Lamar vs. UT-Arlington.........LU Wins

Lazeek

I agree Roc has coaching issues. I was so pissed off the stupid things we were doing at the end... And yes I have always criticized Roc for taking his foot off the pedal when we get a bit of a lead, it always seems that we fall apart when we do that.

Custer is finally starting to play with some BALLS! I am proud of him..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coachacola
Two things:

1. LU does play up-tempo basketball, they just are not good shooting the ball, especially 3-pointers. 

2. It's not a good sign that this is Roc's 4th year as head coach and we are still questioning his coaching abilities.  Would another coach with this talent have this team playing a lot better?

[quote name="coachacola" post="743751" timestamp="1263481512"]
Two things:

1. LU does play up-tempo basketball, they just are not good shooting the ball, especially 3-pointers. 

2. It's not a good sign that this is Roc's 4th year as head coach and we are still questioning his coaching abilities.  Would another coach with this talent have this team playing a lot better?
[/quote]

1.  I agree that they push the ball and can only win pushing the ball...........they will never win a slow down half court game!!!!!!!!

2.  ROC was always touted as a great recruiter never as a coach...........but it also shows that he was a great recruiter because he was at one of the best programs in the country (Memphis) and worked for one of the best coaches in the country (Calipari)..........Little tougher to recruit to Lamar!!!!  He has never been a X's and O's guy.......and it shows!!!!!  He even told Sylvi to sit down once last night that he had this one!!!!!  Next play led to another TO.............coaches need to gel and mesh..........that does not look to be happening at all times!!!  Tic needs to be more involved in the offense in my opinion!!!!!!  Kermit.........well let Kermit do what he does!!!!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="743759" timestamp="1263481897"]
Reminds me of Dandy Don singing "Turn Off The Lights."  Or the da Dove say, " I told you so!"
[/quote]

Dove I will say this............he has some good young talent in there now..........several Freshman and Sophomores are playing big minutes and helping..........I have never been a fan of ROC and never will be!!!!!  He is a product of the system.........that being Memphis!!!!!

Guest coachacola
Hey Bluedove, I was wondering when you would make an appearance.  I guess you've been biting your tongue all this time?  :D

Since Bob West has quoted Tubbs saying the Roc has done some good coaching the last few years with all the injuries they've had I suspect Roc will be around for another year.  Recruiting for Lamar is a lot harder than recruiting for Memphis and Calipari, so unless Roc recruits talent a lot better than the rest of the SLC (which he hasn't done), then he needs to learn how to coach.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="743760" timestamp="1263482076"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64703.msg743759#msg743759 date=1263481897]
Reminds me of Dandy Don singing "Turn Off The Lights."  Or the da Dove say, " I told you so!"
[/quote]

Dove I will say this............he has some good young talent in there now..........several Freshman and Sophomores are playing big minutes and helping..........I have never been a fan of ROC and never will be!!!!!  He is a product of the system.........that being [b]Memphis[/b]!!!!!
[/quote]
So what about the Tulane job before that. They put together some pretty good teams while he was recruiting for the Green Wave. And what happened after he left for Memphis.

[quote name="badndn" post="743886" timestamp="1263491823"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=64703.msg743760#msg743760 date=1263482076]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64703.msg743759#msg743759 date=1263481897]
[/quote]

Dove I will say this............he has some good young talent in there now..........several Freshman and Sophomores are playing big minutes and helping..........I have never been a fan of ROC and never will be!!!!!  He is a product of the system.........that being [b]Memphis[/b]!!!!!
[/quote]
So what about the Tulane job before that. They put together some pretty good teams while he was recruiting for the Green Wave. And what happened after he left for Memphis.

[/quote]

So I guess my question is if he could recruit at Tulane then why can he not do it here??????

Guest coachacola
Hasn't there been at least 4 or 5 games this year where LU had a double-digit lead early in the 2nd half only to see it vanish because the team goes to a half court offense and goes cold?  I'm not sure if that's due to having a young team or due to coaching.

As far as talent goes, Roc has been bringing in some good talent in relation to the rest of SLC.  I think the problem is that the first few years he brought in mostly JUCO players, now he's bringing in mostly HS players, so this year there's a big turnover with a lot of young players getting a lot of minutes.  Key injuries haven't help either, but all teams have to deal with that.

Next year there could be as many as 7 freshmen on the team, counting the two redshirt freshmen from Pflugerville who aren't playing this year.  It should be interesting how many of them will contribute next year.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="743907" timestamp="1263493371"]
I don't really think that the talent is terrble at Lamar...........I think that the coaching is very suspect!!!!
[/quote]
Now that we can agree upon. I thought Skelton was a big plus when he was here as an X's and O's guy! Roc has gotten better, but still has a ways to go. This current team is talented, but young. If they do not produce when Harper and Miles are Srs and Minor, Brown, Wesley and co ar Jrs then maybe it's time to call it quits.

But statistics (including current year) say that Roc has won more than any other coach at LU since Abetamarco left 22 years ago (and he only had 2 years, one of which was really good).
Roc's teams have also won conference games at a better percentage than any coach since Foster (by a pretty good margin) this includes Abetamarco.

Remember what they say..."You are what your record says you are!"

[quote name="coachacola" post="743797" timestamp="1263484436"]
Hey Bluedove, I was wondering when you would make an appearance.  I guess you've been biting your tongue all this time?  :D

Since Bob West has quoted Tubbs saying the Roc has done some good coaching the last few years with all the injuries they've had I suspect Roc will be around for another year.  Recruiting for Lamar is a lot harder than recruiting for Memphis and Calipari, so unless Roc recruits talent a lot better than the rest of the SLC (which he hasn't done), then he needs to learn how to coach.
[/quote]I haven't had the time to see any LU games this season. I can't comment too much at this time, other than "I told you so.' :D :D

Guest coachacola
Lamar's record and Pomeroy ratings during Tubbs/Roc regimes:

Year  Record  Rating
----  -------  ------
2010  9-8      262  (all 5 starters gone, mix of freshmen and JUCOs added)
2009  15-15  215  (Nabors & Nwevo out for season, Dawkins injured, Miles & Harper true freshmen)
2008  19-11  170  (Davis gone, Roc adds JUCOs Dawkins, Nabors, Hall, Brown)
2007  15-17  227  (Roc brings in JUCOs James Davis, Sanders, Todd, DHop)

-- Under Tubbs --

2006  17-14  202 
2005  18-11  192
2004  9-18    293

Is that progress?

There is NO question that ROC has had a better record than the previous LU coaches........is it really about record though???  I want regular season conference titles and conference tourney titles which will get you into the NCAA tournament!!!!!  Who cares if you go 19-11 and lose first round of the SLC tourney!!!

Guest coachacola
[quote]Who cares if you go 19-11 and lose first round of the SLC tourney!!! [/quote]

For some fans of other schools that's all that matters!!  :D :D

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="743992" timestamp="1263501595"]
There is NO question that ROC has had a better record than the previous LU coaches........is it really about record though???  I want regular season conference titles and conference tourney titles which will get you into the NCAA tournament!!!!!  Who cares if you go 19-11 and lose first round of the SLC tourney!!!
[/quote]
Conference Tourney titles are really in the grand scheme of things the only thing that you will remember. I mean if you ask any basketball fan but non-LU fan and many LU fans when the last time LU won the conference title, they probably couldn't tell you (2008), but most could tell you that the 2000 team went to the NCAA. Theoretically the better your record the better your shot at making the dance, but look around the country. Very few, if any single bid conferences that get the bid via a tournament, end up sending the same team year in and year out. And at least half of them don't send there regular season champ!

I agree with the suspect coaching ability.  I think the biggest short fall may be that the game is too fast for Roc's minimal head coaching experience.  The good D-1 programs have a consistent go to playmaker.  Lamar has none.  With a five point lead in the final minute and coming off of a made free throw I think most of us Monday morning coaches would have put Custer or one of the other big guys in to clog up the middle on defense.  Maybe Minor would not have fouled out trying to stop a drive to the basket if there was someone back there to challenge the shot.  According to Roc this is the biggest team in Lamar history and we play a smaller line up this year than we did last year.  Our short guards had a very difficult time getting the ball up court against the UTA because none of them were tall enough to pass the ball over the top.

Agree LU should have stayed in the Sunbelt or looked to move up to an even stronger conference.  Should never have dropped football.  IMO while not what it should have been the football program was improving when it was killed.  Stronger conference better chance to get quality recruits and better chance to schedule the kind of opponents that is necessary to fill the Montange.  I would like to see more teams coming in from Conference USA, Missouri Valley, Sunbelt, MEAC or other D-1 conference as opposed to Louisiana College.  Personally I would rather watch Lamar loose to the likes of say Tulsa, Houston, Southern Illinois, Wichita State or Creighton than win against a D-II or D-III school.

[quote name="UNLV" post="744109" timestamp="1263519006"]LU biggest problem is being in the SLC.
[/quote]

Are you saying that it is too difficult to keep up with the SHSUs and SLUs of the world? The Great West would probably take you if that's the case. Didn't LU have a heated rivalry with UT-Pan American back in the American South and Sun Belt days?

No, I am saying the facts show that LU averages around 3000 attendance per game in a building designed for about 9000.  Visiting teams like Sam Houston that only average about 1000 at home aren't going to draw the attention needed to fill the place.  It takes a conbination of winning and high quality opponents to get high average attendance even when a lower quality opponent comes to town.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86