Tournament Gate Prices

TeamJagUS

Now that tournament season is upon us in earnest I was wondering what the customary gate fee is, specifically for kids (students). I was unpleasantly unamused that at the Goodrich tournament the fee was $4 adult or kid, with the off hand explanation that "well that's what other places are charging". I know that the purpose of tournaments is to "raise money", and it costs money to put one on, but considering that most little kids are along for the ride why would I pay more for the privilege of having my youngster pester the hell out of me about money for the concession? And on top of that is the obligatory "no reentry without repaying" sign, what has happened to common sense? What next, charging the players to get in to play?

I know some will say "if you can't afford it don't go" (which I won't be taking the "students" back, so in the end the sponsors actually loose revenue, gate and concession), or "its not that much so who cares" but I gotta say that for me it was not that long ago that it would have been a real problem over the course of several tournaments and for some it may still be (especially in this economy as we've become fond of saying). Seems like schools should be interested in being reasonable with their charges instead of trying to squeeze every filthy dollar out of you they possibly can, I assume the person(s) who made that decision were neither economists or particularly sensitive to current economic pressures. When is enough enough? Geez at least offer a reduced cost 3 day pass to ensure your revenue. I don't mind contributing, but as someone once said "I don't mind a guy making a living, I just don't want him making ALL off of me". Maybe the idea is to discourage attendance or future participation?

I've seen this kind of greed before in baseball "all stars" and select ball, maybe its polluting the schools now too. I was very surprised when we went to see our nephews play in Sour Lake's Pony tournament a couple of years ago, charges were very reasonable, I was happy to pay and dump some cash in the concessions too, probably spent more in the end but felt like it was reasonable AND had a good time AND recommended going to others.

Is anybody charging $10 a head yet?  ::)

And yeah I'm a cheap sonuvagun, but just cuz I can afford it don't mean I'm gonna pay it. Interested in what other places charge and other opinions, which all of this is JUST MINE.

[quote name="scooby" post="727941" timestamp="1260509310"]
Now that tournament season is upon us in earnest I was wondering what the customary gate fee is, specifically for kids (students). I was unpleasantly unamused that at the Goodrich tournament the fee was $4 adult or kid, with the off hand explanation that "well that's what other places are charging". I know that the purpose of tournaments is to "raise money", and it costs money to put one on, but considering that most little kids are along for the ride why would I pay more for the privilege of having my youngster pester the heck out of me about money for the concession? And on top of that is the obligatory "no reentry without repaying" sign, what has happened to common sense? What next, charging the players to get in to play?

I know some will say "if you can't afford it don't go" (which I won't be taking the "students" back, so in the end the sponsors actually loose revenue, gate and concession), or "its not that much so who cares" but I gotta say that for me it was not that long ago that it would have been a real problem over the course of several tournaments and for some it may still be (especially in this economy as we've become fond of saying). Seems like schools should be interested in being reasonable with their charges instead of trying to squeeze every filthy dollar out of you they possibly can, I assume the person(s) who made that decision were neither economists or particularly sensitive to current economic pressures. When is enough enough? Geez at least offer a reduced cost 3 day pass to ensure your revenue. I don't mind contributing, but as someone once said "I don't mind a guy making a living, I just don't want him making ALL off of me". Maybe the idea is to discourage attendance or future participation?

I've seen this kind of greed before in baseball "all stars" and select ball, maybe its polluting the schools now too. I was very surprised when we went to see our nephews play in Sour Lake's Pony tournament a couple of years ago, charges were very reasonable, I was happy to pay and dump some cash in the concessions too, probably spent more in the end but felt like it was reasonable AND had a good time AND recommended going to others.

Is anybody charging $10 a head yet?  ::)

And yeah I'm a cheap sonuvagun, but just cuz I can afford it don't mean I'm gonna pay it. Interested in what other places charge and other opinions, which all of this is JUST MINE.

[/quote] If u go outside @ GOODRICH u have got to pay again to get back in.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="728210" timestamp="1260556905"]
[quote author=CATMAN link=topic=63640.msg728163#msg728163 date=1260553039]
The Texas Invitational Tournament a 3 day pass was 20 dollars. the tour.had 48 boys teams.32 girls teams.
A good price,for that many games.
[/quote]So Cat, what percentage went to the the director's????  :D
[/quote] All the money went to the PISD sport dept. I would like to see how much went to the ref.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder