Spendora @ Huffman Tuesday..4-1 Huffman Wins!!!

Guest etbu

Guest 11/13Dad

Congrats to my former team Huffman on their big victory tonight. Best of luck in the playoffs

Mr. Bowers said first victory over that team in the 14 years he can recall.  ETBU said I gotta come back.  Well played game by Huffman. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest b-a-g fan

I knew Huffman would come out soon to show how strong they realy are . We saw first hand and alot of teams will see that soon .. Congrats to some nice people and nice kids over there

Congrats to my former team Huffman on their big victory tonight. Best of luck in the playoffs

Mr. Bowers said first victory over that team in the 14 years he can recall.  ETBU said I gotta come back.  Well played game by Huffman. 

Ok let me write this now that evening is much quieter. 13 is the new Favorite Son Of Lady Falcon softball. Shows up and we win so cannot be all bad.Ha Lady Falcons played well and these two teams will meet again as soon as late next week. Good ballgame but was good seeing 13 and buds from Crosby. 13 did we actually watch much of the game? ???

Awesome game tonight between these two teams.  Way to go Lady Falcons!  If there is a decisive 3rd game, it will have to wait till after next week.  Splendora has 3 district games left, and as you know Huffman 2.  Friday, April 24th, a game with Nederland has been added to the schedule, which will be played here in Huffman.

OK let me write this now that evening is much quieter. 13 is the new Favorite Son Of Lady Falcon softball. Shows up and we win so cannot be all bad.Ha Lady Falcons played well and these two teams will meet again as soon as late next week. Good ballgame but was good seeing 13 and buds from Crosby. 13 did we actually watch much of the game? ???

Awesome game tonight between these two teams.  Way to go Lady Falcons!  If there is a decisive 3rd game, it will have to wait till after next week.  Splendora has 3 district games left, and as you know Huffman 2.  Friday, April 24th, a game with Nederland has been added to the schedule, which will be played here in Huffman.

Bag and the guys are coming?  ;D Not all bad.  ;D First time I seen the Lady Falcons hit the ball since early in the season. Went through a mini slump there for a while and glad the lumber is back. Huffman is a  good young team but we have get  a JV team going next year. Don't know what went down but not happy about it all and will destroy this program. When you have kids in the stands wanting to play ball and cant not good bc team was done away with. ??? Am very happy for all the Lady Falcons and parents bc your hard work has paid off and could not happen to a bunch of great kids. From Wiggins to Ballew and Fowler good stuff.

Guest TAKESATEAM

I know Huffman is very good but know that Splendora is as well.  Not surprised Huffman won, just surprised they won by 3.  Figured it would be a 1-0 or 2-1 ballgame.

Gotcha understand better now.  Huffman "gave" them the one run in the top of 7th with a couple of errors.  Other than that Huffman got the big hits when needed.

Great game Both teams did a good job!!  Good job pitching from both girls a freshman from splendora  ;Dand a Jr from Huffman 8), and good team work from both teams. Cannot wait till the next one!!!!  Had lots of fun at the game too!!! A couple of really bad calls from the blue for the Splendora side, but we cant win them all :(

Guest Gotcha

These are two very strong teams, and it was a very well played game.  Both coaches do a very good job with getting the teams ready to play.  From what I have heard the jv team was done away with because there were some problems with grades and not enough girls came out, which seems to be a little rare in Huffman.  I heard that they pulled up all the girls who were passing and on jv to varsity.

Gotcha, you are correct on what you have heard.  I am not sure how someone can say they are not happy with the fact there is no JV team when they do not know all of the factors behind it.  To start, only 11 girls came out for the jv team this year. etbu  Of those 11, two were pulled up to be on varsity.  From then on, the three coaches spent hours trying to figure out how to keep a jv team by playing varsity members down (yes, risking the health of a varsity team member just so others can play), but not exceeding the limit of games UIL allows student athletes to play in a single season.  However after all of that, when the grading period ended, there were at least 4 of the 8 true JV team members failing so they were not eligible anyway.  Of the few that were left, there were discipline issues in which they had multiple office referrals and/or suspensions (in school or out) for behavior.  So you tell me, would you want to risk some players who will be able to help your varsity team in season and in playoffs this year for others to play when they cannot pass nor can stay out of trouble????????  To conclude the situation, the last few players that were staying out of trouble and passing their classes were offered to stay on the team for experience but would probably not get much, if any playing time on varsity.  Of the 2 or 3 that were offered that, 1, decided it was worth their time and effort to stay with the team.  So I tell you, of the kids you spoke to in the stands that want to be playing so bad, you should ask them if they are the students who were failing, who are discipline problems, or just those who decided that TEAM doesn’t matter to them as much as playing time.

Gotcha, you are correct on what you have heard.  I am not sure how someone can say they are not happy with the fact there is no JV team when they do not know all of the factors behind it.  To start, only 11 girls came out for the jv team this year. etbu  Of those 11, two were pulled up to be on varsity.  From then on, the three coaches spent hours trying to figure out how to keep a jv team by playing varsity members down (yes, risking the health of a varsity team member just so others can play), but not exceeding the limit of games UIL allows student athletes to play in a single season.  However after all of that, when the grading period ended, there were at least 4 of the 8 true JV team members failing so they were not eligible anyway.  Of the few that were left, there were discipline issues in which they had multiple office referrals and/or suspensions (in school or out) for behavior.  So you tell me, would you want to risk some players who will be able to help your varsity team in season and in playoffs this year for others to play when they cannot pass nor can stay out of trouble????????  To conclude the situation, the last few players that were staying out of trouble and passing their classes were offered to stay on the team for experience but would probably not get much, if any playing time on varsity.  Of the 2 or 3 that were offered that, 1, decided it was worth their time and effort to stay with the team.  So I tell you, of the kids you spoke to in the stands that want to be playing so bad, you should ask them if they are the students who were failing, who are discipline problems, or just those who decided that TEAM doesn’t matter to them as much as playing time.

why is the dirty laundry , such as failure rates and discipline being aired on a public website?

why is the dirty laundry , such as failure rates and discipline being aired on a public website?

Good post Mr. Gander--I agree and well stated.

Gotcha, you are correct on what you have heard.  I am not sure how someone can say they are not happy with the fact there is no JV team when they do not know all of the factors behind it.  To start, only 11 girls came out for the JV team this year. etbu  Of those 11, two were pulled up to be on varsity.  From then on, the three coaches spent hours trying to figure out how to keep a jv team by playing varsity members down (yes, risking the health of a varsity team member just so others can play), but not exceeding the limit of games UIL allows student athletes to play in a single season.  However after all of that, when the grading period ended, there were at least 4 of the 8 true JV team members failing so they were not eligible anyway.  Of the few that were left, there were discipline issues in which they had multiple office referrals and/or suspensions (in school or out) for behavior.  So you tell me, would you want to risk some players who will be able to help your varsity team in season and in playoffs this year for others to play when they cannot pass nor can stay out of trouble????????  To conclude the situation, the last few players that were staying out of trouble and passing their classes were offered to stay on the team for experience but would probably not get much, if any playing time on varsity.  Of the 2 or 3 that were offered that, 1, decided it was worth their time and effort to stay with the team.  So I tell you, of the kids you spoke to in the stands that want to be playing so bad, you should ask them if they are the students who were failing, who are discipline problems, or just those who decided that TEAM doesn't matter to them as much as playing time.

Great post there BG and it is about the kids but let me pose these facts. I confess not the brightest bird in the bush but not bad at numbers so check these out.

06-07 Total Lady Falcons in the program was thirty five to forty. Failure rate? two or three at the most during same time period.

Current numbers in same program is what total sixteen? Failure rate fifty percent?

First time in the history of our school that there is no JV softball program. Why is there a failure and discipline problem just over the past two years? 

Considering it's public knowledge anyway that these kids can't stay out of trouble and they cannot pass their classes, it doesn't really matter who puts it on a website.  Not to mention the fact that no names were given so no one knows specifics anyway.  However, if you must know why I posted what I did, it is for the simple reason that no matter who you are or what you do as a coach, someone is always going to be blaming you for someone else's faults.

I think it's great the people you talk to are educated and well rounded.  I may not be as smart as they are, but no one claimed I was.  For number purposes, it seems as though Huffman has fewer numbers of female athletes in all sports, not just softball.  So, do we blame the coaches??  Instead, why don't we look at the kids themselves and start holding them accountable for their actions?  Pat Summit said in an interview this year that it is getting harder and harder to coach because the current generation of student athletes have little to no self-motivation.  If I remember correctly, softball is not the only program that lost a JV team this year.  So I get the fact that there may be some upset people, but don't you think the coaching staff and the school are upset about it too?

With that being said, thank you EAST Tx for getting this discussion where it should have stayed in the first place.  Great job to the the Huffman softball team for defeating a good Splendora team.  It will be fun to watch the playoff when the district season is over.

Considering it's public knowledge anyway that these kids can't stay out of trouble and they cannot pass their classes, it doesn't really matter who puts it on a website.  Not to mention the fact that no names were given so no one knows specifics anyway.  However, if you must know why I posted what I did, it is for the simple reason that no matter who you are or what you do as a coach, someone is always going to be blaming you for someone else's faults.

I think it's great the people you talk to are educated and well rounded.  I may not be as smart as they are, but no one claimed I was.  For number purposes, it seems as though Huffman has fewer numbers of female athletes in all sports, not just softball.  So, do we blame the coaches??  Instead, why don't we look at the kids themselves and start holding them accountable for their actions?  Pat Summit said in an interview this year that it is getting harder and harder to coach because the current generation of student athletes have little to no self-motivation.  If I remember correctly, softball is not the only program that lost a JV team this year.  So I get the fact that there may be some upset people, but don't you think the coaching staff and the school are upset about it too?

With that being said, thank you EAST Tx for getting this discussion where it should have stayed in the first place.  Great job to the the Huffman softball team for defeating a good Splendora team.  It will be fun to watch the playoff when the district season is over.

Why in your opinion are the kids not coming out for softball over the last two years? Are all the kids that sorry and lazy? Amazing kids that I spoke to last night in the stands come from some pretty healthy families. Just my take but I am sure that this will be discussed on a much high level than a message board in the near future. Peace out.  ;D Please give us a "I dont care what your parents think and they can get me fired bc I can get a job anywhere"  lines. Seems to be the theme around here over the past three years and please if you can GO.  ???

Gotcha, you are correct on what you have heard.  I am not sure how someone can say they are not happy with the fact there is no JV team when they do not know all of the factors behind it.  To start, only 11 girls came out for the JV team this year. etbu  Of those 11, two were pulled up to be on varsity.  From then on, the three coaches spent hours trying to figure out how to keep a jv team by playing varsity members down (yes, risking the health of a varsity team member just so others can play), but not exceeding the limit of games UIL allows student athletes to play in a single season.  However after all of that, when the grading period ended, there were at least 4 of the 8 true JV team members failing so they were not eligible anyway.  Of the few that were left, there were discipline issues in which they had multiple office referrals and/or suspensions (in school or out) for behavior.  So you tell me, would you want to risk some players who will be able to help your varsity team in season and in playoffs this year for others to play when they cannot pass nor can stay out of trouble????????  To conclude the situation, the last few players that were staying out of trouble and passing their classes were offered to stay on the team for experience but would probably not get much, if any playing time on varsity.  Of the 2 or 3 that were offered that, 1, decided it was worth their time and effort to stay with the team.  So I tell you, of the kids you spoke to in the stands that want to be playing so bad, you should ask them if they are the students who were failing, who are discipline problems, or just those who decided that TEAM doesn't matter to them as much as playing time.

Great post there BG and it is about the kids but let me pose these facts. I confess not the brightest bird in the bush but not bad at numbers so check these out.

06-07 Total Lady Falcons in the program was thirty five to forty. Failure rate? two or three at the most during same time period.

Current numbers in same program is what total sixteen? Failure rate fifty percent?

First time in the history of our school that there is no JV softball program. Why is there a failure and discipline problem just over the past two years? 

Please explain to me why we are the only mostly Anglo high school in this area without a JV softball team.  ??? This was a serious topic of discussion around the fence last night. The people that were conducting this conversation are pretty well  rounded and educated folks so be careful.

well Mr. ETBU, I can't answer your question to why such a high rate now, but as for the 2 years I can answer, we constantly checked grades, TAKS and all (especially for seniors), and always checked discipline issues. I little field justice usually handled most discipline problems. I am sure there are valid reasons why the jv team was folded, but it is hard to build a program with nothing coming up. I happen to be at a dominate non anglo school and we stress academics over softball.  I might be strange but that education is a lot more important than those victories. On a side note, BIG CONGRATS to Tamara, Chelsea and Savannah and the rest of the team for that Splendora victory. I was fortunate enough to come close, but never got that win. I know, Lana, Monika, Kristi, Julie, Amber, Ashli and many former players are proud of you. And young Bowers hang in there girl, your time is coming

Please explain to me why we are the only mostly Anglo high school in this area without a JV softball team.  ??? This was a serious topic of discussion around the fence last night. The people that were conducting this conversation are pretty well  rounded and educated folks so be careful.

well Mr. ETBU, I can't answer your question to why such a high rate now, but as for the 2 years I can answer, we constantly checked grades, TAKS and all (especially for seniors), and always checked discipline issues. I little field justice usually handled most discipline problems. I am sure there are valid reasons why the jv team was folded, but it is hard to build a program with nothing coming up. I happen to be at a dominate non anglo school and we stress academics over softball.  I might be strange but that education is a lot more important than those victories. On a side note, BIG CONGRATS to Tamara, Chelsea and Savannah and the rest of the team for that Splendora victory. I was fortunate enough to come close, but never got that win. I know, Lana, Monika, Kristi, Julie, Amber, Ashli and many former players are proud of you. And young Bowers hang in there girl, your time is coming

Forgot about the kids my bad.  ??? Is there anything better than watching Wiggins pitching? Ballew in the starting lineup and setting the tables? Barker behind the plate? Fowler having a great senior year after not playing two years bc of a leg injury? Standing next to 13 and taking it all in? NO is the answer. Good to see one of the best coaches in the state Coach Weldon.

I may be wrong on this but accountability is a two way street. I don't know if ETBU or anyone expressed that it was any coaches fault. He was inquiring why numbers are dropping in softball, and according to you in all sports. I like that Pat Summit analogy, BUT I am pretty sure they deal with different athletes. To believe that young adults have no self-motivation is ludicrious. My son went to Huffman for 2 years and the numbers were high in every sport. Now incredibly the mysterious apathy bug flew over the town and the numbers are dropping. Let's do the students accountable but lets hold the whole school accountable. Just my take

I never said they were lazy.  I know some pretty amazing kids from Huffman too, and they come from great families.  So stop putting words in my mouth.  All I am saying is, don't blame others, take on the responsibility yourself.  So while you were talking the the kids about them wanting to play softball, you should have just asked them why they weren't playing.  Maybe you did, and maybe their answers were they didn't like the coach, but being a former athlete yourself I presume, did you ever stick it out and play for a coach you didn't like?

I agree, EVERYONE needs to be held accountable for their actions.  Again all I am saying is don't blame others.  In some recent posts, its seems pretty obvious who the blame was being pushed towards.  Also, I am not speaking in the direction of all young adults.  As I said before, I know some great kids from Huffman who come from good families and they have awesome self-motivation.  The best example I can think of is the Varsity softball team.  A group of great, well mannered, respectful kids.  And sure, colleges deal with different athletes, but my point was, if a coach like Pat Summit is saying those things, what sort of athletes are we dealing with in high schools?

When Kelly Mead SB, Buddy Thames BB, Bobby Carson basketball, and AD and Dogual Mc Dougal were here check these numbers out in football alone. With six hundred and fifty in the high skewl there were over one hundred and sixty in the football program. Not only football but Mead who is now the Head Baseball Coach at Kingwood was the SB please tell me we worked with numbers like these. Point? From AD all the way down have to have Coaches that can motivate and hang with kids. This is not the twenties have to show some kids luv and that you care about them. Wut you think? Been out here since sixty eight and have seen them come and go but nothing better than a hard working player busting it for a cool coach.  ;D Splendora and Huffman resemble each other right? Why do the have the kids turn out that they do compared to Huffman ???

Guest 11/13Dad

Bsikes,  I like some of your takes.  Maybe between your takes and the ones ETBU has, (because a lot of folks feel his way) a solution can be worked out.  No one suffers in this story but the girls.  I think the bushes could be beat to get enough softball players to field a JV team at a school such as Huffman.  To address something Mr. ETBU stated, great night for ball in Huffman and a huge victory. Standing there taking it all in was pretty dang neat.

What you don't understand about the post by Mr. East Tx, that was huge also.  He may be a 1/2 Huffman Falcon convert now.  Thanks to East Tx for that post. They did hit the ball last night when it counted.  

Looks like there will be a rematch and I hope it is at a neutral site, and please no one come on here and say that that can't be done because I've seen it.

Bsikes,  I like some of your takes.  Maybe between your takes and the ones ETBU has, (because a lot of folks feel his way) a solution can be worked out.  No one suffers in this story but the girls.  I think the bushes could be beat to get enough softball players to field a JV team at a school such as Huffman.  To address something Mr. ETBU stated, great night for ball in Huffman and a huge victory. Standing there taking it all in was pretty dang neat.

What you don't understand about the post by Mr. East Tx, that was huge also.  He may be a 1/2 Huffman Falcon convert now.  Thanks to East Tx for that post. They did hit the ball last night when it counted.  

Looks like there will be a rematch and I hope it is at a neutral site, and please no one come on here and say that that can't be done because I've seen it.

13 you were the talk at the dinner table last night. Junior told mom that he wanted a 13 Pink Floyd shirt. Gone is the Frio shirt and off to a mall to find a 13 Pink Floyd look a like. You jett setter. sp.  ;D

East Tex I have conviced many that read here that you are nothing short of Albert Einstein. Only difference is that you are a good old East Texas BC supporter. Nobody but nobody can get one by you. Hashagen ask me who you were and I just went on and on.  ;D

Guest 11/13Dad

13 you were the talk at the dinner table last night. Junior told mom that he wanted a 13 Pink Floyd shirt. Gone is the Frio shirt and off to a mall to find a 13 Pink Floyd look a like. You jett setter. sp.  ;D

East Tex I have conviced many that read here that you are nothing short of Albert Einstein. Only difference is that you are a good old East Texas BC supporter. Nobody but nobody can get one by you. Hashagen ask me who you were and I just went on and on.  ;D

LOL.  Glad I got to meet 81 himself before he took up station in CF.  I think I got that thing at Kohl's but I bet he can find one online somewhere before he jets off to college.

Guest Gotcha

WOW!!! 160 in football when McDougal got to Huffman.  His first year at Huffman was the 2001 football season if I believe and I had a boy on the varsity.  I do not remember having that strong of a turn out.  I do remember about 110 on the first day of two a days, and then before I knew it there were maybe 90 left.  Then the next year I do not remember that many either.  I could be wrong because I do not have an exact count but can you tell me where you got these numbers from because I need to see the 160 kids who came out.

As for the thread, we are all missing a very important point, Splendora finally lost a district game.  The game was outstanding and both teams are very good.  I would love to have Coach Dorsey coach my daughter when she gets to high school.  I have spoke to her a couple of times and she is an outstanding lady who knows what she is doing.  If the kids do not like playing for her then I do not know who they would like playing for.  Weldon is also a GREAT coach who I have only spoken to once, and would love for my daughter to play for her also.

WOW!!! 160 in football when McDougal got to Huffman.  His first year at Huffman was the 2001 football season if I believe and I had a boy on the varsity.  I do not remember having that strong of a turn out.  I do remember about 110 on the first day of two a days, and then before I knew it there were maybe 90 left.  Then the next year I do not remember that many either.  I could be wrong because I do not have an exact count but can you tell me where you got these numbers from because I need to see the 160 kids who came out.

As for the thread, we are all missing a very important point, Splendora finally lost a district game.  The game was outstanding and both teams are very good.  I would love to have Coach Dorsey coach my daughter when she gets to high school.  I have spoke to her a couple of times and she is an outstanding lady who knows what she is doing.  If the kids do not like playing for her then I do not know who they would like playing for.  Weldon is also a GREAT coach who I have only spoken to once, and would love for my daughter to play for her also.

Gotcha dont have to explain self but remember one saying from the old days. "Power is to be taking not given". Instead of concerning yourself with me how about get all or most of parents and smoke the pipe with your heroes? Communication does wonders between older adults right Gotcha? May even motivate more kids to come out for sports in Huffman.

BTW how many we have in football last year when the year ended? Was that forty seven or my bad year before. My bad yea forty seven so keep up the good work.  ???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder