Let's respect our Coaches not Bash them

Guest pirates

Guest pirates

We can all agree that some coaches are better than others.  Some also work harder than others.  But is someone really a coaching genius?  It's funny how the public can think very highly of a coach but as soon as things go south (losing games)  it's time to get rid of them.

You have guys who come up with great ideas, new concepts, different drills, new plays, and are pretty good at motivating athletes.   Today in the coaching profession it's all about ‘what have you done lately’?

Sometimes you can do everything possible to help your team be successful but even that isn't enough to win. Coaches will get fired and resign all the time; but it all boils down to wins and losses.

All coaches have different ways to do things.  Different ways they deal with problems, the way they run their team and the way they handle themselves towards others.

The one thing a coach has control of is their ability to keep improving, doing their very best and doing what's best for their athletes.

Imagine life as a game in which you juggle in the air five balls named work, family, health, friends and spirit.  As you endeavor to keep them all in the air, you will soon realize work is a rubber ball, and if you drop it, it will bounce back.

The other four balls, however, family, health, friends and spirit are made of glass.  Drop one of them, and the ball is irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered, never to be the same.

I will remember this statement for the rest of my life, made by my High School Coach, Philip Brown;

“We as coaches are judged, paid and remembered by how 16, 17 and 18 year old kids conduct themselves on the fieldâ€

A little background on Coach Brown,

Graduated High School from Tenaha.

Graduated from Steven F. Austin University.

First High School coaching job at Little Cypress.

Moved to Houston, Head Football Coach and AD for over 30 years at Houston Smiley.

Moved to Vidor, Head Football Coach and AD, 1978 till 1986.

Coaches don't  expect "respect" just because the are coaches.  They earn it.  And I don't mean earn it with wins verses losses.  If they show good character, and teach the kids not only sports, but sportsmanship as well, they earn my respect every time, regardless of the number of wins they get.  I hate to see a good person get trashed because his team can't live up to the communities' expectations.  In high school, you have to play with what you have, and sometimes the cupboard is a little bare.

“We as coaches are judged, paid and remembered by how 16, 17 and 18 year old kids conduct themselves on the fieldâ€

Thank you for sharing this quote, but I also think that the way a coach conducts himself on the sidelines is also something people remember.

If a coach grabs a kid and shakes him because he is upset he missed a play.... a coach should remember they are only 16,17 and 18 year olds. They are not NFL players. Kids will make mistakes..

If a coach manhandles, cusses at and shames a kid , how will that kid remember that coach ? His football experience ? How will the parents in the stands feel ?

How could anyone respect a coach who behaves in such a manner ?

Coaches don't  expect "respect" just because the are coaches.   They earn it.  And I don't mean earn it with wins verses losses.  If they show good character, and teach the kids not only sports, but sportsmanship as well, they earn my respect every time, regardless of the number of wins they get.   I hate to see a good person get trashed because his team can't live up to the communities' expectations.  In high school, you have to play with what you have, and sometimes the cupboard is a little bare.

exactly right

Coaches don't  expect "respect" just because the are coaches.   They earn it.  And I don't mean earn it with wins verses losses.  If they show good character, and teach the kids not only sports, but sportsmanship as well, they earn my respect every time, regardless of the number of wins they get.   I hate to see a good person get trashed because his team can't live up to the communities' expectations.  In high school, you have to play with what you have, and sometimes the cupboard is a little bare.

Some good points here!

Guest bleed orange

Thank you for sharing this quote, but I also think that the way a coach conducts himself on the sidelines is also something people remember.

If a coach grabs a kid and shakes him because he is upset he missed a play.... a coach should remember they are only 16,17 and 18 year olds. They are not NFL players. Kids will make mistakes..

If a coach manhandles, cusses at and shames a kid , how will that kid remember that coach ? His football experience ? How will the parents in the stands feel ?

None of the coaches back in my day could coach now. ;D

not even the ones from ymca youth football....plus we had much better manners than most kids today. maybe that's why???

not even the ones from ymca youth football....plus we had much better manners than most kids today. maybe that's why???

Maybe our Dads taught us manners better than our kids dads did. :o :-\

speak for yourself...mine are fine...notice i said MOST kids.

lol every parent says that about their kid, and sometimes in that lies the problem,

Nothing personal-- besides most parents would say speak for ones self  that their kids are fine.  My point is that its todays parents that are quick to the rescue of the kid being confronted by a coach --not knowing all  if any of the details. I agree that coaches used to be able to fuss, chew, grab a face mask, and bench a kid for making a costly mistake.  But today, the parents will be at the school on 8:00 Monday threatening action against this awful abuse against little Johnny with that lawyer trump card.

As far as me saying my kids are fine---I yield to them--they are now responsible to speak for themselves by their actions and responses to social situations.  I could only take them so far. 

please lets not get into the "back in my day" crap, it really annoys me, lets just stick to responding to the original post here

that being said, great post here pirates, makes alot of sense and seems very well thought out

Who made you moderator? I have never used words like crap and annoy to diffuse a situation. 

lol-- :o

please lets not get into the "back in my day" crap, it really annoys me, lets just stick to responding to the original post here

that being said, great post here pirates, makes alot of sense and seems very well thought out

Who made you moderator? I have never used words like crap and annoy to diffuse a situation. 

lol-- :o

i'm not trying to moderate, simply giving my oppinion

Perhaps the same consideation for the players also.

But as far as characters such as that tar'd n feathered mascot in a purple leotard running around in circles wearing that oversized headdress---well that ought to be fair game----- ;D

I's justa wunderin' why that thar mascot is so tar'd and also, what's his feather got to do with it wuz he a mascot too. If he is running around in his longhandle underwars maybe his maw orta git him some clothes. From what I seen, if he didn't hop around like a fool so much, maybe he wouldn't be so tar'd.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83