Antler Restrictions for East Tex

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="happyhour4" post="705344" timestamp="1258071124"]

i would like to no how is it stupid
[/quote]

It is stupid to think that the new law was put into only certain counties in order to get game wardens to write more citations.

To disagree with a law is no big deal. To think that the only reason a law is enacted is to issue tickets is living a silly argument.

[quote name="happyhour4" post="705374" timestamp="1258072250"]
actually i am a game warnerand those tickets get written all the time and i think its dumb.....
so quit acting like you no everything  :-*
[/quote]

Right.... and I have the Statue of Liberty in my back yard for sale.

Also, impersonating an officer is against the law.

Guest happyhour4
[quote name="tvc184" post="705409" timestamp="1258074420"]
[quote author=happyhour4 link=topic=54675.msg705374#msg705374 date=1258072250]
actually i am a game warnerand those tickets get written all the time and i think its dumb.....
so quit acting like you no everything  :-*
[/quote]

Right.... and I have the Statue of Liberty in my back yard for sale.

Also, impersonating an officer is against the law.
[/quote]
really how much is it

[quote name="happyhour4" post="705405" timestamp="1258074277"]
oh my bad warner and is that better for you
[/quote]

Nope don't know that one either...since your a warden and all what's the rule for transporting wild hogs in Texas? I know the answer do you?

If your wandering no I don't believe your an officer of any sort.

[quote name="sportshustler" post="705430" timestamp="1258075407"]
okay honestley i think yall are all dumb..
and if i had to chose and ones side on this it would be happyhour4's.. i understand where he is coming from
and why is Bucof2010 acting like he knows everything?
[/quote]

So you think that antler restrictions were only put in so they could find another reason to give tickets?

They walk among us.............

[quote name="sportshustler" post="705430" timestamp="1258075407"]
okay honestley i think yall are all dumb..
and if i had to chose and ones side on this it would be happyhour4's.. i understand where he is coming from
and why is Bucof2010 acting like he knows everything?
[/quote]

Im so far from knowing everything...actually if anyone on here does its tvc..however it doesn't take a genious to realize how idiotic that is

Back to the topic, I am all for the restrictions. We have had an "unwritten" rule for years of killing mature, trophy bucks. We have had a few "mistakes", but that is nothing but lost genetics. It does work against you on culls, but they are a lot of times few and far between, and personally on our lease there are several who couldn't tell the difference between culls and young deer. But overall it works, IMO. We hunt thick swamps and bottoms, and get very little time to "examine" our deer, but when a true trophy walks out, an experienced hunter knows (tine length, mass, body size, older characteristics, etc.). I do know a game warden, and they do understand mistakes on this rule, and their option on writing a ticket depends on maturity. Other than that, if one really wants meat, use your doe tag or "unbranched" antler tag. Proper management involves taking these as well.

[quote name="ranchhand 79" post="705615" timestamp="1258084559"]
Back to the topic, I am all for the restrictions. We have had an "unwritten" rule for years of killing mature, trophy bucks. We have had a few "mistakes", but that is nothing but lost genetics. It does work against you on culls, but they are a lot of times few and far between, and personally on our lease there are several who couldn't tell the difference between culls and young deer. But overall it works, IMO. We hunt thick swamps and bottoms, and get very little time to "examine" our deer, but when a true trophy walks out, an experienced hunter knows (tine length, mass, body size, older characteristics, etc.). I do know a game warden, and they do understand mistakes on this rule, and their option on writing a ticket depends on maturity. Other than that, if one really wants meat, use your [b]doe tag [/b] or "unbranched" antler tag. Proper management involves taking these as well.
[/quote]as i stated before, i don't personally have a problem w/ the regs because i don't hunt public lands. what about the people that do? a lot of times they don't have the option of using their doe tag for meat. public lands are notoriously the most poached lands, so the deer numbers (especially 13" spread) aren't as good as on a lease. the regulations hurt these people. all they can basically do is hope for a spike to come by or they go home w/ nada. they should leave it up to the lease managers to make restrictions. if you don't like the restrictions on a certain lease, don't get on it. the land owners love the new laws. lease prices are about to go thru the roof and there's nothing anyone can do about it. i'm just glad i hunt on private property.

I don't see lease prices rising because of the new regs.  It's  supply and demand.  I don't expect to see a lot of new hunters just because there might be a few mature bucks in the herd.  More likely, some hunters will give it up because it's more difficult to shoot a buck.

And, suppose you are right.  Leases have better deer so landowners can charge more.  That would work out great for me.  I would still pay less than I have to pay out west, and I would love to hunt closer if I could see decent deer.  JMO

[quote name="westend1" post="705855" timestamp="1258124313"]
I don't see lease prices rising because of the new regs.  It's  supply and demand.  I don't expect to see a lot of new hunters just because there might be a few mature bucks in the herd.  More likely, some hunters will give it up because it's more difficult to shoot a buck.

And, suppose you are right.  Leases have better deer so landowners can charge more.   That would work out great for me.  I would still pay less than I have to pay out west, and I would love to hunt closer if I could see decent deer.   JMO
[/quote]the leases don't necessarily have to have better deer, but they will claim that and raise prices. i'm not sure why you even care about the regs if you are "hunting out west". you might as well just buy a mount from a taxidermist. there's not much difference. it would probably be cheaper. the only challenge is staying awake on the drive out. ;D

I do understand where you are coming from spoonbill. A lot of public and private lands will be hurt for possibly several of years until the herd as a whole matures. I hunted for years growing up on a lease where if you see horn, shoot. Not only that, the pressure was intense (too many hunters, overkills, poaching, etc.). If you killed something around 16", it was a "Monster". Well, when they finally let some walk, they kill 18-20" regularly now, by putting age on them. That is the point of this regulation. Additionally, Public or private, poaching will always be a problem. I have family that have done it in the past, and still for the life of me can't figure out why, I have a family of four, and we barely can eat 2-3 deer a year and we eat it a lot. BUUUUUTTTTTT, I guess I get my opinion on all this due to the fact, if I don't kill something for meat, I can always go to market basket. I take pride in watching a herd mature. I always say, I am a hunter, not a killer. But again, I can see many people's frustration on this, because for some, it could take years to get a mature group, and we all no, a lot of places in east texas seem to be missing genetics, or they haven't gotten old enough for us to see them.

[quote name="spoonbill" post="705882" timestamp="1258126116"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=54675.msg705855#msg705855 date=1258124313]
I don't see lease prices rising because of the new regs.  It's  supply and demand.  I don't expect to see a lot of new hunters just because there might be a few mature bucks in the herd.  More likely, some hunters will give it up because it's more difficult to shoot a buck.

And, suppose you are right.  Leases have better deer so landowners can charge more.   That would work out great for me.  I would still pay less than I have to pay out west, and I would love to hunt closer if I could see decent deer.   JMO
[/quote]the leases don't necessarily have to have better deer, but they will claim that and raise prices. i'm not sure why you even care about the regs if you are "hunting out west". you might as well just buy a mount from a taxidermist. there's not much difference. it would probably be cheaper. the only challenge is staying awake on the drive out. ;D
[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get one out west, and it would be cheaper to buy a deer head, I guess.   We are overrun right now with exotics.  I saw one herd of about 100 axis the other evening.  They are hard to get with a bow, though.  And you should try to get a shot off on turkey.   dang near impossible.     I care about the local regs because I would like to see quality hunting in this area.  it's hard to find 1000-1500 acre tracts to lease and manage around here, when you know your neighbors are going to shoot anything that crosses the fence(and some that don't cross the fence)

[quote name="ranchhand 79" post="705908" timestamp="1258127381"]
I do understand where you are coming from spoonbill. A lot of public and private lands will be hurt for possibly several of years until the herd as a whole matures. I hunted for years growing up on a lease where if you see horn, shoot. Not only that, the pressure was intense (too many hunters, overkills, poaching, etc.). If you killed something around 16", it was a "Monster". Well, when they finally let some walk, they kill 18-20" regularly now, by putting age on them. That is the point of this regulation. Additionally, Public or private, poaching will always be a problem. I have family that have done it in the past, and still for the life of me can't figure out why, I have a family of four, and we barely can eat 2-3 deer a year and we eat it a lot. BUUUUUTTTTTT, I guess I get my opinion on all this due to the fact, if I don't kill something for meat, I can always go to market basket. I take pride in watching a herd mature. I always say, I am a hunter, not a killer. But again, I can see many people's frustration on this, because for some, it could take years to get a mature group, and we all no, a lot of places in east texas seem to be missing genetics, or they haven't gotten old enough for us to see them.
[/quote]i have 5 in my family and we try to take 2 a yr. there is no point in killing more than you can eat. 2 mature deer should give you a good amount of meat. since my wife already killed, we will probably do a lot of watching for the rest of the year. i would hate to kill another one too early or i might find myself with a chore list. i just feel for the people that have to rely on public lands. these new regs are killing the ones that follow the rules. btw market basket is WAY cheaper. :D

[quote name="ranchhand 79" post="705908" timestamp="1258127381"]
[size=10pt][b]I do understand where you are coming from spoonbill. A lot of public and private lands will be hurt for possibly several of years until the herd as a whole matures[/b][/size]. I hunted for years growing up on a lease where if you see horn, shoot. Not only that, the pressure was intense (too many hunters, overkills, poaching, etc.). If you killed something around 16", it was a "Monster". Well, when they finally let some walk, they kill 18-20" regularly now, by putting age on them. That is the point of this regulation. Additionally, Public or private, poaching will always be a problem. I have family that have done it in the past, and still for the life of me can't figure out why, I have a family of four, and we barely can eat 2-3 deer a year and we eat it a lot. BUUUUUTTTTTT, I guess I get my opinion on all this due to the fact, if I don't kill something for meat, I can always go to market basket. I take pride in watching a herd mature. I always say, I am a hunter, not a killer. But again, I can see many people's frustration on this, because for some, it could take years to get a mature group, and we all no, a lot of places in east texas seem to be missing genetics, or they haven't gotten old enough for us to see them.
[/quote]

The whole herd that is at least yearlings, will mature in two years. That is assuming that every deer older than 1.5 years old has been killed. A normal buck fawn should be outside his ears within three years.

Got to start somewhere.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami