Greatest...

Guest Kelly Football

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1987 West Orange-Stark vs. Jasper. mustangs won the game 3-0. it was a defensive battle' date=' and one for the ages.[/quote']

Yeah and the field goal bounced off the cross bar too. At least I think it did.

Actually I think the 86 game in the playoffs was more rememberable since it likely was the two best teams in the state squaring off.

no question about it, jasper and wos were the two best teams in 4A in 1986. words can't describe what kind of battles those games were. the intensity in the air was so thick you could have cut it with knife. you could feel how both sides were nervous, because one little mistake would cost you the game.

• 6 months later...

Too many to think about... Being as young as I am, I will give you a couple of my Nederland games...

2000 - Nederland 10 @ WO-S 21

"That gave WO-S a 14-10 lead but Nederland came back with a drive from its 48 to the (WO-S) 17. That set up the play that will be the source of many conversations in Mid-County for awhile." - PA News

(I think we all know what play this is.) Laterals anyone???

2000 - Nederland 21 vs. PN-G 19   

PN-G missed a field goal with 12 seconds to play that was wide right...

2000 - Nederland 0 vs. Bay City 7  - I still cringe when I think about this game.

-Replays made it look as if the ball crossed the plane of the goal line but a side judge on Howard Seitzman's crew emphatically ruled that Ramoin's knee landed short of the goal line by inches.

-Draw your own conclusions but this was a very iffy call on which a season had to end. Especially since the Bulldogs dominated the stats. You didn't think it would be any other way, did you? Nederland won all the numbers games, except the score; 12-6 in first downs, 170-75 rushing yards, 62-28 passing yards, and 28:11-19:49 possession time.

-Barbay felt the Bulldogs were robbed -- a sentiment shared by many teammates in an emotional locker room.

"I justed wanted him (Ramoin) to catch the ball," said Barbay (7 of 15 for 62 yards). "He caught it and he got in.

2001-Nederland 35 vs. WO-S 0 (Not really a great game, but I had to add it)

'Nuff Said

Obviously these games are only Nederland games, but at any rate, they are very memorable....

Usually only happens with stuff like 9/11, but I can remember exactly where I was in the dome when Ramoin got into the endzone! My jaw dropped and I am pretty sure I cried a tear of anger when they ruled him down......oh yeah and I dropped my ice cream cause I couldnt believe what had happened....

Two greatest games I remember for my Silsbee Tigers.......

Silsbee vs Nederland '93  It was a see-saw battle with Silsbee's Jay McGuire getting 424 rushing yards plus a ton in special teams.  Silsbee won.

Silsbee vs Jasper '89  Jasper came in #2 in the state and left with a loss.

• 1 month later...

Two greatest games I remember for my Silsbee Tigers.......

Silsbee vs Nederland '93  It was a see-saw battle with Silsbee's Jay McGuire getting 424 rushing yards plus a ton in special teams.  Silsbee won.

Silsbee vs Jasper '89   Jasper came in #2 in the state and left with a loss.

Silsbee vs Marlin 1977 Tigers down by 17 at halftime came back to win in final minute

Silsbee vs Jasper 04    Tigers win in overtime on goal line stand 29-28

Silsbee vs WOS  1993  Jay McGuire intercepted a pitchout as WOS was driving for the win.

You guys on this site have NO SENSE of history of high school  football in this area.  In the early 70's this was the football capitol of the world with many players in the NFL coming from the Beaumont area.  Look at all the state championship appearances from this area in the 70's and early 80's.  Almost every other year the district champ from this area made it to state.  Not the case now...

As for me...

The 1980 TJ PNG game at the reservation is tops...

TJ won 14 - 13.  16,000 at the Reservation.  With only one team making the playoffs this was a monstrous game.  If TJ losses that game, the legacy of Dodge may not happen...

Also...

I wasn't at the game, but in 1978 when Vidor finally ended PNG's 4 year streak of not lossing a district game, that had to be huge....

The 4 year undefeated streak in our district I think is an all time record..

During my senior year (not a good game for PNG fans)...

In 1984 Nederland finally ended their 19 year lossing drought against PNG.

For Nederland fans this should be close to #1.

Pretty sad for a PNG grad that my top three are all PNG losses...

I don't know how significant the game was but does anyone remember the two-day affair played by WOS and BC?  Rain and lightning caused the game to be stopped and finished the next day.  BC had the Mighty Mustangs on the ropes and was on the verge of revenging all of those tail-whippin's over the years when the game was stopped.  BC came up on the short end the next day.  That was probably the best fourth place team ever to come out of that district.

Les Johnson was the coach here - glad he's gone.  Took the best group of athletes to come through here in 20 years and could not get out of the District!

I don't know how significant the game was but does anyone remember the two-day affair played by WOS and BC?  Rain and lightning caused the game to be stopped and finished the next day.  BC had the Mighty Mustangs on the ropes and was on the verge of revenging all of those tail-whippin's over the years when the game was stopped.  BC came up on the short end the next day.  That was probably the best fourth place team ever to come out of that district.

Les Johnson was the coach here - glad he's gone.  Took the best group of athletes to come through here in 20 years and could not get out of the District!

I somewhat remember that game. ;)

I would have to say the WO-S vs. Jasper game (3-0) and the Ozen vs. PNG game (due to the issues with the clock).  Both memorable and close, but for two different reasons.  I don't know which would have hurt more...Jasper losing a hard-fought game or the HUGE delay closing out of the Ozen-PNG game? :'( 

The 1998 PNG vs WO-S game in Orange.

Dustin Longs junior season. PNG without a timeout remaining completes a pass to the WO-S 1 yd line down trailing by less than a TD and while trying to line up the clock expires.

Remarkable ballgame. Im sure Coop and the other WO-S guys remember that one.

The 1998 PNG vs WO-S game in Orange.

Dustin Longs junior season. PNG without a timeout remaining completes a pass to the WO-S 1 yd line down trailing by less than a TD and while trying to line up the clock expires.

Remarkable ballgame. Im sure Coop and the other WO-S guys remember that one.

Yep, I played in that game. Jermaine Hope layed on Cody Coburn I believe on about the half yard line. That was probably one of the most nerve racking games I was a part of. Talk about great football!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83