Weapon of Choice

Ruger M77 .25-06 (inherited from grandpa) thus name rip2506. gun loves 115gr. win supreme. Has never missed. All deer dropped in tracks including big South Tx, buck. guide was telling me the gun was too light. Tried  Hornady SST's got complete pass throughs on two deer opening weekend but deer traveled a bit 20-25yds. Gun does not group as well with SST's so my confidence is not there for longer shots.(Found out SST's group very well, it was just the shooter ME!)

Old Marlin (Ward's Westernfield) 30/30 when in the tree stand or still hunting. Love that gun. Interesting how I got it. was trying to buy a 30/30 a couple of years back on the day after Christmas and my i.d. was expired.DPS office closed for the holidays so I was headed up 62 towards Buna when a friend called and I told him the story about wanting to buy a gun, he said heck I have one I will give ya. I said where are you, he said not in town but my wife is home in Bridge City. Needless to say I hauled butt to B.C.
Gun shoots great. Under 1" at 100yds. cheap ammo 150gr win. Has alot of wear and character on the stock. Although he said he pops..  did not hunt much.

Model 70 win. in 300wby mag. doesn't get much field time although it is the best shootin of the bunch.

Rest in Peace .25-06!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I killed a doe with my 30/30 off a ladder stand the last weekend of doe season she was 30 yards away and the guns light enough that I shot freehanded and she fell over without taking a step...of course I hit her right under the ear because it was almost dark and wasn't gonna chase her.

[quote name="chronicent" post="726176" timestamp="1260264364"]
I use A .270, pretty cool, but last month i went on hunting with my friends the classical way. Bow and Arrow. Pretty cool 8)
[/quote]

Classic? You used wooden shafts, flint arrowheads, etc.?

• 5 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, of the many calibers available, is any of them really any better than the others at typical whitetail distances?

Can a .308, .260, .270, .280, .264, , 25-06, 30-06, 7mm (the several available), 8mm, etc., do a better job than any of the others?

I can see maybe a 300 Win Mag being better at extended ranges like maybe 600 yards but even that is debatable. I can understand the fairly light weight rounds like the 22-250, .223 and .204 maybe not having a lot of energy at say 200 yards.

I see people make statements like, well if I decided to kill a bull moose in Montana then I wouldn't have to buy a new gun if I had a 300 Win Mag. That may be true but unless that is something on the immediate horizon on someone's agenda, is it simply wishful thinking or an attempt to justify something in someone's mind? I guess I could go buy a Ford 3500 pickup on the assumption that maybe someday I may decide to start my own construction company and may need such a vehicle. I love guns and think if someone wants a gun, who cares why? Buy five of each for all I care.

Back to the original question, in the typical deer hunting scenario of usually 100 yards or less but almost certainly not over 200 yards, does it really matter?

For the past several years I've shot a .270.  Before that i shot a 30-06.  I also have a  7mm mag and two 30-30's. 

I will be going back to my 30-06 next year as my primary weapon.  However, I do still plan to get a 300 win mag one of these days.  I've always wanted one and I'm gonna get it.  I would also love to buy me a little compact 243 youth model. 

In the typical deer hunting scenario I don't think it matters what type of gun you use.  Shot placement is key.

[quote name="tvc184" post="741022" timestamp="1262995579"]
Out of curiosity, of the many calibers available, is any of them really any better than the others at typical whitetail distances?

Can a .308, .260, .270, .280, .264, , 25-06, 30-06, 7mm (the several available), 8mm, etc., do a better job than any of the others?

I can see maybe a 300 Win Mag being better at extended ranges like maybe 600 yards but even that is debatable. I can understand the fairly light weight rounds like the 22-250, .223 and .204 maybe not having a lot of energy at say 200 yards.

I see people make statements like, well if I decided to kill a bull moose in Montana then I wouldn't have to buy a new gun if I had a 300 Win Mag. That may be true but unless that is something on the immediate horizon on someone's agenda, is it simply wishful thinking or an attempt to justify something in someone's mind? I guess I could go buy a Ford 3500 pickup on the assumption that maybe someday I may decide to start my own construction company and may need such a vehicle. I love guns and think if someone wants a gun, who cares why? Buy five of each for all I care.

[b]Back to the original question, in the typical deer hunting scenario of usually 100 yards or less but almost certainly not over 200 yards, does it really matter?[/b]
[/quote]

I honestly don't think it matters with the calibers you mentioned. I've killed deer with guns from 22-250 up to my 300 mag.

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="741701" timestamp="1263140994"]
I've heard a lot of people say they've had to track deer long ways after hitting them good with a .243 what do you'll think about that?
[/quote]

I don't think they hit them that good.  Take out both lungs, which a .243 will easily do, and they aren't going far.  I guess maybe it depends on what they consider a "long ways".  Is 40-50 yards a long ways?

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="741701" timestamp="1263140994"]
I've heard a lot of people say they've had to track deer long ways after hitting them good with a .243 what do you'll think about that?
[/quote]

I've watched my boys drop 2 does, 1 8pt, and 1 huge hog this year with a 243.  They all dropped on sight and had  huge holes in them.

The 243 is singlehandedly the best gun ever made for hunting in my opinion.  The one my boys shoot is a Remington Mowhawk 243 bolt action youth model. It is 35 inches long and is deadly deadly deadly.  I wouldn't take $1000.00 for it

[quote name="westend1" post="741712" timestamp="1263142265"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=61867.msg741701#msg741701 date=1263140994]
[/quote]

I don't think they hit them that good.   Take out both lungs, which a .243 will easily do, and they aren't going far.  I guess maybe it depends on what they consider a "long ways".   Is 40-50 yards a long ways?
[/quote]

idk you know how people (especially hunters and fishermen) talk lol

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="741714" timestamp="1263142612"]
Lol sounds like your raising sharp shooters whered they shoot the hog head or body?
[/quote]

Shot the hog in the neck way up high (it was getting dark).  Broke its spine.  

If you have a kid hunting, you cannot go wrong with the 243.  That little youth model that my boys shoot with is very addictive to carry around.  I've carried it many times just by myself.  Its so short and light.

The .243 is a great whitetail weapon. Any notion that somehow you have to track them farther with that round than others is ludicrous. I was reading on a hunting forum a couple of weeks ago where one guy said that the longest that he tracked a deer and eventually lost it was a hit with a 300 Win Mag.

There are no magic bullets. Put it through the heart and/or lungs and they will do down. That is a huge target for a rifle. If you hit them only in the shoulder or guts then it won't matter much which round you missed with.

The last two years, the only deer that I have shot with a rifle with 100% success was with a .223. Both shots were quartering away and I got complete pass throughs a lots of blood. Of course it really didn't matter because they went 30 yards or less. Both were double lung hits with large exit wounds. Of course, I have people that tell me that you can't do that with a .223.

the problem with a some hunters is that they think you can hit a deer anywhere with one of the bigger guns and it will go down.  Well they end up getting sloppy and don't watch their shot placement.  I don't care what you shoot you still have to take care of where you shoot. 

Even when Gunny Hathcock was shooting a .50 cal or 300 win mag in Vietnam he still aimed for the center of the chest. 

[quote name="bullets13" post="741839" timestamp="1263163521"]
i just started hunting this year for the 1st time in 15 years, and i used a TC 25-06.  i didn't take any shots at game this year, but i love the way the gun shoots.
[/quote]

The TC's are interesting and I wouldn't mind having one. They are probably some of the most well crafted guns on the market.

I just wish someone would donate it. I can't bring my self to spending as much money on one gun as I can buy 3 different Remington 700's for.

[quote name="westend1" post="741857" timestamp="1263166091"]
.25-06 is a great round for all around hunting.   Plenty of range and will knockdown anything you are going to see here in Texas.
[/quote]

Really?? 

I've never shot one but I hadn't heard much good about it.  Just heard it was a fast flat shooting gun. 

Would it be a good youth gun? 

[quote name="bearbryant" post="742006" timestamp="1263176472"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=61867.msg741857#msg741857 date=1263166091]
.25-06 is a great round for all around hunting.   Plenty of range and will knockdown anything you are going to see here in Texas.
[/quote]

Really?? 

I've never shot one but I hadn't heard much good about it.  Just heard it was a fast flat shooting gun. 

Would it be a good youth gun? 
[/quote]

Maybe a little stout for a young kid, but if you are talking 14 or older, it would be fine.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83