BCLL dream of Williamsport falls short

BCLL dream of Williamsport falls short

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

The Comeback Kids of Cardinal Country could not muster another rally Thursday.

This time it was the Texas West All-Stars out of San Antonio who came from behind and eliminated the dreams of the Bridge City Little League All-Stars, 6-4, in Waco.

Texas West is now headed to Williamsport, Penn. and the Little League World Series.

Steven Cardone came in relief on the hill and also had a home run in the top of sixth to preserve the win.

Cardone pitched four innings and did not allow a run on one hit with five strike outs.

“Cardone — he was lights out,†BCLL Manager Ronnie Shugart said. “All you can do is tip your hat to the kid. He did his job and he was the difference in the game.â€

BCLL was up 4-2 until the top of the fifth when Texas West decided it would be their night to rally.

Nick Smisek led off with a walk and took second and third when Drew Brooks singled to right.

The single drove BCLL starting pitcher Chase Shugart out of the game due to the 85-pitch limit.

Chase Rutledge came in to pitch for Bridge City and Travis Daves welcomed the new pitcher with a RBI double to right to make it 4-3 BCLL.

Rutledge then got two quick outs before Taylor Scarborough ripped a two-run double to center field to make it 5-4 Texas West.

Cardone added his home run in the top of the sixth to pad the lead and crush the hopes of the game’s feel-good story.

Cardone got BCLL out in order in the bottom of the sixth.

“It was one heck of a summer,†Shugart said. “I would not trade a moment for anything. The crowd was unbelievable. I could not imagine a major league game being more exciting for us. I am so proud of the guys. They absolutely have no reason to hang their heads.â€

Texas West took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when Daves blasted a home run to center field.

It did not take BCLL long to respond and grab the lead right back.

BCLL scored four runs in the bottom of the first as Jonah Watts drove in the team’s first run of the game on a RBI single to center.

The single scored Chase Shugart who had reached on a fielder’s choice.

Rutledge then stepped to the plate with two runners on base and smacked a three-run homer to left to make it 4-1.

The home run plated Blake Pruett, who had doubled, and Watts.

Guest Orangeboy

Congrats on a great year fellas. I know its tuff for you guys right now, but you did things most kids only can dream of doing. Best of luck on your continued success.

Does anyone knows when the BC team should arrive home?  It will be only proper to receive them as our little heroes.  They put an awesome show last night on national tv.  I believe all of our SE Texas counties are extremely proud of them.  We want to be there for them. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124