**WEEK 2 SETXSPORTS RANKINGS**

jdawg03

Ok someone took of the post that I agreed to. There is way too many teams on this list that have a losing record..... This is a weak poll...... Some great teams left of this poll and some good teams that should be higher and some not so good teams that should fall off. Just my 2 cents take it for what you want....

Could someone please explain how a 0-3 team ( Ozen ) can be in the top ten of your ranking system :shock: I'm sure there's got to be a very logical explaination for this :lol:

With the ranking system, it is not that difficult. The voting (ranking system) is done based on an opinion on who can beat who, not record. This is especially true during the early season when teams are playing such a wide spectrum of other teams.

Some schools are playing very good 4A or 5A schools but losing while others in the same district are playing 3A schools that may not be so good but getting a win.

Dayton is ranked above Lumberton also and they are only 1-2. I would bet that when they open district play in two weeks, Dayton will be favored to beat Lumberton. Dayton at 1-2 will be better than Lumberton who will likely be 3-0 in the eyes of most people ("most people" being defined as anyone living outside of Lumberton).

In the opinion of the majority of the setxsports.com voters, Ozen will beat Lumberton when they play. It is as simple as that, so they are ranked higher.

Only the "Ocho" would have a team that was the victim of a 35-0 blowout as their number 1 team. QB or no QB, if this teams success is that dependent on one player, then they are not a number 1 team. I think this poll has some serious issues.

Of course, polls don't amount to anything more than material to talk about, but I couldn't resist. :D

Guest GoStangs

The poll is based on comparing actutal strength of teams (how would WB fare if they played Newton, for example) rather than relative strength of teams (how strong is WB vs. their competition compared to how strong Newton is compared to their competition). WB lost to a very strong 5A school that would've probably pasted any team in the area, so on an actual strength poll, you can't hold that loss against them -- WB could still line up and beat all or most of the teams from around here. In a relative strength poll, where you decide who the top "pound for pound" team is, WB would have fell dramatically.

First off BH breaks into the top 10! kudos for reconizing this team. There is one comment that make no sense though (See Below)

"The Eagles have definitely been impressive this season, but are lower in the poll because of their relatively weak strength of schedule in comparison to the other 4a teams."

BH has played (According to which poll you look at) #20 Wharton #9 Jasper & #5 Bellville in 3A and remain undefeated and all games were won by a pretty good margin. Just because these teams are 3A doesn't mean they are weaker than 4A's. By the lofty power ranking that BH recieved below would tell me that the teams we have played are not "weak".

36. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill (III-4A) (3-0-0) (0-0-0) 70.46

The poll is based on comparing actutal strength of teams (how would WB fare if they played Newton' date=' for example) rather than relative strength of teams (how strong is WB vs. their competition compared to how strong Newton is compared to their competition). WB lost to a very strong 5A school that would've probably pasted any team in the area, so on an actual strength poll, you can't hold that loss against them -- WB could still line up and beat all or most of the teams from around here. In a relative strength poll, where you decide who the top "pound for pound" team is, WB would have fell dramatically.[/quote']So what you are saying is that 2a and 3a schools won't be at the top.....ever. I don'

t care how good Newton is, was or will be, they could never beat PA. This poll is worse than Dave Cambells.

So let me get this straight, since WB got BEAT by a very powerful 5A team, they deserve #1 in your ranking. :shock: If anything, WO-S should be #1 since they have beat 3 4A TEAMS. Newton could probably beat Ozen and you have Ozen, 0-3 mind you, in your top ten. Sounds more like a popularity poll than a actual who is top ten in the area. I could name at least six other teams more deserving than Ozen and WB!!!

I have said it before and will say it again...you can put as much stock as you want into the top 25. Look at the classification rankings. Thats is why we do this, so we can gauge how strong all the teams are in classifications. There is no way to have a legitimate regional poll, just based off of win loss records. Sure we could put all the teams who are undefeated ahead of the ones who have lost, but what is the point in that. Do you really think a 2a school can beat West Brook? I hope not. The voters are instructed to vote based off of who they think could beat who. This isnt like the AP poll where all the teams being voted on are in one classification. These teams range from 1a-5a.

"The Eagles have definitely been impressive this season' date=' but are lower in the poll because of their relatively weak strength of schedule in comparison to the other 4a teams."

[/quote']

In comparison to the teams ahead of them in the poll, their schedule is weaker. Go back and look at the teams all of the top 7 have played. The only exception I see is Newton, where they may be on about the same schedule level as BH. The Eagles are not in 3a anymore, and while that would be considered a tough schedule for a 3a team, the fact of the matter is, its not all that tough for a 4a team. Thats not taking anything away from BH, thats just the reasoning of why there not higher in this poll as of yet. If they keep winning, they will keep moving up!

So let me get this straight' date=' since WB got BEAT by a very powerful 5A team, they deserve #1 in your ranking..........................I could name at least six other teams more deserving than Ozen and WB!!![/quote']

It is not a matter of deserving to be #1, it is an opinion. That is all that polls are.

Your opinion is that at least six other teams should rank above Ozen & WB. I bet one of them is Lumberton right?

If Lumberton had played the same teams that Ozen played, they would very likely be 0-3 right now. If Ozen had played New Caney and BC, they would very likely be 2-0 right now and probably by a larger point spread than Lumberton had. The difference in the 0-3 record of Ozen and the 2-0 record of Lumberton is the teams that they played.

That is the opinion of a large majority of the voters in the poll. I concur with their opinion. If Lumberton starts beating some of those teams above them, then they will go up in the polls. Until then they will not get a lot of respect beating what is seen as weaker teams and by fairly close scores.

Congratulations for Lumberton on a good start in turning around the program. They have the team pumped up and the fans behind them. They are getting congratulations from all over this area from fans of other schools for getting a good start and for heading in the right direction. That however, doesn't mean that people think that Lumberton is now the team to beat in the Golden Triangle except for Lumberton fans. Time will tell who is correct. Either way, all polls are just opinions for the purpose of conversation and there are always people that think their team is not ranked high enough.

through 2 weeks of the new poll...

we have had 12 games that consisted of two teams in the poll...

only twice out of the 12 games has a team won that was ranked below the team they were playing..That means our poll has been over 83% right thus far.

The two times the poll predicted the wrong outcome of the game was when then:

#19 East Chambers defeated #17 Orangefield

and last week when then #13 Lumberton defeated #12 Bridge City

so basically, if you want to win the pick'em contests, look at the rankings and you'll have an advantage over everyone else

through 2 weeks of the new poll...

we have had 12 games that consisted of two teams in the poll...

only twice out of the 12 games has a team won that was ranked below the team they were playing..That means our poll has been over 83% right thus far...

So the people that voted on the polls have been right 10 out of 12 times when ranked teams play each other. But how can that be when the voters obviously have no idea what they are talking about since they don't go by won/loss records?

Guest GoStangs

Breaking news-----All persons involved in the voting have been suspended until futher notice. Never ssen a 0-3 team in a top 10. :evil:

How would you compose a poll with teams based on their actual strength? Just sit back and look at how the teams would compete against each other. I'm interested in seeing how you'd rate the teams based on who would beat whom... Good luck! :lol:

My augument on the topic is, Westbrook, beat a weak Ozen and Central, 2 4A teams and got a goose egg last week. Their #1

On the other hand, WO-S, #3 in the state, beat three 4A teams. And their not #1 in Southeast Texas? :shock:

I said earlier that I thought that Newton could beat Ozen. I also think that WO-S could beat every team in your top ten. But that is my opinion.

I got bashed earlier with everyone thinking I wanted Lumberton in the top ten. While I think that they could beat Ozen, I won't jump ahead of schedule. But if they do win this week, I really hope they get some consideration.

A few things here:

1. Ozen and Central are not weak 4a teams, by what standards do you make that assumption.

2. Newton IS ahead of Ozen in the polls, so why even keep bringing that up?

3. WOS had the same amount of first place votes as WB, they just didnt have the same amount of points. This is something that could change very quickly.

4. We did have a Lumberton voter participate, and he himself placed Ozen ahead of Lumberton.

Guest GoStangs

My augument on the topic is' date=' Westbrook, beat a weak Ozen and Central, 2 4A teams and got a goose egg last week. Their #1

On the other hand, WO-S, #3 in the state, beat three 4A teams. And their not #1 in Southeast Texas? :shock:

I said earlier that I thought that Newton could beat Ozen. I also think that WO-S could beat every team in your top ten. But that is my opinion.

I got bashed earlier with everyone thinking I wanted Lumberton in the top ten. While I think that they could beat Ozen, I won't jump ahead of schedule. But if they do win this week, I really hope they get some consideration.[/quote']

WB beat two of 22-4A's stronger teams (if not the strongest), Ozen and Central, so they should at least be ahead of them; WOS beat three 4A teams, but none of them have a winning record. In this kind of poll, if you're going to hold the loss WB had to Westfield, you have to then ask if WOS could have beaten Westfield or played them closer than WB did. Keep in mind Westfield is an undefeated, highly ranked 5A school, not an average Joe team by any means. On the flip side, could WB have beaten the 3 teams WOS has played?

WOS vs. WB would certainly be an interesting matchup, but since it won't happen this year or next season, we have to speculate who would win that matchup when we're making the poll. Both are undoubtedly strong teams, especially when they're at full strength, and both got a good amount of respect in the poll -- maybe too much -- but only time will tell how solid all teams are or are not. :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami