.  You might wanna check with San Antonio East Central or Dallas Kimball back in the mid 90's.  Please inform them that they are not running teams because they were exclusively zone pressing teams.  Somehow though, they magically scored near 100 in the state tournament.  HJ lead the nation in scoring one year running the exact same stuff that they do now. 

[quote name="20" post="767155" timestamp="1267214148"]
You are correct.  Zone pressing and trapping all over the floor for 32 min. and pushing the ball on offense IS running.  I loved watching those teams play! 

[/quote]

and this is what Silsbee has faced from Hardin-Jefferson and Kountze, year in and year out. Rudder's pressure was nothing new to Silsbee.

A lot of good points have been made. I just don't think the Tigers free throw problems were caused by Rudder's running some could have been the result of being tired but we have been there before. And yes Rudder caused most of our turnovers by pressure but some of the, what seemed like 100 traveling calls early,  were more of our mistake than the result of pressure. We go at breakneck speed most of the time as well and I have seen players sat on the bench for not moving fast enough. So we should be used to moving at that speed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83