Broncos’ toughness tested during practice

Broncos’ toughness tested during practice

By JASON FOCHTMAN

Updated: 08.10.09

As the second day of the Dayton Bronco’s football practice heated up along with the temperature, one aspect remained constant.

The noise - or the relatively lack of - from the players aside from the occasional cheering on of teammates.

While players’ energy was high as they went from station to station on the practice fields at Dayton High School, they also displayed a quiet focus as they went about their drills.

During the first week of practice, the team was able to end each day with the same mental toughness they displayed at the beginning, said Jeff Nations, offensive coordinator for the Dayton Broncos.

“That’s always a good sign,†Nations said. “We’re not straining the kids too hard and they’re getting to where they need to be and not blowing assignments.â€

He added, “When you’re doing that, you’re getting mentally ready to be where you want to be, which is in week 16. That’s our kids focus.â€

Nations said the coaching staff asks each player to do mental reps, even if they are not in the actual drill during that run, to make sure they know how to execute their job.

In addition to getting players back in shape, the goal for the first week of practice was to have about 95 percent of the offense in, Nations said on Tuesday, August 4.

“We want to be to where we can play a game on Saturday offensively, and I think we’ll be pretty close,†Nations said.

On the defensive side, Nations said he has been impressed with the speed and technique of the defensive players.

“Defense is where we’re going to hang our hat,†Nations said. “We take no off plays of defense; those guys know that and they go hard every time.â€

During practice, former Bronco quarterback Cody Green stopped by to pay a visit to the team and even to help out with a couple of passing drills.

Green, who will soon be playing for Nebraska, said the team looked really good in their first few practices, especially considering the number of seniors that left.

“But hey, you come back and you forget how many people have been playing since they were sophomores,†Green said.

The former Bronco said he felt it was important to come to practice and help out.

“It’s always good to come back and help out with the younger guys,†Green said. “The older guys that I looked up to came back and helped me so it’s always good to just give back to what you came out of.â€

Nations said the last half of two-a-days will really test the team both physically and mentally.

“The biggest thing we want to find our right now is how mentally tough we are,†Nations said. “We’ll find this out, especially when we go against West Orange.â€

Bronco head coach Jerry Stewart declined to be interviewed for this article. Access to interview current players was also declined.

3309dayton_practice.jpg

Logan Sullivan, left, escapes Joe Duff and Chance McCormack, far right, during the second day of football practice, August 4, at Dayton High School.

Wow, Coach Stewart wouldn't even grant an interview for a local newspaper article...I can understand wanting to protect your players from that, but we are still talking "highschool football" here aren't we.....Last time I checked the locals were still paying the salaries... Sheeeeesh!

Something tells me he was probably just busy and did not have time to discuss things with the guy, it is after all a busy time of year and I can tell you Stewart will always do his part to make sure the kids in his program are promoted!

I'll be out there at the stadium this evening to watch the broncos.hope they practice today lol. i hope so anyways. looking forward to seeing them ;D ;D arew they going to be practicing today or does anyone know? going to ride out that way this evening anyways. hope they are. was tied up all day yesterday.

If thats the case, then I understand, and I agree Coach Stewarts a good guy, and him not talking to paper just didn't sound right. I just hope we never get to the point where highschool athletics is like some of the colleges or pros...It should be about the kids and for the kids....and I agree this is a busy time of the year and coaches get busy taking care of business..Anyway good luck to Dayton this year, should be another wild ride.....

Busy as he is he took the time to walk over to about 13 bronco faithful and tell us some good things we were delighted to hear.He shook hands and praised alot of the players and while laughing he said we have a few struggling a bit w/the heat but they just keep hitting it hard.He said a few have put on as much as 30 lbs in the off season but I like what I see-we have a front 3 that's gonna take 5 to block so somebody's gonna make some plays with one big smile.As he was about to leave he remarked about how good the field looked and said I'll be glad to see the scoreboard lit up so we can put  alot of points on it.Next he said now you're gonna see some good stuff smiling as he called them to one end and rearranged the players.Talk about class.I'm so excited I will drive the 30 miles to go watch again and dream I would loved to have played under his guidance.It's gonna be a fun year with a few new wrinkles.

I'll be out there at the stadium this evening to watch the broncos.hope they practice today lol. i hope so anyways. looking forward to seeing them ;D ;D arew they going to be practicing today or does anyone know? going to ride out that way this evening anyways. hope they are. was tied up all day yesterday.

they are practicing. go check em out. they should be rolling by 6:30 I would bet.

I'll sure be there today. hope to see ya there. "GO BRONCOS"

they are practicing. go check em out. they should be rolling by 6:30 I would bet.

Wow, Coach Stewart wouldn't even grant an interview for a local newspaper article...I can understand wanting to protect your players from that, but we are still talking "highschool football" here aren't we.....Last time I checked the locals were still paying the salaries... Sheeeeesh!

Maybe you should think before popping off.  Come to the stadium and see a real football team.  I even bet coach stewart would let you voice your concerns about what he should and should not do.  Sheeeeeeesh another outsider putting his foot in his mouth.

Not popping of Texans, just repeating what the article said, coached refused to talk. I hope all the coaches in the area can find a little time to talk to a newspaper thats coming out to do astory on their team. If you got a problem with tha too bad..Take chill pill little man..

Dude they have an agenda and they did that on purpose!!!

Not popping of Texans, just repeating what the article said, coached refused to talk. I hope all the coaches in the area can find a little time to talk to a newspaper thats coming out to do astory on their team. If you got a problem with tha too bad..Take chill pill little man..

Maybe if yall win a game or 2 the paper might come to the hill, little boy

Texans, Is that vein i see stickin out the side of your neck..Settle down, now...Last time I checked, let's see was that 2 or 3 State Championship trophies in the trophy case at BH..Whether BH wins 2 or 10 games a year the papers will be there and I'm sure the coaches will talk to them. Hey come down off yur high hoss lil man, their are other schools in the state that play football too.

And like I said earlier, Let me repeat again for Texans, If the newspaper has an agenda, then more power to Stewart for not talking...thats his right! .Plain enough for ya.......

Fever 99-How did you know my horse 's name was little man?I got my marine corps nickname during Tet,my squad leader was Tex.Back to the post 13 straight playoff years under Stewart @ Dayton qualifies him to choose who to confer with-the drug store cowboys of old won't run his show.Tell us about your teams playoffs in the past 13 yrs.

Semper Fi, Jarhead.. I got out in 1975....So Texans need to watch this little boy talk..lol.. I have shoes older than him I'm sure....Hey, BH is on it way back up... we've missed the playoffs the last two years, but have been there, hmm, I'll have to drive by the stadium and count of the numbers....We're gonna show up this year anyway... lol

Semper Fi, Jarhead.. I got out in 1975....So Texans need to watch this little boy talk..lol.. I have shoes older than him I'm sure....Hey, BH is on it way back up... we've missed the playoffs the last two years, but have been there, hmm, I'll have to drive by the stadium and count of the numbers....We're gonna show up this year anyway... lol

I'm telling ya Texans knows how to whoop some butt!!!!

I didnt realize since we are talking history, that dayton has won more playoff games in the last 2 years 9, than the hill has won in the last 31 years 8.  But fever you are right 32 years ago yall actually won a few games in the playoffs.

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt realize since we are talking history, that dayton has won more playoff games in the last 2 years 9, than the hill has won in the last 31 years 8.  But fever you are right 32 years ago yall actually won a few games in the playoffs.

Yeah, but our one-act play cast can beat your one-act play cast  ;D

Good luck to the Broncos this year, except for one friday nite.

Texans, You're seriously not going to try and compare BH and Daytons football throughout the years.. 33 playoff appearances for the Hill. Ranked #2 in SETX schools..Now I will give it to you guys, Stewarts on a heck of a run, and probaly gonna have another stellar season,......but if you keep throwing out things you know just ain't so, we're gonna have to move you to the Cheerleader forum. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami