Newcomers in 2010

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Orangeboy
[quote name="GrayDog" post="758862" timestamp="1265943910"]
Nederland has a very good catcher that did not play last year... threw out a very fast BC runner from his knees in the last scrimmage.
[/quote]

Threw out 2 very good runners. Can't believe that guy is the backup!

Guest Orangeboy
[quote name="rounder17" post="759133" timestamp="1266007176"]
He played last year, but look out for Quinton Evans from Orangefield this year.
[/quote]

Nother very solid bobcat. Angelle had a great year as well

[quote name="numberseven" post="759760" timestamp="1266162062"]
[quote author=bigteddy99 link=topic=65157.msg759575#msg759575 date=1266089672]
anybody know anything about HF this year???
[/quote]

They have one freshman that is pretty good, can't remember the name though.  He got a couple hits and a few RBIs during the Tarkington scrimmage.
[/quote]

ya i have heard a few people talking about him. i think his name is janice or something like that

I posted this on the Select site as well, but I thought I would post it here as well so that others may see it and offer advice.

Can someone offer some advice for a new player in the area? My son, Ryan Bumstead, is a Junior at Kelly High School. Ryan is new to the Beaumont area. He grew up in Saudi Arabia where I live and work for an oil company. Ryan played in a very competitive LL program here in Saudi and actually played at two Little league World Series as an eleven year old in 2004 and again as a twelve year old in 2005. As a young teen he played on several travel teams at tournaments in Florida, but never with any from this area. We moved Ryan home at the beginning of his sophomore year for academic purposes and so that he could play high school baseball. Ryan pitched for Kelly's varsity as a sophomore and threw a no-hitter in his first varsity start last year. He pitched this past summer for the Gladiators before injuring his arm which required Tommy John surgery. He will now miss his Jr. year of high school baseball and I am concerned that because he is a new face and does not have the name recognition in the area as some of the better ballplayers like Hicks, Felts, Statum, Hester, and Bellows who have grown up in the area and deservedly made very strong names for themselves, he will miss an opportunity to play college ball. As I mentioned before, Ryan suffered an injury that will keep him from playing the all important Jr. year and without previous experience playing in the area, I am afraid he won't get noticed. So my question is this, can someone offer me some advice on how to best get his name out once he returns from TJ rehab? At the time of his injury (end of his sophomore year) he was throwing 86-87, with another years growth and a strong rehab we hope that he comes back throwing even harder. His rehab is progressing nicely and the trainers and doctors all feel that he will make a complete recovery. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here we go again another person saying kids are great because of select ball and not because of high school.There are plenty of players that get noticed because their high school coach does his job and works to get these young men an oppurtunity at the next level. Everyone seems to forget that players were getting scholarships before select ball started.Select ball did not get their names out there.The young mans ability to play ball did.If you are good enough the oppurtunities will come no matter where you play. My son plays at LCM and I can gaurantee you the coaches there work their rear ends off to find scholarships for players.I am sure some select teams do this also but to say that those players name are out there because of select ball and not their high school is ridiculous.I dont know how they do it at all high schools but at LCM if a kid truly wants to make the sacrafices and put in the work, odds are they will get a chance to play college ball at some level.

Easy Big Stick. No one is saying select is the only way to go. Some high schools have a pretty good relationship with many college programs and those scouts keep in contact. Select groups do the same thing by going to tournaments that the scouts are watching. As a parent, have your son (not you) contact the school he would like to go to and send DVDs of him pitching to the coaches.Tell them about the injury, the repair, rehab, grades, character....... There are a ton of JUCO,s and NAIA programs with more scholarships than D-1s. Go on their websites and fill out the player prospect questionaires. They will invite you to open tryouts during one of their camps. Bottom line is, if HE wants to play HE will find a way. Check out Northwood University just as an example. Good luck  http://knights.gonorthwood.com/mbaseball/

I don't know all 4 mentioned above BUT a cpl are getting their first chance at HS ball, so who would you attribute their sucess to at this point, the poster was IMO just commenting the boys were doing what it takes to make a HS coaches job somewhat easier when the time comes. You should feel lucky to have a son playing under Coach Griff, he along with some others go above and beyond to promote and make their players better in all aspects of the game. With my son, I can and will say HS ball did absolutley nothing promoting him other than providing a venue to play, I say this in both promoting AND adding to the talent he already had entering HS. ANY parent of a talented kid should not wait on the HS coach to promote NOR blame him for not promoting, if he does its a plus no dought. IMO the promoting should start before the senior yr and most coaches that do promote do it during the senior yr. BTW my son did not play select as it was new at the time, he made it the old fashion way....Another thing I will say anytime a kid steps on the field he should play like its his last game as you never know whos in the stands watching someone else, thats >>>exactly<<< what happened in our case....         

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="tombumstead" post="760343" timestamp="1266312575"]
I posted this on the Select site as well, but I thought I would post it here as well so that others may see it and offer advice.

Can someone offer some advice for a new player in the area? My son, Ryan Bumstead, is a Junior at Kelly High School. Ryan is new to the Beaumont area. He grew up in Saudi Arabia where I live and work for an oil company. Ryan played in a very competitive LL program here in Saudi and actually played at two Little league World Series as an eleven year old in 2004 and again as a twelve year old in 2005. As a young teen he played on several travel teams at tournaments in Florida, but never with any from this area. We moved Ryan home at the beginning of his sophomore year for academic purposes and so that he could play high school baseball. Ryan pitched for Kelly's varsity as a sophomore and threw a no-hitter in his first varsity start last year. He pitched this past summer for the Gladiators before injuring his arm which required Tommy John surgery. He will now miss his Jr. year of high school baseball and I am concerned that because he is a new face and does not have the name recognition in the area as some of the better ballplayers like Hicks, Felts, Statum, Hester, and Bellows who have grown up in the area and deservedly made very strong names for themselves, he will miss an opportunity to play college ball. As I mentioned before, Ryan suffered an injury that will keep him from playing the all important Jr. year and without previous experience playing in the area, I am afraid he won't get noticed. So my question is this, can someone offer me some advice on how to best get his name out once he returns from TJ rehab? At the time of his injury (end of his sophomore year) he was throwing 86-87, with another years growth and a strong rehab we hope that he comes back throwing even harder. His rehab is progressing nicely and the trainers and doctors all feel that he will make a complete recovery. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
[/quote]

I would suggest you talk with Coach Bardin.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to do that in the upcoming week. I still live and work in Saudi so making contact can be difficult at times, but definitely speaking to Coach Bardin is #1 on my list.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="760359" timestamp="1266325979"]
[quote author=tombumstead link=topic=65157.msg760343#msg760343 date=1266312575]

[/quote]

I would suggest you talk with Coach Bardin.
[/quote]

I think we can all agree on this. If you can't play at all this HS season it stands to reason you won't be at 100% for the summer season, if you are able to throw at all. I believe this would put an even greater premium on your HS coach, because your Sr. year will be the best shot you have and the results might not be the best, you might need a coach that will go to bat for you. I have seen young kids come back from tommy john and it can be done, but it is harder than some people might let on.

[quote name="3amagic" post="760377" timestamp="1266329509"]
I think we can all agree on this. If you can't play at all this HS season it stands to reason you won't be at 100% for the summer season, if you are able to throw at all. I believe this would put an even greater premium on your HS coach, because your Sr. year will be the best shot you have and the results might not be the best, you might need a coach that will go to bat for you. I have seen young kids come back from tommy john and it can be done, but it is harder than some people might let on.
[/quote]

Good point about his expected level of performance this summer. The doctors have told us if all goes as planned, he should be released to pitch again in late May or early June. As you mentioned, he most likely won't be back to 100% for several months after that. It sounds like making contact with his HS coach is the best bet. Thanks for the advice. BTW-you are right about the tough rehab. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication and patience.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="tombumstead" post="760398" timestamp="1266331359"]
[quote author=3amagic link=topic=65157.msg760377#msg760377 date=1266329509]
[/quote]

Good point about his expected level of performance this summer. The doctors have told us if all goes as planned, he should be released to pitch again in late May or early June. As you mentioned, he most likely won't be back to 100% for several months after that. It sounds like making contact with his HS coach is the best bet. Thanks for the advice. BTW-you are right about the tough rehab. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication and patience.
[/quote]

Coach Bardin is a good coach and is well connected with the summer baseball circuit. I think he will give you an honest assessment.

Guest GCMPats
Here's some "new" names to follow this year at the Goose:

[u]Oracio Rodriguez - Sr- 3rd/P :[/u] Did not play last year after breaking his ankle 2 weeks prior to season starting. Last played for RSS JV in 2008. Solid player. Will see some time at 3rd, as well as some short relief innings.

[u]Andrew Valencia- Jr.- OF/Inf. :[/u] Played on GCM JV last season. Handles the bat well and should start in RF.

[u]Jake Garcia - Jr. - 2nd :[/u] Very solid defensive player. Spent last season on JV. Needs to work at the plate. Will see time at 2nd base.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• To clarify, Dems love wars. They rage daily in the bluest of blue inner citicis. Chicago had 39 shootings over the weekend, 9 dead. Warzone. Baltimore, Memphis, Detroit, etc. I am sure was just as bloody. The blue body count rises daily. I am sure the blue defunding of police and releasing murders without any bail have nothing to do with it. Right?   
    • Will probably be released by the Democrats come September.  Sound familiar?
    • Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
  • Topics