Football Stadium

Guest coachacola
No, and it's frustrating because I wrote an email to the athletic department about 2 or 3 months ago and they said they would release some drawings soon, but of course they never did.  North Texas just broke ground on their new stadium and they have a new website just for the stadium with lots of drawings.  LU can't even update the construction blog.

[quote name="coachacola" post="712121" timestamp="1258649923"]
No, and it's frustrating because I wrote an email to the athletic department about 2 or 3 months ago and they said they would release some drawings soon, but of course they never did.  North Texas just broke ground on their new stadium and they have a new website just for the stadium with lots of drawings.  LU can't even update the construction blog.
[/quote]
Correction.  North Texas will have an official groundbreaking ceremony this Saturday, 11:00AM, prior to the Army/UNT football game.  The actual moving of dirt will start after the first of the year.  This stadium was desperately needed.

• 3 weeks later...
was talking today to some of the guys on the team and they have seen the drawings.  Going to be suites added on to the Montange Center.  There will be berm seating behind the endzones and what should be the third largest scoreboard in the state on top of the athletic complex.  The berm seating could bring capacity up to 25k

[quote name="Javelina" post="727080" timestamp="1260388405"]
was talking today to some of the guys on the team and they have seen the drawings.  Going to be suites added on to the Montange Center.  There will be berm seating behind the endzones and what should be the third largest scoreboard in the state on top of the athletic complex.  The berm seating could bring capacity up to 25k
[/quote]

That's what I like to hear!!!

[quote name="coachacola" post="727173" timestamp="1260393650"]
So what's the hold up on showing the drawings to the public?  Is this some sort of top secret construction project vital to national security?
[/quote]

Not sure but they have some structure up finally where the Athletic facility is supposed to be.

Berm seating??
There's always been "Berm Seating". That's just the hills in either endzone. Good lord I hope they are not trying to sell us all on "Berm Seating" as a draw.

Sitting on the hill is nice for a kid, but it really shouldn't be considered in as a capacity figure!

Guest coachacola
Why does the athletic department keep everything a secret?  Roc doesn't announce his roster until the season's about to begin.  They won't show us any drawings of the stadium so we're all guessing and relying on rumors to determine what's going on.  I thought they added staff to handle these kinds of things?

[quote name="badndn" post="727189" timestamp="1260394704"]
Berm seating??
There's always been "Berm Seating". That's just the hills in either endzone. Good lord I hope they are not trying to sell us all on "Berm Seating" as a draw.

Sitting on the hill is nice for a kid, but it really shouldn't be considered in as a capacity figure!
[/quote]

totally agree.  Berm seating is sitting on the hill and that is why we are not getting any info on the stadium.  Hopefully they have a master plan to expand the stadium seating for the future.  I wish they would release that info so we can get excited about it.

[quote name="coachacola" post="727209" timestamp="1260396516"]
Why does the athletic department keep everything a secret?  Roc doesn't announce his roster until the season's about to begin.  They won't show us any drawings of the stadium so we're all guessing and relying on rumors to determine what's going on.  I thought they added staff to handle these kinds of things?
[/quote]

Ummmm, because they are poorly run???

They hired a guy who barely knows how to use a computer to head up the sports information department. Does that seem like a good decision?

The coaches who have success at Lamar do an amazing job of overcoming the administration there.

The administration in the AD at Lamar is one of the best in the conference, and I know that by also talking to people from schools in conf. working at other AD's. I can ask someone if they will release them to the media but I'm sure if the media asked, then they would release the drawings. I think the public doesn't really seem to inquire/care what the drawings will look like, that is probably why they are skeptical of releasing them. I also know they are hesitant to release things because the plans can/will/are always altered in some way. The money is pouring out of our pockets at Lamar.

Regarding the development of the stadium and athletic complex etc., I have counted over 40 people working at the site for the past 2 weeks. And those are just the people I can see from my car. I know they are working on the internal stuff first, plumbing, electrical, etc. You have to make it beautiful on the inside before you get it nice on the outside.

I know we're all curious, but I think athletic departments are the busiest places to work. Every time I am around ours, there is always something to do. I intern in an athletic department and there is never a sit around moment when you're not doing something. And trust me, all athletic departments are hard to get a hold of. I had to call 10 AD's yesterday, only got to speak to one. People are busy these days, and that's an understatement at Lamar.

I think LU is doing a much better job self promoting than I've seen in the past.  This is both academically and athletically.  I'm hearing many more commercials and the coaches and players are out in the community.  They are heading in the right direction. 
Yes, there is room for improvement with their internet presence and merchandise marketing. 
I know it's tough staying on top of the web site updates but I hate seeing - for instance - Men's Golf with only a 2006-2007 Media Guide listed. 
Also, it would be good if Lamar would at least be listed on ncaa.com/shop when you select all teams and see all the other SLC teams there. 
Third, it would be nice to see a Lamar University license plate listing along with the other universities: http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60&pltid=85
Fourth, it would be great to have a web based form to join the Cardinal Club and accept dues.
Also, looking at the athletic site, you wouldn't even know there is an "L" Association (Lettermen Association).  This would help prospective athletes, who may be browsing through, know we are building a tradition here.  That's one thing I noticed Georgia State has done right on their website with their "Letterwinner's Club".

The Cardinal Club and Alumni Newsletter email updates have been great!  I have been also been able to find LU merchandise online at several sites (cbssportsstore.com, etc) so I know they are making headway in the internet marketing area.  It's just happening faster in the traditional marketing areas.

I know the new logo is coming out next year, that's why they are done making any more new items, trying to get rid of all the merchandise they have now. The new logo is very similar, but it is a broader LU and the birds feather is attached on the bottom... looks good.

[quote name="mffl" post="727920" timestamp="1260507383"]
The administration in the AD at Lamar is one of the best in the conference, and I know that by also talking to people from schools in conf. working at other AD's. I can ask someone if they will release them to the media but I'm sure if the media asked, then they would release the drawings. I think the public doesn't really seem to inquire/care what the drawings will look like, that is probably why they are skeptical of releasing them. I also know they are hesitant to release things because the plans can/will/are always altered in some way. The money is pouring out of our pockets at Lamar.

Regarding the development of the stadium and athletic complex etc., I have counted over 40 people working at the site for the past 2 weeks. And those are just the people I can see from my car. I know they are working on the internal stuff first, plumbing, electrical, etc. You have to make it beautiful on the inside before you get it nice on the outside.

I know we're all curious, but I think athletic departments are the busiest places to work. Every time I am around ours, there is always something to do. I intern in an athletic department and there is never a sit around moment when you're not doing something. And trust me, all athletic departments are hard to get a hold of. I had to call 10 AD's yesterday, only got to speak to one. People are busy these days, and that's an understatement at Lamar.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have a great deal less experience in the athletics world than I do. But your opinion is duly noted.  From my decade of experience working in athletics, I know how much down time there really is. And December is one of the times that are the most dead.

It’s good to know that somebody out there thinks Lamar is run in such a great way. Because the people I know from around the SLC and other conferences always get a good laugh at how things are developing in Beaumont.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="728188" timestamp="1260555124"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=62641.msg727920#msg727920 date=1260507383]

[/quote]

Sounds like you have a great deal less experience in the athletics world than I do. But your opinion is duly noted.  From my decade of experience working in athletics, I know how much down time there really is. And December is one of the times that are the most dead.

It’s good to know that somebody out there thinks Lamar is run in such a great way. Because the people I know from around the SLC and other conferences always get a good laugh at how things are developing in Beaumont.

[/quote]

Well from interviewing 4 different schools in different athletic departments around the conference last week, they sure had a lot of nice things to say about Lamar.

Please do ask them to release the plans. I have asked a couple of times especially when the option for season tickets for Cardinal Club members came out recently. I personally wanted to see the whole seating options not just for the gold/red options presented. They said they would be releasing plans soon but that was 2 months ago. Also I did ask about the configuration of the stadium and they said there were/are plans for a bowl, but not for next year. Of course this could change also.

[quote name="mffl" post="728196" timestamp="1260555925"]
[quote author=LumberCard link=topic=62641.msg728188#msg728188 date=1260555124]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=62641.msg727920#msg727920 date=1260507383]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well from interviewing 4 different schools in different athletic departments around the conference last week, they sure had a lot of nice things to say about Lamar.
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying mffl.

In public or in interviews or conversations with someone who they are not friends with, people will say a lot of nice things about another school, but that is what they are supposed to do. It’s bad practice to go around saying bad things about “school X” when you are an official at “school Y”.

Over the years I have sat at tables with different athletics big wigs from multiple schools and they all act like they are best buddies when they are there. But away from the table they might not really care for each other. It’s just like politics in that way.  I’m not saying that everyone hates everyone and they are all putting on a show, but it happens quite a bit.

I would expect you to hear nothing but great things when you ask others about Lamar and it’s athletic department. If you are not close to the person who you are asking, they probably aren’t going to give you their “off the record” opinion or thoughts.

With all that said, I think the majority of the COACHES and their staffs are doing a GREAT job for Lamar and have done amazing jobs over the last several years of building up their programs. It’s a lot of work to be successful while you are being handcuffed by your administration the way they are at LU.

Guest coachacola
[quote]With all that said, I think the majority of the COACHES and their staffs are doing a GREAT job for Lamar and have done amazing jobs over the last several years of building up their programs. It’s a lot of work to be successful while you are being handcuffed by your administration the way they are at LU.[/quote]

I think it comes down to money.  I think Roc was hired because they didn't have the money to attract a top assistant or head coach from another school.  UTSA is paying Larry Coker $200K while LU is paying Woodard $130K, that's probably why LU didn't go after Coker.

[quote name="coachacola" post="728292" timestamp="1260564629"]
[quote]With all that said, I think the majority of the COACHES and their staffs are doing a GREAT job for Lamar and have done amazing jobs over the last several years of building up their programs. It’s a lot of work to be successful while you are being handcuffed by your administration the way they are at LU.[/quote]

I think it comes down to money.  I think Roc was hired because they didn't have the money to attract a top assistant or head coach from another school.  UTSA is paying Larry Coker $200K while LU is paying Woodard $130K, that's probably why LU didn't go after Coker.
[/quote]

Well I hope it is the besty $130k they ever spent.  In the meantime, I would love to see some artistic concept drawings of the stadium.

[quote name="coachacola" post="728292" timestamp="1260564629"]

[/quote]Or because Coker won a NC at a BCS school while Woodard never HC a DI school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami