Question: What are the top 5 HS Football jobs in SE Texas?

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

Just curious..We were discussing the top 5 basketball jobs and thought I would ask the leatherheads what they thought about football! ;)

My guess:

1) West Orange Stark

2) Westbrook

3) PNG

4) Newton

5) Kirbyville

based on salary, tradition, ability to draw kids, ability to win, and facilities....what do you think?

Im biased but:

1. PNG- not a 5A school but still a large 4A, great fan support, facilities are top notch, play in a great district and pays well.

2. Lumberton- not an overall winning tradition but growing and growing fast. nice area and community supports the team. A very attractive local job now.

3. Nederland- look up

4. West Brook- 5A school that will have a great facility in a near future. Loads of talent through the system but loses a little luster with the amount of travel for district games and having to share with two other schools. 

5. Dayton- Nice facilities, tons of talent, nice area near SETX and Houston.

6. LC-M- Laugh if you want but if the right coach gets the kids to come play football that could be a great job. They have a nice stadium, the area is nice, and the numbers are there for them to compete with the right coach.

Opinion!

1. PNG - Stadium, Salary, Tradition, Community Support, Single HS District (can develop program at early ages)

2. Nederland - Salary, Building Tradition, not sure about community support after bond? Single HS District

3. WOS - Athletes, Tradition, Stadium (needs new Pressbox), Single HS District

4. Lumberton - Community Support, growing numbers, Single HS District

5. Silsbee - Stadium, Tradition, Athletes, Single HS District

I left out the BMT schools because they don't pay well and it is tough to build a program because the MS kids are spread out. Also they currently have poor facilities (soon to change, but they will be shared) and the community support is very fairweather.

I don't consider Dayton SETX or it would have been top 5. Newton probably would have been #6.

we're talking about the job opportunity here, not how dominant the schools have been. Yes WO-S and Newton are awesome programs run by great coaches but that's not what the question was. WO-S numbers are slowly falling. Just 15 years ago they were an avg size 4A HS, now a small 3A. Newton as good as they are is still a 2A program. Give me the 4A-5A jobs that have growth in their areas.

This is not intended to be a knock on any of the smaller schools its just my preference. Why do you think Alvarez applied for the LCM job this offseason?? Not because its currently a better football program than Kirbyville.  

we're talking about the job opportunity here, not how dominant the schools have been. Yes WO-S and Newton are awesome programs run by great coaches but that's not what the question was. WO-S numbers are slowly falling. Just 15 years ago they were an avg size 4A HS, now a small 3A. Newton as good as they are is still a 2A program. Give me the 4A-5A jobs that have growth in their areas.

This is not intended to be a knock on any of the smaller schools its just my preference. Why do you think Alvarez applied for the LCM job this offseason?? Not because its currently a better football program than Kirbyville.  

I think that you are correct but it depends on how someone defines "Top Job".

It is the winningest program or a well funded programs with good facilities, good pay scale for the head coach and community support? While some schools like Newton have a great tradition, how many top coaches in the state are going to beat down Newton's door when the job comes open? Some smaller school coaches looking to move up or an assistant looking for his first head coaching job are likelihoods.

PNG has been not bad lately but not great either but look what they can bring in for applications when a job opening comes up. I think that the community, facilities and money have more to do with what a head coach is looking for rather than a winning past.

I think your correct in what a Coach might be looking for. When Barbay eventually steps down at Newton, whomever takes over will undoubtedly have some big shoes to fill. This will not be an easy task and in the 2A ranks of pay and facilities, why would any coach want to come and try to carry on at one of the winningest programs in East Texas?  ::)

PNG1992 I respect ur post most of the time but you just went crazy for a second.

Im from Lumberton and I know its not a top flight job. Pays less than anyone in the area. Your coaches are also lowest payed so you are always losing or potentially losing coaches. Facility's are horrible and the school board and administration are not helping  you out. Lumberton is still one of the smallest 4As in the state. Last time they turned in 1064 and the talent is just not very good to be honest.

PNG should be on the list but probably around #5.

Dayton should be #1 because the pay is excellent for coach and staff. They have very nice facility's and the Superintendent is fully behind the program. Dayton is loaded with players every year and play in a District that will keep them fully stocked with District Titles for years to come. Oh and Football has no equal in that school

West Brook should be 2. I know BISD pays well and West Brook is getting just about any kid they want in Beaumont so they are loaded with Talent year in and year out. Facilitys arent all that so thats why I put Dayton ahead of them.

West Orange Stark. They havent lost a district game since moving down to 3A. not sure on pay but the fact that they hold on to most of their coaches means that they most likely pay well. Talent out of the wazoo. Why the heck havent yall done more in the playoffs is the big question but I know that its a great place to coach. Facilitys arent bad ethier

Nederland. From the coaches I know there they say they love it. They get the facility s they want and they pay very well. Its just a matter of time before they get turf. Talent wise they arent always the most talented but the kids there think they are suppose to win most of the time so that always helps. and they are a bigger 4A so they have alot of kids to pick from

PNG. PNG is a very good paying place. They used to say that their was never a job opening there because people never left. They're facilitys are fantastic too. They have a good number of kids just like nederland so they have alot of kids to pick from. Talent wise they are like Nederland. Problem with the place is the fans are unrealalistic but hey they dont know football so if you can stay away from the msg boards as a coach then your ok.

Okay just an idea here WTB, but what would you rather.. Talent or kids that play disciplined, hard-nosed football.. the right way! Might sounds like a stupid question.. but i'll give you a great example.

Ozen- how many players did they have sign? How many games did they win?

Lamarque- how many players do they have sign EVERY year? Didn't Lumberton beat them?

Yup.

If I were a coach, I'd take hardworking kids over talent any day.

Unless of course the talent worked hard..

But with most teams full of talent (IMO Central and Ozen) they usually don't work hard and their results show it. Central should go to state every year with their talent, they finally achieved it this year I think.

But Ozen should go deep with their talent as well, but you never see that.

PNG1992 I respect ur post most of the time but you just went crazy for a second.

Im from Lumberton and I know its not a top flight job. Pays less than anyone in the area. Your coaches are also lowest payed so you are always losing or potentially losing coaches. Facility's are horrible and the school board and administration are not helping  you out. Lumberton is still one of the smallest 4As in the state. Last time they turned in 1064 and the talent is just not very good to be honest.

Dayton should be #1 because the pay is excellent for coach and staff. They have very nice facility's and the Superintendent is fully behind the program. Dayton is loaded with players every year and play in a District that will keep them fully stocked with District Titles for years to come. Oh and Football has no equal in that school

West Brook should be 2. I know BISD pays well and West Brook is getting just about any kid they want in Beaumont so they are loaded with Talent year in and year out. Facilitys arent all that so thats why I put Dayton ahead of them.

West Orange Stark. They havent lost a district game since moving down to 3A. not sure on pay but the fact that they hold on to most of their coaches means that they most likely pay well. Talent out of the wazoo. Why the heck havent yall done more in the playoffs is the big question but I know that its a great place to coach. Facilitys arent bad ethier

Nederland. From the coaches I know there they say they love it. They get the facility s they want and they pay very well. Its just a matter of time before they get turf. Talent wise they arent always the most talented but the kids there think they are suppose to win most of the time so that always helps. and they are a bigger 4A so they have alot of kids to pick from

PNG. PNG is a very good paying place. They used to say that their was never a job opening there because people never left. They're facilitys are fantastic too. They have a good number of kids just like nederland so they have alot of kids to pick from. Talent wise they are like Nederland. Problem with the place is the fans are unrealalistic but hey they dont know football so if you can stay away from the msg boards as a coach then your ok.

Thanks for respecting my post but that is just my opinion. I think your list is a very good one but it all depends on what the candidate is looking for. If they're looking to parlay their high school HC job into a potential future college position WB would most likely move up on my list.

WO-S is a very attractive job but because of their strong history of winning and the talent they have every season but Id personally prefer a 4A or 5A school over a 3A...just a personal preference.

Lumberton may be in the position you stated now but if Credeur keeps winning and the program brings money to the district things should probably change. The city is still growing and they will not be one of the smaller schools in 20-4A much longer. I expect more of what we've seen from the Raiders the last two seasons more than what we used to see from them.

Nice topic DickVitale.

Guest etbu

Huffman hands down why? Salary, new weight room, stadium, area to live in, and a great supid that supports all of our teams. Not to mention the $$$$ we pay our A.D.  ;D We are a training ground for larger schools and if you don't believe me ask HC at Kingwood why he could not live on eighty eight large five years ago.  8) Not bad for a 3-a skewl.

being from Lumberton I hope your right but we have been growing since the mid 90s and the highschools number have never been over 1100. for things to get better the school board and the administration would have to get fully behind the program like PNG, Nederland, WOS, Silsbee etc etc etc

I have to disagree on WOS and Newton as being top HS football jobs. WOS is getting smaller every year. How could anyone step in and fill the shoes of Hooks and Thompson? Dont get me wrong: I believe that WOS will be a powerhouse as long as those two gentlemen are at the reins. I don't think that anybody else could walk in and ever have the same sucess as they have. Plus, look at the disharmony on the school board. That school district has its problems.

The same can be said for Barbay. A small school district used to being champions.Very hard shoes to fill.

Heres my list of plum jobs:

Westbrook - Premier area 5-A School.

PNG - Best Fans, Tradition & Facilities in the area.

Nederland - Very Good facilities & rabid fanbase.

Dayton - Excellent facilities & lots of talent.

LCM - Good facilities & program can only get better.

WTB, 15 years ago you could have said Dayton was the worst job in SE Texas.  Dayton has nice facilities, good pay for its coaches, and the support of the community and administrators because of what Coach Stewart did for that program.  Dayton has had some great players the last few years, but there were some seasons under Stewart where the talent was pretty thin and they still made the playoffs.  On average I don't think Dayton has been any more or less talented  than they were before Stewart, just better coaching.    I'll agree Dayton's current district isn't as strong as 22-4a but it's not like Dayton didn't dominate that district also.  

In 22-4a Dayton was 11-2 (both losses by one point).  Averaged 37 points a game and gave up just over 5 points a game.

being from Lumberton I hope your right but we have been growing since the mid 90s and the highschools number have never been over 1100. for things to get better the school board and the administration would have to get fully behind the program like PNG, Nederland, WOS, Silsbee etc etc etc

administration, school board, and WO-S program all in the same sentence with SUPPORT...now that's funny!!!

AJ25 I understand what your saying because you are right to a certain extent but Lumberton wasnt always full of displine hard working kids. They bought into a program and have been succuessful because of it but the rest of the community has to buy into the program for it to take the next step.

Dayton guy I understand what your saying and you help me with my point on wanting to be at a program with talented kids. If you get discipline, structure and hard work out of any kid your gonna be successful to a certain extent but the more talent you have the farther you are able to go. PNG go to a State Title game because of a D1 QB and good players around him. Dayton had some very talented kids along with 2 D1 guys Cody Green and AJ Dugat. If you look at the programs at the top of the heap every year they are usually gonna have a good deal of talent to work with and they work hard and are very disciplined.

Guest DickVitale

Stang, or anyone else from WO-S, why is it that you guys are not getting support from your administration? I knew about your athletic transportation problems, but I just thought that was about saving money for the district...Whats going on over there?  ???

WTB, 15 years ago you could have said Dayton was the worst job in SE Texas.  Dayton has nice facilities, good pay for its coaches, and the support of the community and administrators because of what Coach Stewart did for that program.  Dayton has had some great players the last few years, but there were some seasons under Stewart where the talent was pretty thin and they still made the playoffs.  On average I don't think Dayton has been any more or less talented  than they were before Stewart, just better coaching.    I'll agree Dayton's current district isn't as strong as 22-4a but it's not like Dayton didn't dominate that district also.  

In 22-4a Dayton was 11-2 (both losses by one point).  Averaged 37 points a game and gave up just over 5 points a game.

Minor correction 13-1 (only loss to L-town)

Guest misundastood

DAYTON---- is by far the best FOOTBALL job in southeast texas.......(other sports=not so much)

the : school, students, staff, administration, school board, super, community, businesses, animals, pets, rodents, bats, and birds all live and breathe BRONCO FOOTBALL.......

no other sport competes for players, no other event competes, no other teams compete, no mall you'd rather go to, no movie theatre, no dance clubs, ITS THE ONLY SHOW IN TOWN.......

they have ABOVE DECENT talent coming through every year (not elite like everyone thinks - they are developed by a wonderful program built and ran by the coaching staff)

and boy-oh-boy =====  i heard they pay those coaches very, very well.....

Opinion!

1. PNG - Stadium, Salary, Tradition, Community Support, Single HS District (can develop program at early ages)

2. Nederland - Salary, Building Tradition, not sure about community support after bond? Single HS District

3. WOS - Athletes, Tradition, Stadium (needs new Pressbox), Single HS District

4. Lumberton - Community Support, growing numbers, Single HS District

5. Silsbee - Stadium, Tradition, Athletes, Single HS District

I left out the BMT schools because they don't pay well and it is tough to build a program because the MS kids are spread out. Also they currently have poor facilities (soon to change, but they will be shared) and the community support is very fairweather.

I don't consider Dayton SETX or it would have been top 5. Newton probably would have been #6.

I noticed you put salary as one of the strengths of PNG and Nederland. I'm just curious, what is the difference in salary in your top 5. I don't know what WOS' is or any other for that matter.

Guest baseball25

I would take talent AJ........Ozen  they just need a coach that knows how to coach and teach the right scheme..there not being coach right also they got to have a hard nose coach that the players respect noway in heck ozen shouldn't make the playoffs every yr if newuman,hooks,creduer,barbay etc was at ozen i gurantee they would get it done and go to the playoffs each and every yr........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anagha.23
    Newest Member
    anagha.23