Best High School Basketball game??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="bulldogbasketball" post="756788" timestamp="1265607276"]
i haven't seen many hs bb games but out of the few i have seen i would have to say the best was png vs ned this year that went to double ot with a little bit of luck
[/quote]

Agreed. From a pure excitement standpoint this one would be [b]VERY HARD TO BEAT!!![/b]

Guest Old_Army_00
Although neither are what you would consider to be "basketball" schools, last year's Liberty-Shepherd game was hard to beat.  The winner of the game earned the final playoff spot for District 22-3A; loser stayed home.  Liberty won in 3OT, 85-82.  At the end of the first OT, one of the Liberty kids was at the line, 3 seconds left, down 2.  Missed the first one, AIRBALLED the second free throw.  Steve Guillory stole the inbounds pass and laid it up as time expired.  He ended up with 37 for the game.  Shepherd had a kid go for 40-something.  Liberty missed a 3 that would've won it in the 2nd OT, and then put it away in the final OT session.  Again, I know they're not traditional basketball schools, but still one heck of a game.

Almost all of mine came in the Aldine Campbell Gym... This one was the Academy Invitational Westchester High vs Oakhill....

#1 Carmelo Anthony (Denver) vs Hassan Adams (formally of Toronto) and Trevor Ariza (Houston)

[b]Westchester (CA) High [/b]
Westchester has three players among College Basketball News’ top 100 seniors in #98 Brandon Bowman (who committed to Georgetown), #70 Brandon Heath and #19 Hassan Adams. They also have New Mexico commitment Ashanti Cook and standout junior Trevor Ariza. Westchester is College Basketball News’ #2 team in the country and they are ranked #1 by USA Today. Westchester is looking to win its first state title since 1998, when they were led by current USC players David Bluthenthal and Brandon Granville.

[b]Mouth of Wilson (VA) Oak Hill Academy[/b]
News’ number two senior Carmelo Anthony, who signed with Syracuse and #10 Sani Ibrahim, who is considering the NBA draft. They also have #42 6-2 point guard Chadd Moore, who committed to Cincinnati, #75 6-1 point guard Justin Gray, who committed to Wake Forest, 6-7 small forward Antywane Robinson, (Temple), Ian Johnson (Davidson), 6-3 Eric Wilkins (Miami of Florida) and 6-5 Richard Joyce (Wake Forest).

As you read Westchester had more pros on their squad and they were a public school... Hasaan matched Carmelo the entire game, even crossed him, took a bump, and hit a step back jumper for the and one!!  Carmelo finished with 31 and 12... Hasaan with 36, 5 rebounds, 4 stls!!  Oakhill got the win by two points..  It was geat seeing those pros and really good college players playing in a close game!

[quote name="bees85" post="758329" timestamp="1265859117"]
I would have to say the Lincoln-Bay City game in 1989 Regional Finals. Tip off BJ Tyler Dunk, LaBradford Smith right back down for a dunk. That set the tone for a good game between hated rivals.....We won the game and state.
[/quote]

bee85, I believe you are off a few years. Smith of Bay City graduated in '86. Bay City defeated a Silsbee led Darryl McArthur team that year in the regional semis then lost to Lincoln, who was led by Georgetown bound Anthony Allen, in the regional finals.

Bay City defeated Silsbee in the regional finals in '85 and the regional semis in '84. Three straight years Silsbee lost to Bay City in the playoffs.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="758341" timestamp="1265859917"]
[quote author=bees85 link=topic=65759.msg758329#msg758329 date=1265859117]
I would have to say the Lincoln-Bay City game in 1989 Regional Finals. Tip off BJ Tyler Dunk, LaBradford Smith right back down for a dunk. That set the tone for a good game between hated rivals.....We won the game and state.
[/quote]

bee85, I believe you are off a few years. Smith of Bay City graduated in '86. Bay City defeated a Silsbee led Darryl McArthur team that year in the regional semis then lost to Lincoln, who was led by Georgetown bound Anthony Allen, in the regional finals.

Bay City defeated Silsbee in the regional finals in '85 and the regional semis in '84. Three straight years Silsbee lost to Bay City in the playoffs.
[/quote]

Who did we beat in the regional finals in '83? Lincoln?  I remember those four years as one of those three teams going to Austin.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="758380" timestamp="1265861235"]
Silsbee defeated Huntsville in the regional finals in '83.
[/quote]

Now I remember,  I was at that game.  It wiill be a game I never forget for reasons outside of basketball. I was only 13.  I don't even remember where the game was played,  I can remember watching it though.

[quote name="ST413" post="758388" timestamp="1265861495"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=65759.msg758380#msg758380 date=1265861235]
[/quote]

Now I remember,  I was at that game.  It wiill be a game I never forget for reasons outside of basketball. I was only 13.  I don't even remember where the game was played,  I can remember watching it though.
[/quote]

Game was played at Sam Houston, right in Huntsville's backyard.

[quote name="team first" post="758430" timestamp="1265863924"]
Actually Labradford Smith graduated from Bay city in 1987...Not bad.Dropped 39 on M. Jordan one night in the league. The next time they met, Jordan had 35 at the half, and went on to blow em out. L. Smith could fly, but had a short stint in the league with Washington.
[/quote]

That's correct. LaBradford graduated in '87. He was a junior when McArthur was a senior.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="758456" timestamp="1265865669"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=65759.msg758388#msg758388 date=1265861495]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=65759.msg758380#msg758380 date=1265861235]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Game was played at Sam Houston, right in Huntsville's backyard.
[/quote]

I was thinking Huntsville but also had Livingston in mind for some reason.

Second Best... It's Destiny!!

1999 Central High School Jags #3 in a loaded district... at the end of thr regular season it was #4 Humble, #9 Kingwood and #12 Central...

Willowridge had been disqualified because of Ivan McFarlin...  They won State the next two years and would have given Central fits in 1999...  Central met 4 of the top 15  (3 of the top 5) in this playoff run, this was the regional final.  They beat #4 Humble (which had beat us twice in district), #1 Milby, #15 Dulles, and #2 Duncanville.

But the Game was Central vs. Dulles and it was a doozy... Central led this game by as many as 16 when Dulles turned up the intensity!!! By the 4th quarter they took the momentum and their first lead of the game.  When the buzzer struck 00:00 the game was tied... Overtime and Central came out and hit the first three buckets.  But the resilient Dulles team came back to tie it up, Central looked tired and beaten and there was about 2 seconds left on the clock.  The score was tied and getting ready to go into a second overtime that the Jags would surely lose.  Then Skip Jackson took one step off the inbounds and launched a 3/4 court shot.  I was sitting just behind the goal...  Aldine campbell was loud and on fire..  The noise was almost deafening... I could see the basketball approach the rim and it looked good.  I jumped up and raised my hands as the entire stadium went silent for about 3 seconds.  It was disbelief!  Then it just erupted...  I yell, "Its destiny!" then the next week we got blized by Duncanville and Brian Boddicker!!!!  It felt good in Aldine... It felt like our time... The best high school basketball game of Centrals 2 decades of existance!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="758479" timestamp="1265894975"]
Second Best... It's Destiny!!

1999 Central High School Jags #3 in a loaded district... at the end of thr regular season it was #4 Humble, #9 Kingwood and #12 Central...

Willowridge had been disqualified because of Ivan McFarlin...  They won State the next two years and would have given Central fits in 1999...  Central met 4 of the top 15  (3 of the top 5) in this playoff run, this was the regional final.  They beat #4 Humble (which had beat us twice in district), #1 Milby, #15 Dulles, and #2 Duncanville.

But the Game was Central vs. Dulles and it was a doozy... Central led this game by as many as 16 when Dulles turned up the intensity!!! By the 4th quarter they took the momentum and their first lead of the game.  When the buzzer struck 00:00 the game was tied... Overtime and Central came out and hit the first three buckets.  But the resilient Dulles team came back to tie it up, Central looked tired and beaten and there was about 2 seconds left on the clock.  The score was tied and getting ready to go into a second overtime that the Jags would surely lose.  Then Skip Jackson took one step off the inbounds and launched a 3/4 court shot.  I was sitting just behind the goal...  Aldine campbell was loud and on fire..  The noise was almost deafening... I could see the basketball approach the rim and it looked good.  I jumped up and raised my hands as the entire stadium went silent for about 3 seconds.  It was disbelief!  Then it just erupted...  I yell, "Its destiny!" then the next week we got blized by Duncanville and Brian Boddicker!!!!  It felt good in Aldine... It felt like our time... The best high school basketball game of Centrals 2 decades of existance!
[/quote]Wow, that was a good reenactment, felt like i was sitting right next to you the hairs on my neck stood up. I could see it so clearly :o :D

[quote name="team first" post="758430" timestamp="1265863924"]
Actually Labradford Smith graduated from Bay city in 1987...Not bad.Dropped 39 on M. Jordan one night in the league. The next time they met, Jordan had 35 at the half, and went on to blow em out. L. Smith could fly, but had a short stint in the league with Washington.
[/quote]

You are quite right, it was the 87 and we lost but it was a good game.....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami