15,000 students have signed up for classes

UNLV

The Recession has a great deal to do with this. Kids want to leave and go to Sam, or UT, or A&M, or SFA. They, nor their parents can no longer afford the kids going away. Trust me, 18 yr old kids are not thrilled living under their parent's roof. They want to spread their wings and who can blame them.....

The Recession has a great deal to do with this. Kids want to leave and go to Sam, or UT, or A&M, or SFA. They, nor their parents can no longer afford the kids going away. Trust me, 18 yr old kids are not thrilled living under their parent's roof. They want to spread their wings and who can blame them.....

I am 18 years old and I have probably 50+ friends who are THRILLED about living under their parents roof, paying no rent, and are excited about getting a good education and having a good college experience at Lamar (myself included). Yes it's true that a lot of kids come back to Lamar after failing out of a bigger school or not doing well but the majority of people I know are staying at Lamar because it's a lot more attractive of a school than it used to be.

I don't know one person that isn't going to A&M, UT, Sam, or SFA because of the recession. There is so much in grants and financial aid that it's not that hard to get loans and pay them off. If the recession is really affecting their families, than they are not going to college.

And keep in mind I just graduated with a class of over 500 kids.

i was thinking the same thing

Guest coachacola

In the past Lamar's enrollment has generally followed the population changes of the area.  When the economy's good and people are moving to SETX then LU's enrollment goes up.  Lamar's enrollment has been trending up this decade and the local economy has only been affected by the recession the last year.  The long distance master's program has really helped enrollment, but all the capital improvements around campus academic improvements have helped enrollment on the Beaumont campus and that will continue to increase, recession or not.

I can't understand why anyone at 18 yrs old would want to stay home? Man, times have changed.

There is nothing wrong with Lamar, really there isn't. I was in grad school in Ft Worth before I found that out. The worst critics of Lamar have been alumni and the people in this area.

I still think the Recession has something to do with the increase.

I can't understand why anyone at 18 yrs old would want to stay home? Man, times have changed.

Because we realize what good opportunities are here? And we enjoy supporting our home town school that our parents went to.

Free rent, free food, stay close to friends and family, get a great education... What more could you want?

I did leave for a year, and I'm glad I did... But it made me realize that the things listed above meant much more than just getting away...

Guest coachacola

Free rent, free food, stay close to friends and family, get a great education... What more could you want?

Free rent, free food.....My Pop would call that being "a ^%$% bum."

It's a better deal for the parents than paying for room and board at some university out of town. I know, I'm sending one of my kids to Texas Tech this fall.

There is nothing wrong with Lamar, really there isn't. I was in grad school in Ft Worth before I found that out. The worst critics of Lamar have been alumni and the people in this area.

I still think the Recession has something to do with the increase.

times have changed.lamars rep continues to get better and better.you hear very little negative talk  about lamar anymore.

Free rent, free food.....My Pop would call that being "a ^%$% bum."

You can call me a bum, but most people who take advantage of this offer are normally called "a $#^% genius".

I am 18 years old and I have probably 50+ friends who are THRILLED about living under their parents roof, paying no rent, and are excited about getting a good education and having a good college experience at Lamar (myself included). Yes it's true that a lot of kids come back to Lamar after failing out of a bigger school or not doing well but the majority of people I know are staying at Lamar because it's a lot more attractive of a school than it used to be.

I don't know one person that isn't going to A&M, UT, Sam, or SFA because of the recession. There is so much in grants and financial aid that it's not that hard to get loans and pay them off. If the recession is really affecting their families, than they are not going to college.

And keep in mind I just graduated with a class of over 500 kids.

im not calling you a liar but i just feel it hard to believe that 50 plus kids are 'thrilled' about staying home for college. i think its human nature for an 18 year old to leave the home....its when a person really discovers what kind of person they are and wants to break the leash from the parents.  i have an 18 year old cousin and all their friends are flocking from houston to go to big texas schools and it seems they are all pretty excited...

I might be a liar... because I think there are more than 50 kids.

All I have to say is look at West Brook High School's 2009 graduating class and look where there future school is.. over half who are attending Lamar are excited about. That's probably closer to 75.

Okay, from a college student's standpoint who isn't attending Lamar, there are several attractive reasons people choose Lamar. Very close to home, great engineering program, great nursing program, football coming back, solid athletics all the way around, growing campus, new facilities, good education, cheap prices, and close to friends. I know a lot of people going to Lamar that are happy about going.

Okay, from a college student's standpoint who isn't attending Lamar, there are several attractive reasons people choose Lamar. Very close to home, great engineering program, great nursing program, football coming back, solid athletics all the way around, growing campus, new facilities, good education, cheap prices, and close to friends. I know a lot of people going to Lamar that are happy about going.

This is not an attack on LU. I am not understanding staying home at 18 yrs old. LU however needs to recruit more kids from the Dallas, Austin, San Antonio areas. They also need to stop taking the local kids for granted... I just can't understand living at home. I really can't. Live in the dorms, get an apartment to live in. Make new friends. Living away from home teaches responsibility like you wouldn't believe. If you are on your on, and when you earn your degree, it is that much sweeter.

In the 70s and 80s the local schools hired other college graduates over Lamar grads. The most notorious was BISD. If you wanted a Master's in those days, they wanted their teachers/future administrators to go to UH or McNeese or USL. They were hiring Sam and SFA and East Texas State people over LU grads. They said " We have too many Lamar grads." " We want different education philosophies."  I had to go to Ft Worth to find a job. They hired me in a heartbeat. At the time, they loved Lamar grads in the DFW area. ( They still do.) I know there is now a shortage of teachers in areas such as math and they are glad to have Lamar math people, but there are still people who want graduates other than Lamar alumni in this area. My graduate work from a DFW institution is probably the only reason why I was able to move back home. They just didn't want another LU degree, and told me so.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest coachacola

I read an article in the Examiner yesterday and it said that LU was expecting a 400 or 500 drop in enrollment because of the new higher admission standards, instead they have about 1000 more students.  They are turning fields into parking lots and they even discussed building a parking garage.  They are about to start on some new dorms so I think they are getting more students from around the state.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124