Scheduling, construction among LU football coach Woodard's plans

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
Woodard wouldn't disclose who the other teams are until the slate is complete, likely within a few days, he said. But he will give a teaser.

"There are four Southland Conference teams," he said.

One is McNeese State. That is a team Woodard wanted from the start because of the traditional rivalry between the schools. He also wanted start-ups Georgia State and South Alabama and landed both. LU will compete as a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division II) independent for 2010. It is scheduled to join the Southland in 2011.

Woodard is on schedule with a lot of things at the moment. He said the architects working on the new football complex are scheduled to meet Monday and that over the next 60-90 days there will striking changes to the areas in and around Cardinal Stadium. There will eventually be a massive new football complex where Higgins Field House now sits. The press box has been renovated and the current grass field will be replaced with FieldTurf.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/scheduling__construction_among_lu_football_coach_woodard_s_plans_03-17-2009.html

Woodard wouldn't disclose who the other teams are until the slate is complete, likely within a few days, he said. But he  LU will compete as a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division II) independent for 2010.

This is the hidden content, please

Is this a newby sports writer?  formerly Div II ??

Guest coachacola

I saw that too but figured it was just sloppy writing.  Is Lee Yobbi someone new and what happened to guy that was from Lake Charles?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that too but figured it was just sloppy writing.  Is Lee Yobbi someone new and what happened to guy that was from Lake Charles?

The guy from LC (Gary Laney), was offered the LSU Basketball beat by the Baton Rouge paper and her took the money and ran.

BTW,

I see where MCNeese's first (or long delayed) trip to Cardinal stadium wil be the last game (as it should be) of the 2011 season.

I'm going to go out on a shoet limb here and say that there will not be an empty seat or peice of grass in the house, and parking will be a nightmare.  :)

So are we going to be able to contend for an SLC championship in 2011, not that we will just saying are we eligible to?

You'd be eligible in 2011, since you are a Div I school from the get-go. The situation is not like UCA's where they are in transition. Pretty certain that year one, you would be eligible for that and the playoffs (if deserving).

So are we going to be able to contend for an SLC championship in 2011, not that we will just saying are we eligible to?

You'd be eligible in 2011, since you are a Div I school from the get-go. The situation is not like UCA's where they are in transition. Pretty certain that year one, you would be eligible for that and the playoffs (if deserving).

Correct.  It is the same situation as Southeastern La. was in when they restarted football.

Doc

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont