Rangers Sign Vladimir Guerrero!

The Texas Rangers have agreed to terms with Vladimir Guerrero on a one-year deal for $5 million plus performance incentives with an option for a second year, according to a source.

Guerrero fills the Rangers' need for a right-handed bat in the middle of the lineup and will likely be the club's designated hitter.

Guerrero, who turns 35 in February, played in 100 games for the Los Angeles Angels in 2009, most of them at DH. He hit .295, his lowest average for any full season in the majors, but also added 15 homers and 50 RBIs. He also had a .334 on-base percentage, well below his career numbers.

He was on the disabled list twice, including one nearly monthlong stretch with a strained knee. Guerrero is a .321 hitter in his career and has a .386 on-base percentage.

Guerrero has historically played well against the Rangers and in Arlington in his career. He hit .396 against the Rangers in his six seasons with the Angels. The 14-year veteran played his first eight seasons with the Montreal Expos.

Guerrero brings postseason experience to the Rangers, something that has been missing in the clubhouse. Guerrero batted .378 in the 2009 playoffs.

[quote name="bullets13" post="741651" timestamp="1263104141"]
[quote author=speedkills link=topic=64566.msg741636#msg741636 date=1263100229]
What they need to do is sign some pitching but im not gonna argue with signing vlad that guy has got some power
[/quote]

if he stays healthy, rich harden should help.
[/quote]
maybe he will harden did good when healthy on the oakland atheletics

I don't care if Vlad hits .250 with 10 HR's and only 40 RBI.  The best part about this deal is that the RANGERS pitchers don't have to pitch to him anymore.  He was the biggest RANGERS killer in MLB.  That alone could count for 50 batting average points, anywhere between 5 and 10 HR's, 10-15 RBI, and probably 3 or 4 wins.  The only thing that could make this deal any better is if he were left-handed and swinging toward the home-run porch.   

Guest Orangeboy
Love this signing, if he can do what Marlon Byrd or Andruw Jones did last year the Rangers come out ahead, Cobb also made some good points in not having to face him. Also like the addition of Greene to their IF. Probably wont play much but is a solid glove to have fill in at 2b,3b, or ss.

The infield is solid, but they can't play every single day. He'll be perfect off the bench when rest is needed. And Guerrero will do much like Andruw from last year I think. Andruw probably could've hit 30 homeruns if he played every game last year, but he only played 80.

[quote name="AJ25" post="742485" timestamp="1263267799"]
The infield is solid, but they can't play every single day. He'll be perfect off the bench when rest is needed. And Guerrero will do much like Andruw from last year I think. Andruw probably could've hit 30 homeruns if he played every game last year, but he only played 80.
[/quote]

i think he'll be much better than jones was last year.  vlad will probably be more consistent.  jones had a resurgence, but after the first couple of months, he didn't do all that much.

[quote name="bullets13" post="745201" timestamp="1263743139"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=64566.msg742485#msg742485 date=1263267799]
[/quote]

i think he'll be much better than jones was last year.  vlad will probably be more consistent.  jones had a resurgence, but after the first couple of months, he didn't do all that much.
[/quote]

He also didn't play very much, it's hard to get anything going when you have 6 AB a week. But he couldn't stay healthy, just as Vlad didn't last year, so they're even there as well.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder