How was your opening weekend of gun season?

ST413

We had 3 deer n 1 hog taken west of Lumberton, all were personal best, 18"8pt, 16"8pt, my 7y/o nephew got his first deer (doe) I had 9 in food plot at the same time along with a 17" 9pt, another legal buck showed at the feeder a little later, we had 6 hunters Sat morn all but 1 saw deer and IMO the 1 that didn't was in the best stand, I'm thinking the hogs have taken it over the last week... 

[quote name="bullets13" post="704661" timestamp="1257995291"]
my season opens this weekend.  it's my first time to hunt since i was 10.  i'm hoping to get a shot at something, [size=11pt][b]but last year i sat in a stand for a few times with my dad and really just enjoyed being out and watching what walked past[/b][/size].
[/quote]

That right there sounds like a great hunt. Anything else is just a bonus.

[quote name="bullets13" post="704756" timestamp="1258003360"]
my thoughts exactly, tvc.  it's hard to beat a weekend of barbecue, poker, hunting, and the great outdoors (plus satellite tv to catch some college football).
[/quote]

I think you just described heaven.  ;D

I am on a new lease around Alto and I saw a doe, my son saw a 4 point and a doe. We are the only ones on the lease and we didn't have time to get up there before opening weekend. So opening day we put up a couple of tree stands and a tripod. Threw out a little corn and saw deer that Sunday morning, I was pretty encouraged. We also put out 2 old game cams we checked them 7 days later. I reluctantly put out some Deercane at the request of my 13 year old, the doe is pawing at a spot on the ground where we poured it.

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/mabethea/PIC_0007-1.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/mabethea/PIC_0013-1.jpg[/img]

Still toooooo many acorns and way too green in W. Texas  (Menard). Deer not coming to feeders like normal but, this will all change when acorns are gone. Leaving in the morning to try my luck again. Good luck to all.  On a side note we have killed 9 hogs and seen adequate deer, just no mature bucks.

[quote name="bullets13" post="713112" timestamp="1258743593"]
i'm going back tonight to try my luck again.  i gotta new gun to play with, so that's going to make the trip good whether i see anything or not :)
[/quote]

What is the new gun/setup?

[quote name="tvc184" post="713527" timestamp="1258771840"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=62186.msg713112#msg713112 date=1258743593]
i'm going back tonight to try my luck again.  i gotta new gun to play with, so that's going to make the trip good whether i see anything or not :)
[/quote]

What is the new gun/setup?
[/quote]

i got a thompson-center encore.  i have a 25-06 barrel on it right now. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami