Is Spring football REALLY necessary?

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

OK...I'll bite...No 44stack its because I know you football guys are so darn dumb and easy to manipulate. AND I am so glad that the retarded looking Mel Kiper, Jr., with the helmet hair-do can get off of SportsCenter now that the boring NFL draft is done...what a waste of TV time!....How's that? You wanna start crap? OK...There you go....I WAS ONLY ASKING A QUESTION! SERIOUSLY. Nothing more.

BTW, I played EVERY sport (basketball, football, and baseball) from ages 4 to 13. When I got to high school I specialized, because I went to a school with darn near 3500 students, and basketball was naturally my favorite...naturally. We had VERY FEW two way sport players in high school. My 4 years of VARSITY basketball I had 2 teammates that played football. They were good guys, and were allowed to be on the squad. Neither one of them played very much either, and BOTH had football scholarships in hand. Rice and Miami.  The next two way sports player after that who played basketball and football was VINCE YOUNG, 8 years later.  Just wasn't necessary at my high school, bro.  ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah there's some real brains on the court.  Just admit it, you can't stand it that football is king. You know that you couldn't hack it on the field. 

BTW yates I thought  you said you were done here since you got your new job.  Does  your new high school know that your so one dimensional? 

Guest DickVitale

Yeah I wanted to stay off because guys like you that I don't know try to address me like they know me.  I changed my mind because the ignorance on here needed some intelligent balance.  I don't coach football where I am, so me being one dimensional (which I am not) is no issue.

DV - you mentioned that you played all sports as a kid until you became a teen and then you decided to specialize.  Why are parents and coaches (both AAU/summer sports, club sports, and high school sports) wanting kids to specialize?  Why not play all sports throughout junior high and high school?  Very few kids will be good enough to get an athletic scholarship in any particular sport, so why not allow the kids to play them all and enjoy life?  Serious question; I'm not a harsh poster.

I favor spring football ... I'm not a basketball guy ... for me, there's football season and then there is football offseason, which encompasses track and field and weight lifting ... for some downtime from football, go ahead and play some baseball.  And, if a kid wants to play some hoops, then go for it.

I want my son and daughter to play all sports, enjoy music, dancing, and all the other stuff that kids should go and do.  I'll encourage them to specialize in law school or medical school.  But, while they're young, they need to just enjoy the variety of life.  Life is way too short ... before you know it, you wake up and you're 40, 50, 60, etc.  It goes by way too fast.

Go Indians.  Peace.

Guest DickVitale

Well, particularly in larger schools, kids tend to specialize in order to keep up...That means that if you are playing football then basketball season starts, you join the team late, and in larger schools, you may not EVER catch up to the guy that has been playing basketball all spring and summer, then in early fall while that football player was crawling around on the field and "maxing out" every day in the weight room. basketball is a SKILL DRIVEN SPORT...You MUST play in order to be effective. It will take a football player at least a month or month and a half just to get into basketball condition...Then they have timing issues at first...Smaller schools that depend on these two way stars just have to deal with it, where at large schools, they get left behind...Thats what I dont think that SE Texans truly understand.

This all goes back to his "why is football king" thread. It is king because it puts way more tails in seats than BB, and more people participate in football. As far as spring football goes, others have made the point. If you have a new coach or young players, or are changing up the system, the coach needs the time to evaluate the players. Did Ozen do spring football?

Well, particularly in larger schools, kids tend to specialize in order to keep up...That means that if you are playing football then basketball season starts, you join the team late, and in larger schools, you may not EVER catch up to the guy that has been playing basketball all spring and summer, then in early fall while that football player was crawling around on the field and "maxing out" every day in the weight room. basketball is a SKILL DRIVEN SPORT...You MUST play in order to be effective. It will take a football player at least a month or month and a half just to get into basketball condition...Then they have timing issues at first...Smaller schools that depend on these two way stars just have to deal with it, where at large schools, they get left behind...Thats what I dont think that SE Texans truly understand.

I've never seen a football player maxing out every day during football season.  We work on skills needed for football.

Guest DickVitale

I was being sarcastic, but what "skills" do you need to play football? Really...OK the QB, RB and WR need to be skilled, and THOSE are usually the ones that play basketball too (IRONIC)...Other than that...Please enlighten us on ALL THOSE SKILLS that need to be taught.... ::) ::)

You guys can fix it up all you want, but SPRING FOOTBALL IS A HUGE WASTE OF TIME. Let them lift, play 7 on 7, keep them in shape for August, and Get after it!! North Shore does it that way, and so does Katy...BUT of course, they actually win state titles too..... ::)

I was being sarcastic, but what "skills" do you need to play football? Really...OK the QB, RB and WR need to be skilled, and THOSE are usually the ones that play basketball too (IRONIC)...Other than that...Please enlighten us on ALL THOSE SKILLS that need to be taught.... ::) ::)

You guys can fix it up all you want, but SPRING FOOTBALL IS A HUGE WASTE OF TIME. Let them lift, play 7 on 7, keep them in shape for August, and Get after it!! North Shore does it that way, and so does Katy...BUT of course, they actually win state titles too..... ::)

so DickyV......in your world DBs are not skilled?.....

I second that.

what good would me practicing baseball around labor day for 2 weeks instead of adding 2 weeks prior to the season.?

Seriously. Are football coaches THAT eager to strap the kids up and see some contact before the marathon fall season begins? They have 7 on 7 in the summer (which was only created to counter basketball AAU, by the way, but thats another topic for another day) What GOOD does spring football do for high school programs? Really.

I think I can answer your question....you spend a whole off-season working with a kid at a position,he understands the concepts and looks good in shorts.He's the guy you think is the started so he gets more reps ...then august rolls around and the kid cant do the job when pads are on....you just wasted an off season on a kid getting most of the reps and now you have to catch up another player as the season is going....when you have a turn over on a lot of players each year spring ball helps insure you have your "players"on the field in august....bottom line..

Guest DickVitale

Seriously. Are football coaches THAT eager to strap the kids up and see some contact before the marathon fall season begins? They have 7 on 7 in the summer (which was only created to counter basketball AAU, by the way, but thats another topic for another day) What GOOD does spring football do for high school programs? Really.

I think I can answer your question....you spend a whole off-season working with a kid at a position,he understands the concepts and looks good in shorts.He's the guy you think is the started so he gets more reps ...then august rolls around and the kid cant do the job when pads are on....you just wasted an off season on a kid getting most of the reps and now you have to catch up another player as the season is going....when you have a turn over on a lot of players each year spring ball helps insure you have your "players"on the field in august....bottom line..

Soooooo, you say that kids can't look good in SPRING BALL in pads and stink it up against real competition in the fall??....WOW... ::) ::)......SPRING FOOTBALL IS A WASTE OF TIME..... ::)

Soooooo, you say that kids can't look good in SPRING BALL in pads and stink it up against real competition in the fall??....WOW... ::) ::)......SPRING FOOTBALL IS A WASTE OF TIME..... ::)

Im answering your question to the advantage of having spring ball...I didnt read your statement anywhere in my answer....

Kids can look like all americans in spring ball and STILL stink the place up in the fall.... ::) WASTE OF TIME.

If you think having the best evaluation of your players that you can have going into the season is a waste of time.....well some coaches would disagree with you(mostly the successful ones)

Who in the heck really cares what dickvital really thinks football should or shouldn't do anyways.  The guy obviously doesn't get what he needs from basketball so he has to come over here to bash the king of all sports.  He's jealous, petty, and juvenile.  I seriously doubt he ever even stepped on the court in high school.  After all, he couldn't step on the field! :D

Who in the heck really cares what dickvital really thinks football should or shouldn't do anyways.  The guy obviously doesn't get what he needs from basketball so he has to come over here to bash the king of all sports.  He's jealous, petty, and juvenile.  I seriously doubt he ever even stepped on the court in high school.  After all, he couldn't step on the field! :D

Hate to say it bro but soccer is king of all sports...setx football is king but that doesn't compare to Europe Africa Asia and South America where soccer rules all.

Guest DickVitale

king of all sports? How dumb..... ::) ::)..Obviously you are a high school kid so I won't cut you deep....Go to bed kid.....You have to take the TAKS test in the morning.... ::)

amen

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder