**Swine flu prompts UIL to postpone all athletic & academic competitions**

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly understand trying to protect the kids....I really do.  But I am like one of the previous posters....why cancel UIL activities?  What makes those activities more dangerous than sitting in a classroom or going to Wally World?  You cannot stop the spread.  I'd be willing to bet that there are thousands of kids in the malls, at the lakes, standing on the street corner, whatever in those towns where school was cancelled.  I also understand that traveling from one place to the next would spread the disease...but finish the district and THEN see how things are. What's done is done, though, and it doesn't make any difference if I think it's ridiculous or not. :D

Yeah, obviously sports is not important when you are comparing it to someone's life.

What reason for no sports though? So someone's kid doesn't go out into the open air and play some kind of ball but sits for eight hours in a class room full of people with no windows?

Uh huh, that makes sense. Sorry but I would rather take my chance on a baseball diamond for eight hours rather than sitting in a classroom. Think of this, those kids that aren't practicing or playing, are they cancelling their PE classes? If they don't go outside and practice for that period at school, what are they doing that is "safer" than going out into the open air?

Sorry but I haven't seen anything or heard any explanation that makes me believe that you are less likely to sit in class and be more immune than running down a lane on the track or going over the bar in a pole vault. For some reason, I don't think anyone will be able to give one either.

And to adminbaberuth, I will agree with your statement and have already said so earlier today. I said that the UIL might be doing this to give some teams an out by not having to forfeit when their school cancels practice or games and the other school doesn't.

TVC, I see your point and it does bring up questions, but since the UIL governs extracurricular activities which is competition between lots of different schools, wouldn't it at least hamper the spread from one school to another? Plus, it's not just the kids, you will have all of those sniffling, sneezing fans to worry about too. Wouldn't it be up to the individual districts to close the schools, which has already happened many places across the country?

TVC, I see your point and it does bring up questions, but since the UIL governs extracurricular activities which is competition between lots of different schools, wouldn't it at least hamper the spread from one school to another? Plus, it's not just the kids, you will have all of those sniffling, sneezing fans to worry about too. Wouldn't it be up to the individual districts to close the schools, which has already happened many places across the country?

The UIL can only stop sporting events in high school, not the classes. I am pondering the fact that so many people on here and other forums are saying what a good job it is to stop the games to keep the kids safe yet are they keeping their kids out of school?

I don't understand how sending a kid to play on the LCM or PNG diamond is going to put the person at great risk (anymore than simply living) yet they can go to school in closed ventilation systems. They can still travel in school events, just no sports. They will still go to the mall. The theaters will probably still be full this weekends with students taking in movies. But we had better not have them play ball in an open field or run down and open air track.

So yes, I understand the extreme limitations that the UIL has. I still think it is overreacting and the people that are saying what a great job it is in the name of safety are probably going about their daily lives interacting with the public just like any other day. If it is such a great decision in some people's minds, are they staying bottled up inside of their homes? Because if they aren't, their kids playing games is not risking their health any more than any other activity and in reality, probably a lot less.

I would hope that parents are being responsible enough to make their children stay away from places such as movie theaters, mallls, etc.  I know not all will, but I have made a conscious decision to do so.  My daughter had a state developmental gymnastics meet in Arlington today, but I chose to keep her home. 

The UIL is making the best decision for them in the face of an unprecented situation.  Whether the public chooses to follow suit and make an effort to limit exposure to public places is a personal choice that the UIL cannot control.  You can see by some of the posts on here that some people do not think there is a thing to be worried about while others, like myself, are making an effort to limit exposure.

It's a personal choice, and either way, you are going to have people that are not happy.  JMO

Guest punk

I would hope that parents are being responsible enough to make their children stay away from places such as movie theaters, mallls, etc.  I know not all will, but I have made a conscious decision to do so.  My daughter had a state developmental gymnastics meet in Arlington today, but I chose to keep her home. 

The UIL is making the best decision for them in the face of an unprecented situation.  Whether the public chooses to follow suit and make an effort to limit exposure to public places is a personal choice that the UIL cannot control.  You can see by some of the posts on here that some people do not think there is a thing to be worried about while others, like myself, are making an effort to limit exposure.

It's a personal choice, and either way, you are going to have people that are not happy.  JMO

???

Guest punk

Let me spell it out for you Punk......Oh wait!  I just did in plain English.  Are you having a hard time understanding?

I live in North Texas in a city that at the moment is sandwiched between two towns who have probable AND confirmed cases.   ::)

???

Do we have a chip on our shoulder? Tell us what time it is no need to build the watch.  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476