Houston Yates Vs?????

TopDawG52

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="CATMAN" post="736889" timestamp="1262274806"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64094.msg736329#msg736329 date=1262148066]
It was refreshing to see a real high school basketball team play ball.
[/quote] What,u are not going with H Bellaire.
That u team BLUE. :D :D :D :D
[/quote]Bellaire is on a mission this year. As I said before, they already have a calendar in the gym showing the dates for Austin in 5-A class. Kind of off subject but I'm in the gym watching Avery Johnson teach defense to Houston Hoops 14u. Awesome knowledge!

[quote name="tokenwb" post="736896" timestamp="1262275716"]
Could some of the past Lincoln, Ozen, or possibly Silsbee's 31-1 team (around 1999-2000 season) compete at all with this Yates team?
[/quote]

I really don't agree here.  The 1995 Lincoln (Dminique Hardie, S. Jackson, and Keith Harris were no pushovers) team could..  And the 2001 (National #1 team) Ozen team could.  Boutte/ would have slowed the game down to a half court game.  And bouth teams had good enough guards to make it happen...  With better bigs then Yates has right now!!!  But those are the only two.  Maybe the Luke Jackson or Omar Sneed Westbrook teams could have played well, but they would have lost to these Yates kids.

Sorry guys, have to disagree on this one..You can only slow down teams if you have better athletes..this yates team has a unique combination of great athletes and high skill level basketball players..the Ozen team you talk about would not slow em down, itwould have gotten ugly. Big Perk did not move very well his last 2 years in h.s. the guards were good, but not like these kids. The bigs were just bigger than other teams and guards were good enough to get it to them. It is Houston 4 million plus, and kids are moving in nowa days just to play with a buddy or 2 from an AAU team. Just not a community game with boundaries over there anymore.. Hate it for the teams in our area, because once that good team comes through here, they have to see those guys..Good News is GRADUATION is right around the corner!!!

[quote name="team first" post="736944" timestamp="1262286854"]
Sorry guys, have to disagree on this one..You can only slow down teams if you have better athletes..this yates team has a unique combination of great athletes and high skill level basketball players..the Ozen team you talk about would not slow em down, itwould have gotten ugly. Big Perk did not move very well his last 2 years in h.s. the guards were good, but not like these kids. The bigs were just bigger than other teams and guards were good enough to get it to them. It is Houston 4 million plus, and kids are moving in nowa days just to play with a buddy or 2 from an AAU team. Just not a community game with boundaries over there anymore.. Hate it for the teams in our area, because once that good team comes through here, they have to see those guys..Good News is GRADUATION is right around the corner!!!
[/quote]

Sorry Team first.. 2001 was Perk's sophmore year!!! And they were deep enough and good enough to win... And I was putting my money on Albert Marshall and Mike Thomas.  And there you go, I am glad you asmitted how agile perk was as a sophmore.  Tigee Reiaux, Brandon Chappell, Allen colbert, Jason Dabney, Keena Young and Perkins finished out that loaded roster and were flat out better than this Yates team.  Not to mention more athletic.  ANd the coaching style of Boutte would have been too much for Nic Wise.  You forget Wheatly has played that type of ball with great talent for years, and Boutte has beat them.  Now high school just gets more publicity than those days!  And this Ozen team was number one in the nation too!!! And you willing to tell me that any of these Yates kids are better than Stevy Jackson, BJ Tyler, Damon Sweet, or Luke Jackson?  No and they played on some great highschool teams that were deep.  Stevy's team had three D1's at a time when the internet wasn't available to follow Lincoln BBALL.  Sorry team firt but you are so very wrong. 

The '98 Silsbee team was deep with two D1 signees....  Thadeous Young was better than Joe Young for sure... ASK DUKE!  And Louis Arline was a beast at the rim.  They were good enough to give Yates fits. 

You need really strong and really good guards to beat Yates.  And you don't have to run with them.  They try to speed you up so you can make more mistakes than they do.  They had 25 TO in that game last night!!!!  You have to control the tempo of the game and not let them.  When you break the press, set-up a half court offense.  Then Perk/Marshall would dominate, just like Stevy/Harris, Arline/Young, BJ Tyler/Rodden Green/Kevin McKyer, and Skip/Dubie/Ronnie.

It is easy to forget how good these teams were.  But truly look back and tell yourself that these teams sprinkled with pros and D1's before GOOGLE would not have beat Yates!!!????? [glow=red,2,300]PLEASE!!!![/glow]

I think Dallas Lincoln with Bosh and company would beat them, and the Wheatley team that beat Lincoln back in the day, and Lincoln's '92 or '95 team could as well. i'd even put Houston Madison's team back in the early 90s (i think it was '93) in there as well.

[quote name="scooter!" post="736974" timestamp="1262290600"]
I think Dallas Lincoln with Bosh and company would beat them, and the Wheatley team that beat Lincoln back in the day, and Lincoln's '92 or '95 team could as well. i'd even put Houston Madison's team back in the early 90s (i think it was '93) in there as well.
[/quote]

Put it like this... A lesser Quality Ozen team came within 2 points of beating that same Yates press 2 years ago.  Yate had a better big then too.  Anthony Jones(6'10" with guard skillz) now at Baylor, Peters and Young Started then.  And they had a much better PG then that was about 6'.  They were deep because Elton Roy, and Darious Gardner came off the bench only Peters started.  They went 12 deep that year and beat Oakhill (with Brandon Jennings) and St. Patrick (with Dexter Strictland) .  A young Wheatly team (beat them at their own game) in the regional finals to advance to State.  And Sophmore DeCarlos and Junior Breon were no where near as good as Albert Marshal and Mike Thomas. 

[quote name="TopDawG52" post="737006" timestamp="1262295007"]
Team looks like the 3a Kountze championship team just there big man is 6-9 and Kountze big man was 6-5. 
The kid Joseph Young reminds me of Keithan Hancock pulled the 3 pt frm anywhere on the court. Yates Press and
run and shoot thats wat that Kountze team did.
[/quote]

But Yates does it against better talent than Kountze!  Itrs hard to press D1 kids like that.. And Yates does it consistantly!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="737008" timestamp="1262295810"]
[quote author=TopDawG52 link=topic=64094.msg737006#msg737006 date=1262295007]
Team looks like the 3a Kountze championship team just there big man is 6-9 and Kountze big man was 6-5. 
The kid Joseph Young reminds me of Keithan Hancock pulled the 3 pt frm anywhere on the court. Yates Press and
run and shoot thats wat that Kountze team did.
[/quote]

But Yates does it against better talent than Kountze!  Itrs hard to press D1 kids like that.. And Yates does it consistantly!
[/quote]  Im just Saying this Yates team vs that Kountze team would be a close game. Or we could go back to the days of Josh Hancock and Tramain Hancock
When they did not have a press break. They just got the ball and broke it there self.

[quote name="whsalum" post="737046" timestamp="1262304198"]
The Willowridge club could have played with these guys I believe but the local clubs that were mentioned I don't think could hang.The defense these guys play is unreal and Young's shot is scary good.
[/quote]  Yea Young Shot is Probably the best in the State. This Kid Range is Crazy. Oh yeah and Brandon Snap Peters is a high Flyer like those kids down in little ole kountze. ;D

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="736966" timestamp="1262288661"]
The '98 Silsbee team was deep with two D1 signees....  Thadeous Young was better than Joe Young for sure... ASK DUKE!  And Louis Arline was a beast at the rim.  They were good enough to give Yates fits. 

You need really strong and really good guards to beat Yates.  And you don't have to run with them.  They try to speed you up so you can make more mistakes than they do.  They had 25 TO in that game last night!!!!  You have to control the tempo of the game and not let them.  When you break the press, set-up a half court offense.  Then Perk/Marshall would dominate, just like Stevy/Harris, Arline/Young, BJ Tyler/Rodden Green/Kevin McKyer, and Skip/Dubie/Ronnie.

It is easy to forget how good these teams were.  But truly look back and tell yourself that these teams sprinkled with pros and D1's before GOOGLE would not have beat Yates!!!????? [glow=red,2,300]PLEASE!!!![/glow]

[/quote]

Hey short, the Silsbee player's name is Thadeous Holden, not Young.

Silsbee was 13 deep that season. Unheard of!!! But I still say they lose to this Yates team.

I'm going strictly by memory here so bare with me but how many of these local teams mentioned wound up winning sate?I know the one Ozen club did and a couple of the Lincoln clubs but I think Silsbee had an early playoff exit with the club that lost 1 game.The team that Yates beat yesterday by 30 won the Alabama state 5-a championship last year so no doubt they can play.The scheme Yates runs reminds me of the really good Kountze clubs with more depth.As far as the coaches go Wise is a very good coach who took a few years off to watch his sons play.I don't think Boutte would have a huge advantage on him by any stretch.

No doubt the team they beat last night could play and was very well coached.The defensive pressure was definitely yhe difference.I believe the Alabama club had 20 turnovers in the first quarter.The Young kid from Yates reminded me of former Lamar guard Mike Oliver,when he came across the mid court line he got a gleam in is eye.

[quote name="whsalum" post="737079" timestamp="1262311068"]
No doubt the team they beat last night could play and was very well coached.The defensive pressure was definitely yhe difference.I believe the Alabama club had 20 turnovers in the first quarter.The Young kid from Yates reminded me of former Lamar guard Mike Oliver,when he came across the mid court line he got a gleam in is eye.
[/quote]Young was in a zone.......how about that last sec shot before half time...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="737052" timestamp="1262305283"]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=64094.msg736966#msg736966 date=1262288661]

[/quote]

Hey short, the Silsbee player's name is Thadeous Holden, not Young.

Silsbee was 13 deep that season. Unheard of!!! But I still say they lose to this Yates team.
[/quote]

Tahnx!! And I knew that... Got caught up in the moment!! We finished in the same year! And both went to LU

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed