*Dayton vs. Brenham Playoff Updates.......Brenham Advances!!!*

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="cubfan12" post="725695" timestamp="1260205133"]
Thanks liltex and the rest of you SETX supporters. I think that might be the nicest thing you've ever said about the Cubs, LOL.
[/quote]

good game to the cubs!!!

To those in dayton questioning the coaching.... don't. Coaching got the broncos to this point.

[quote name="dayton" post="725701" timestamp="1260205756"]
[quote author=cubfan12 link=topic=63402.msg725695#msg725695 date=1260205133]
Thanks liltex and the rest of you SETX supporters. I think that might be the nicest thing you've ever said about the Cubs, LOL.
[/quote]

good game to the cubs!!!

To those in dayton questioning the coaching.... don't. Coaching got the broncos to this point.
[/quote]
AMEN!
The coaches at Dayton have gotten the young men at Dayton to the quarter-finals three years in a row.
Many people around here just gave the Broncos success to AJ and Cody, but even without the 2 superstars, the Broncos are still the best east of Houston, why...
COACHING!
No other coaching staff around here improves the talent of the kids from 7th to 12th grade.
With the talent coming up from the junior high, look for the Broncos to be back in the quarterfinals next year.

[quote name="Backflipper" post="725802" timestamp="1260215385"]
Are you kidding me??? People are actually questioning the coaching?  They must be new Dayton fans because if you were around BS (before stewart) then you would never ever question it... Trust me!
[/quote]

Yep a random guy told me after the game that the coaching could've been bettter in the 4th Qtr. He wanted payton at Qb. I was thinking,.... dang, Andres ran for a first down and the kid made a play by the looks of it and the ball got knocked loose. Oh well, some people will never be happy. I think the broncos.... especially that sophomore laden offense (1st year on var. sophs at that) overachieved this year. I'm proud of 'em.

Look at what one "fan" posted on chron.com.

[i][color=purple]snowbunnyassassin wrote:
Congrats to the Brenham Cubs. Now I understand they are a bunch of kids. But come on Coach Stewart you cannot expect a 5ft 2 QB to lead us to state. With 4 min left of the game why didn't you put in Payton as your QB. Let him run the time out and he can also pass the ball better than Herrera. Don't get me wrong I bet the kid is a outstanding student and a outstanding citizen of Dayton. I bet he is a role model for the younger kids in Dayton. I bet he aspires the children in the community so they can believe in themselves and become anyting they want to be. The man isn't built to be a QB. But I will give Herrera credit. He did step up he did accepted the challenge to become the starting qb for Dayton. He had some really big shoes to fill and my opinion he did a outstanding job by guiding his team to the 4th round of the playoffs is no easy task. Instead you stuck with this QB and in the last 4 minute of the game he found away to fumble the ball, fall on his back for a safety, and threw a INT. The week before when we were playing El Campo. The defense were destroying our offense you put in Payton and their defense couldn't stop the Bronco offense. The same thing was happening in the first half until you took out Herrera and put in Payton as your QB, Brenham couldn't stop the Bronx offense but for some reason with the last 4 minutes of the game you refuse to change your ways refuse to call different plays in the playoffs and guess what complacency kills. Our goal in Dayton shouldn't be win district, and go into the playoffs. our goal should be to win STATE! not just next year but to win State every single year. I do not know why the paper in Dayton doesn't call you out. I do not know why 99.9 doesn't call you out. And 99.9 that annoucer that covers the Broncos is GARBAGE, hot GARBAGE!!!!.[/color][/i]

I guess he didn't notice andres running like crazy from the 2nd qtr on and when he got time, making some nice throws... those LB's of Brenham were quick!!! Gotta give them some credit.

The Coaching at Dayton was awesome this year! The only think that I would have questioned was riding the Soph. QB that deep in the playoffs. He is a good QB ,but didn't seem to have the composure/vision that the starter had. Ploche (Sorry if I killed the spelling in the name)in my opinion should have been taking all of the snaps in this game. On the other hand though the Soph. QB should be battle tested and will be something to watch for the next two years.  It just seemed like Ploche talent was under utilized in such a big game.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="725835" timestamp="1260218320"]
The Coaching at Dayton was awesome this year! The only think that I would have questioned was riding the Soph. QB that deep in the playoffs. He is a good QB ,but didn't seem to have the composure/vision that the starter had. Ploche (Sorry if I killed the spelling in the name)in my opinion should have been taking all of the snaps in this game. On the other hand though the Soph. QB should be battle tested and will be something to watch for the next two years.  It just seemed like Ploche talent was under utilized in such a big game.
[/quote]

[color=green][b]Brenham this is in no way discrediting what you did Saturday, you deserve to keep playing. I am posting the this for the coaching nay sayers.[/b][/color]

[b]Quote from TXHSA Magazine:[/b]

[i]For the many fans in the stands that disagreed with Coach Stewart about things that did or did not happen, it may be that things went on not everyone
knew about.
“Tony Hill got hurt in the first quarter, and we think he may have some ACL damage, so we couldn’t put him on defense anymore. That hurt us on the running game because Tony is pretty tough in the middle. Payton Ploch hurt the shoulder
of his right arm and couldn’t throw much so we couldn’t put him at quarterback much. We tried massage and heating it up – the back of his shoulder blade. So, those things happen during a ball game and sometimes things just go bad.”[/i]

Dayton fan's, I know of a boat load of programs that would swap coaches! Fot the first time in years I am happy to say PNG is not one of them, but most around the area would.

Go ahead and run him outta town and see how quickly he is gobbled up by a first rate program! ;)

I can hear the chant's from BH now...fire stewart, Fire Stewart, FIRE Stewart, FIRE STEWART, [size=10pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=12pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=14pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=16pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=16pt][b]FIRE STEWART[/b][/size]

;D

Wow "Bronce pride" you sign on the first time and then want to Bash Jerry Stewart, who by the way is a great coach, Why not bash him at all, and just simply thank him for all he does for his players, like helping them be recruited by top colleges all over the nation, and teaching them to be one of the classiest teams on the gridiron. Oh yeah and by the way, make them one of the top teams in the state year in and year out.......

[quote name="badndn" post="725886" timestamp="1260222935"]
Dayton fan's, I know of a boat load of programs that would swap coaches! Fot the first time in years I am happy to say PNG is not one of them, but most around the area would.

Go ahead and run him outta town and see how quickly he is gobbled up by a first rate program! ;)
[/quote]

OMG, what is there to say about this:

#1 - It's the announcer's job to call the game and not offer opinions or critiques of the coaching staff in game.
#2 - What paper is there that has the time to call him out after 14 straight playoff appearances, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semi-finals, and 1 state final?  You may not agree with every in-game decision but look at the results.  Do you remember the state of the program BEFORE STEWART.  There's a reason we don't end our posts with HONOR, PRIDE, TRADITION because we can't...there was no tradition, honor, or pride BEFORE STEWART.  Not meaning that as a knock to PNG but an example because you have the history.
#3 - Everyone likes to Monday morning quarterback but do we really have any idea what's going on with these kids or in that locker room??  The answer is no, so I just look at results....hmmmm....you know someone that could do better???  See the fiasco that is Notre Dame Football....
#4 - I know it's an emotional loss here at the end of the season and I'm sure the goal is the State Championship but compose yourself and think before you speak.  Did I want to win - yes; did I think we had that game and let it slip away - yes, until I found out about the injuries and goes to show how much Tony Hill means to this team; the QB is not the problem....I'd like to have Joe Montana coming through the program every year but c'mon - that doesn't happen in High School!!!!
#5 - The powers that be (season ticket holders, school board, former players) know what kind of coach we have in Coach Stewart and I only hope that we won't let him get away.  No one is going to run him out of town....we're actually hoping he finishes that house before any other schools come knocking.... ;).  Don't worry about that part Badndn
#6 - Proves that every town has .... what's a word that I can use so I won't get banned from the site .... less than smart football fans.
#7 - It's been another fun year with all the good natured smack-talk in support of our teams so thank you SETX Sports for hosting this forum.

(UN) fortunately- Dayton fans have become spoiled with the success of Stewarts program and come to expect a win no matter what ! Most are well meaning ,but frustrations gets the best of them sometimes. People have to realized when you make deep runs in the playoffs your playing other well coached,discipline power house teams that think they are as good as you are. Sometimes its just luck or fate that determines the outcome.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="725919" timestamp="1260224502"]
I guess that Stewart never makes mistakes. Didnt say he wasnt a good coach but if you really beleive Herrera is the better choice at QB then you dont know anything about football. In a football game when its crunch time you put the ball in your best players hand. Payton touched the ball 10 times in the game and scored 3 of them. I have been to every game for the last 10 years and will always be a bronco fan and this was the worst decision i have seen. The past 2 years we got beat by the better team. This year I put it on Stewart. Sorry.
[/quote]

Well "Bronco Pride" I know a little, I'm a current coach at the 4A level, my specialty is strength and conditioning, and have coached and played at both at the collegiate level and professional level, use your google skills I am not hard to trace down. I don't hide behind funny handle, I just use my real name, because most people in this part of Texas already know me, that follow football. If Jerry Stewart said the boy couldn't throw, I tend to believe him. I just love it when an armchair quarterback/coach loves to second guess a man that has a proven record. Jerry Stewart makes mistakes, everybody does, that means you're human. But who are you to criticize what he does. Then you want to tell me I don't know anything about football, that takes a lot son. How many Superbowl ring and Cotton Bowl rings and Big 12 Championship rings do you have? I just happen to have a few. But I will admit I have yet to coach or play, in a State Championship in Texas High School football, so you may have a point. But you might also work on the spelling and grammer while you're re-writing the playbook for Dayton.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="725900" timestamp="1260223559"]
If payton shoulder was hurting why was he on kick of coverage he didnt look hurt when he ran down the field laying people out. Even if he never threw a pass he is the better QB. Look at the numbers for the game Herrera completed 5 passes.
[/quote]

Your screen name should be anything but, "bronco pride". Stewart is exactly the reason you can say that. The success Dayton has achieved is a direct result of what he has done for the program. Climb back under your rock and leave Bronco Football discussion to the real fans.

[quote name="dayton" post="725831" timestamp="1260218034"]
[quote author=Backflipper link=topic=63402.msg725802#msg725802 date=1260215385]
Are you kidding me??? People are actually questioning the coaching?  They must be new Dayton fans because if you were around BS (before stewart) then you would never ever question it... Trust me!
[/quote]

Yep a random guy told me after the game that the coaching could've been bettter in the 4th Qtr. He wanted payton at Qb. I was thinking,.... dang, Andres ran for a first down and the kid made a play by the looks of it and the ball got knocked loose. Oh well, some people will never be happy. I think the broncos.... especially that sophomore laden offense (1st year on var. sophs at that) overachieved this year. I'm proud of 'em.

Look at what one "fan" posted on chron.com.

[i][color=purple]snowbunnyassassin wrote:
Congrats to the Brenham Cubs. Now I understand they are a bunch of kids. But come on Coach Stewart you cannot expect a 5ft 2 QB to lead us to state. With 4 min left of the game why didn't you put in Payton as your QB. Let him run the time out and he can also pass the ball better than Herrera. Don't get me wrong I bet the kid is a outstanding student and a outstanding citizen of Dayton. I bet he is a role model for the younger kids in Dayton. I bet he aspires the children in the community so they can believe in themselves and become anyting they want to be. The man isn't built to be a QB. But I will give Herrera credit. He did step up he did accepted the challenge to become the starting qb for Dayton. He had some really big shoes to fill and my opinion he did a outstanding job by guiding his team to the 4th round of the playoffs is no easy task. Instead you stuck with this QB and in the last 4 minute of the game he found away to fumble the ball, fall on his back for a safety, and threw a INT. The week before when we were playing El Campo. The defense were destroying our offense you put in Payton and their defense couldn't stop the Bronco offense. The same thing was happening in the first half until you took out Herrera and put in Payton as your QB, Brenham couldn't stop the Bronx offense but for some reason with the last 4 minutes of the game you refuse to change your ways refuse to call different plays in the playoffs and guess what complacency kills. Our goal in Dayton shouldn't be win district, and go into the playoffs. our goal should be to win STATE! not just next year but to win State every single year. I do not know why the paper in Dayton doesn't call you out. I do not know why 99.9 doesn't call you out. And 99.9 that annoucer that covers the Broncos is GARBAGE, hot GARBAGE!!!!.[/color][/i]

I guess he didn't notice andres running like crazy from the 2nd qtr on and when he got time, making some nice throws... those LB's of Brenham were quick!!! Gotta give them some credit.
[/quote]

I think Dayton, should fire Stewart!!! He ran all the wrong plays, didn't adjust on defense, played all the wrong players at all the wrong positions, and he waisted a ton of D1 talent. I hope ya'll take Barber Hill's lead and send him packing!!! Really, what has he done for Dayton? So, he has taken ya'll to the playoffs for the last 100 years...he's never won a State Title!!! He's worthless!! I think it's time for ya'll to make a change and get a fresh perspective on your athletic program. We have it all figured out at the Hill, so if you'd like to have a program like ours...follow our example.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="725900" timestamp="1260223559"]
If payton shoulder was hurting why was he on kick of coverage he didnt look hurt when he ran down the field laying people out. Even if he never threw a pass he is the better QB. Look at the numbers for the game Herrera completed 5 passes.
[/quote]
Bronco pride I talked to coach stewart myself, he would love for you to come up to the school and discuss play calling and personel.  You are welcome to come around 10:00am.  If you cant make it at 10:00 then let him know what would be the best time so that he can be there.  They always welcome informed gentleman such as you.  Maybe that is why he is so successful because he stays opened minded and willing to learn.  Just come on up and inform him.  Hey he might even give you a job you never know.  I bet the entire staff would love to learn from you.  It could be like a coaching clinic.  Let them know when you are coming so that they can get subs for their classes.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="725966" timestamp="1260230120"]
Stewart is a great coach and is the reason for Daytons success...if you think otherwise, you must have a really low football IQ.
[/quote]

Ummmm....I would like to point out that a fan of the opponent that just BEAT us (uhummm [clearing throat]...pay attention bronco pride) is saying we have an awesome coach.....I think that speaks volumes and uhh is proof that maybe bronco pride is not only not a good nickname for you but may indicate you could be suffering from some sort of memory loss (14 years to be exact)! That is all I have to say about that because I honestly can't think of anything else....I am at a loss for words :-X or at least for words that will keep me from getting in trouble  :-X

One last thing....... congratulations Coach Stewart and the entire coaching staff for another absolutely fantastic season!!!! I am so appreciative for everything you have done for Dayton and for the boys that have gone/ will go through your program...in addition to developing great football players, you all have had an important hand in turning them into fine young men with values and determination!!! I also know you believe in your players and for those willing to put in the effort you will do what you can to help them go on to the next level and that is greatly appreciated!!!Thank you for all your hardwork and dedication to the youth in Dayton!

[quote name="badndn" post="725906" timestamp="1260223893"]
I can hear the chant's from BH now...fire stewart, Fire Stewart, FIRE Stewart, FIRE STEWART, [size=10pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=12pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=14pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=16pt]FIRE STEWART[/size], [size=16pt][b]FIRE STEWART[/b][/size]

;D
[/quote]

Calm down little Indian my post was just an observation Stewart can out Coach most of the programs in this area in his sleep. The man has skills ;D

[quote name="bronco1" post="725870" timestamp="1260221933"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=63402.msg725835#msg725835 date=1260218320]
[/quote]

[color=green][b]Brenham this is in no way discrediting what you did Saturday, you deserve to keep playing. I am posting the this for the coaching nay sayers.[/b][/color]

[b]Quote from TXHSA Magazine:[/b]

[i]For the many fans in the stands that disagreed with Coach Stewart about things that did or did not happen, it may be that things went on not everyone
knew about.
“Tony Hill got hurt in the first quarter, and we think he may have some ACL damage, so we couldn’t put him on defense anymore. That hurt us on the running game because Tony is pretty tough in the middle. Payton Ploch hurt the shoulder
of his right arm and couldn’t throw much so we couldn’t put him at quarterback much. We tried massage and heating it up – the back of his shoulder blade. So, those things happen during a ball game and sometimes things just go bad.”[/i]
[/quote]

Thanks for the Info. this is the stuff that goes on during the game that we the fans can't see. Like I said it had me scratching my head because I have watched quite a few Bronco games and it didn't seem like anything Stewart would do. After the blocked punt when they brought Payton in for the first score I thought that was a good move. Nothing against the soph. you guys will have a fine QB coming up and for him to even function at that level of the playoffs is just awesome in itself. Congrats to the Bronco's on a fine season and making folks appreciate 19-4A

Coach Stewart and his staff are great, period. I can bet you that just about anyone that watches or follows high school football in the state of Texas is probably familiar with the Dayton Broncos or has heard of the Broncos. Coach Stewart always gets the most out of the kids. The Broncos have put Dayton on the map in the state of texas. We have become spoiled here in Bronco land and expect to win every game we play and it does not matter who we play. That just speaks volumes of our coaches and their committment to the Bronco program. I do not know of any town around the area that looks forward to Friday night football more than Dayton but I am from Dayton so I guess thats just IMO. Coach Stewart is probably one of the most powerful men in Dayton and will be considered a legend when he retires. I am sure Dayton will name a street after him. About the game, how many 10th grade qbs have taken their team into the 4th round of the playoffs in the past, just curious. Coach Stewart did not have many options at the end and did the best with what he had. I think Herrera did a good job and the Broncos will be better off next year for his experience this year, Hope he grows some, LOL. Great job Bronco Coaches and Players. Its hard to see us go down in the last 5 minutes of the game  but it just was not our year.  Congrats................    

[u][b]Watching the Broncos over the years has become a way of life[/b][/u].......

JORDAN BAXTER, [b][u][i]watching you grow up [/u] [/b] [/i] playing sports throughout the years has been so exciting!!! I can remember you being  the fastest little kid on the soccer field, going to different states hitting grand slams, and most of all sacking many qb’s. You make me so proud kid! [/quote]

Your post actually got me to thinking back to just how long I have been watching these kids play sports. I can recall watching them in tee-ball when they were barely taller than the baseball bat....boy how they have grown!  I have many fond memories of watching them grow up and some of the most memorable times I will always look back on and smile were our trips to the Frio River with Jordan Baxter, Payton Ploch and Chance McCormack....fun, fun times for sure!  I can't think of anything more exciting right now than to think they could go off to the same college!!! That would make me very, very happy  ;D sure would make keeping up with them on Saturdays a lot easier  :D

Jordan- we sure are going to miss watching you get all pumped up after sacking a QB and pretending you don't hear us yelling at you from the stands :P........CHAOS!!!! ;)  You are like family and I wish you nothing but the best! You know where to find us in late July/ early August and you are always, always welcome!!! I promise to be done fishing by 5pm ;)

Payton- what can I say...you, young man have amazing skill and talent, not that I ever thought differently :P.  You have had a great 2 years while dealing with a tough, tough thing....I know your dad was watching and is very proud of you!!! You have a special guardian angel to protect and watch over you forever....always remember that! If you ever want to get away, you are more than welcome to join our family vacation- you know how to find us.  I hope and pray all your dreams come true!

Chance.....we are so, so, so proud of you!!! You are one heck of a kid- your parents could not have done a better job!!! I am so proud and excited to see you start this next chapter in your life....I know you will be successful in achieving all your dreams and will make us all proud.....you always do- it's in your blood  :P :-*

I can't believe how ignorant some people are.  There are a lot of things you can question and criticize in life, but Jerry Stewart's knowledge and understanding of football ain't one of them.  His resume speaks for itself and some of the things he's done off the field for kids that have played for him are even more impressive.  There's a reason he's pulling down six figures a year and you're pulling in 12 bucks an hour at the plant.  But feel free to keep making yourselves look like idiots.

I'm not sure if you remember Dayton football before Coach Stewart, but I do.  
Coach Stewart has 123 wins in 14 seasons at Dayton.  The previous 14 seasons before Coach Stewart Dayton won 62 games. That's just over 4 games a season.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder