Lake Travis survives early scare

Oh wow!  I could have sworn I saw 27-0 LT on another website right after the Dayton game...typo I guess....interesting to say the least and about time- not that I have anything against LT, I just think they are more a 5a team and have dominated 4a for far too long.  Good to see someone give them a run for their money!

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="715368" timestamp="1258871187"]
Maybe they are beatable

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/2009/11/22/1122laketravis.html
[/quote]

Yeah - by a team that is as good as Steele/ They are a very very good team, top 5 or 10 team, geez!

Guest GCMPats
You people must me crazy, Steele was one of the top teams in that region. This was not Houston Wheatley that put a scare into the Cavs, but a legitimate football team.

It was quite a game.  Steele has an outstanding running back named Malcom Brown, a good offensive line, and an excellent front 7 on defense.  Brown is the best running back I have seen play in person at the high school level.  Really a tough down hill runner.

LT kicked to start the game, held Steele and was pinned deep with the punt.  After a penalty stalled any progress, the ball was snapped over the punters head for a safety.  Steele took the ensuing kick down for a fieldgoal.  LT then started clicking on offense and drove down to the Steele 16 and had a perfect screen setup.  Only problem was the Steele LB made a great leaping play on the pass and took it 86 yards for a pick 6.  12-0 Steele. :o

Steele then held LT on the next possession, and following a punt, Malcom Brown broke a 3rd and 14 play for ~ 60 yards.  The LT safety caught him at about the 15 and stripped the ball.  LT recovered and the momentum changed.  Almost went down 19-0 and that would have been tough to recover from given Steele's possession offense. 

LT drove the field scored, then did it again before the half to go up 13-12. 

Game boiled to down Steele with a 1st and goal from the LT 3 yard line with 1 minute to play.  LT held them out for 4 plays and held on to win.  Quite a game.  Steele is an outstanding football team.  Both teams had some huge hits and made some mistakes.  Two fumbles caused by LT hits really won the game for them.

Next? 8)

Interestingly Steele had them down by 10 in the 3rd qtr last year, and Gilbert brought them back to win.....and Malcom Brown did not even play in the game last year.

LT is definitely battle tested at this point.  They have been blowing out everyone so bad there were concerns over the starters having to play a full game with the outcome on the line.  That concern was alleviated last Saturday.

It was not an early scare.  It was 48 minutes of terror for LT.  Malcolm Brown had 299 yards rushing.  Lake Travis had the right defense called on Steele's 4th and goal, and Steele ran right into it.  

The key play of the game was when Brown ran over around and through the LT defense for the first 30 yards of of what looked to be a 80 or so yard TD play.  Brown was gassed and a Lake Travis player caught up with him inside the 20 and punched the ball out of his arm.  LT recovered and saved the TD.  

Malcolm Brown is a Jr.  and will at or near the top of everybody recruiting list next year.  Some of his runs reminded me of Jim Brown'S NFL Highlights runs.

FYI, Steele will be in class 5A next year, and Lake Travis will be back in class 4A.

Talked to a coach here in Friendswood that had talked to some coaches in Centex area. He said Travis is still an incredible team, but that this year they are at least human without Gilbert. Last year with him they were probably the best High School team in the NATION! This year they may only be the best in Texas.
Meaning that anybody else has a 2 in 10 chance to beat em, instead of the 0 in 10 chance last year.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="GUNHO" post="716802" timestamp="1259069591"]
Just goes to show ya.When your good for any leanth of time everyone wants someone to beat you.Every team comes back to the pack sooner or later...then a new star will arise and we can't wait until they get beat. ;D
[/quote]

Goose Creek Memorial would glady shoulder the burden of being the best team in Texas.  ;D

[quote name="GCMPats" post="716815" timestamp="1259071437"]
[quote author=GUNHO link=topic=62819.msg716802#msg716802 date=1259069591]
Just goes to show ya.When your good for any leanth of time everyone wants someone to beat you.Every team comes back to the pack sooner or later...then a new star will arise and we can't wait until they get beat. ;D
[/quote]

Goose Creek Memorial would glady shoulder the burden of being the best team in Texas.  ;D
[/quote]

Yeah.There's a lot of teams that would love to have that problem. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83