What type of offense would you run if...

what would be the most effective offence if you had a small O-line?

i personally think you should run a lot of sweep

Lots of offenses have sweeps built in to them. With a small line, it's tough to run between the tackles and you're in trouble against a fast defense that can run to the ball because they can get to the corners. You better have a good passing attack to keep teams honest and use a lot of misdirection in the running game. I'd probably run a variation of the spread that uses the passing game quite a bit...

what would be the most effective offence if you had a small O-line?

i personally think you should run a lot of sweep

Lots of offenses have sweeps built in to them. With a small line, it's tough to run between the tackles and you're in trouble against a fast defense that can run to the ball because they can get to the corners. You better have a good passing attack to keep teams honest and use a lot of misdirection in the running game. I'd probably run a variation of the spread that uses the passing game quite a bit...

that is my thought as well... dayton does this with typically small O-lines. Lot's of quick passes.

Ya a passing attack is the most logical but i have seen a small line not be able to give the QB any time to throw

You'd need a smart QB that can make quick decisions and run with the ball if he has to. He has to be able to get rid of the ball quickly...just like dayton said. Lots of bubble screens and short passes, etc...kind of like what Texas Tech likes to do.

Ya a passing attack is the most logical but i have seen a small line not be able to give the QB any time to throw

You could run some type of spread out of the shotgun, or if you going under center you would have to use a three step drop with quick passes.

But, a small line doesn't mean you can't run. Good blocking schemes with a lot of misdirection would work.How about some misdirection out of the Notre Dame Box ?

no doubt - run the option.  give your kids angles to block bigger people, don't have to hold blocks for that long - back hits the hole quick.  if you mix in some unbalanced line then you will know exactly how they will line up on defense.  but if you want to spread it out and throw go ahead and be one of the everybody else is doing it gang. 

no doubt - run the option.  give your kids angles to block bigger people, don't have to hold blocks for that long - back hits the hole quick.  if you mix in some unbalanced line then you will know exactly how they will line up on defense.  but if you want to spread it out and throw go ahead and be one of the everybody else is doing it gang. 

this a situation where giving in to peer pressure is ok. ;)

the spread works!!

the spread works!!

I agree that the spread works, but I'm going to use Jasper as an example just because I'm familiar with them and their history over the past 30-35 years. That offense produced a few of the best that the Bulldogs have ever produced, but it took away from their ability to defend and eventually negated the advantage that Jasper enjoyed for a long time over probably 80% of its opponents...its size and strength. Sprinkle in speed at the skill positions and that's what made Jasper one of the better programs in the area for about 20 years, regardless of classification.

It's hard to say whether going back to the veer would give the Bulldogs that advantage again, but the key for any football team that plays spread offenses is to possess the ball themselves and play "keep-away" so that those spread offenses can't hurt them. That's what makes Georgia Tech so competitive in the ACC with their triple option while everyone else runs some variation of the spread.

I know I got off-topic, but when evaluating what you should do offensively, it's important to have a good handle on what your defense can do with whatever depth it has. That was Jasper's problem last year and it will be interesting to see what the new coaching regime there will decide to do.

the spread works!!

I agree that the spread works, but I'm going to use Jasper as an example just because I'm familiar with them and their history over the past 30-35 years. That offense produced a few of the best that the Bulldogs have ever produced, but it took away from their ability to defend and eventually negated the advantage that Jasper enjoyed for a long time over probably 80% of its opponents...its size and strength. Sprinkle in speed at the skill positions and that's what made Jasper one of the better programs in the area for about 20 years, regardless of classification.

It's hard to say whether going back to the veer would give the Bulldogs that advantage again, but the key for any football team that plays spread offenses is to possess the ball themselves and play "keep-away" so that those spread offenses can't hurt them. That's what makes Georgia Tech so competitive in the ACC with their triple option while everyone else runs some variation of the spread.

I know I got off-topic, but when evaluating what you should do offensively, it's important to have a good handle on what your defense can do with whatever depth it has. That was Jasper's problem last year and it will be interesting to see what the new coaching regime there will decide to do.

how did it take away their ability to defend?

Dayton defends the run very well.... we struggle against good spread teams,... but who doesn't? Take Longview, great defense against the run but LT put it on them... another example, Everman had the #1 4a defense in the state but got torched by Sulphur Springs.... both of these teams run smash mouth offenses and while it may have kept the score a little lower than it could've been they were essentially defenseless against stopping the spread.

The guy just asked a question about offensive football. Instead of mocking him or criticizing his spelling, help him out. We're all here to exchange ideas and learn from each other. Come on guys...

Yeah thats what I thought too....Why do some always have to bring attention to ones spelling ???

We all knew what he meant....May God bring peace over you who have issues with mispelled words ;D

The guy just asked a question about offensive football. Instead of mocking him or criticizing his spelling, help him out. We're all here to exchange ideas and learn from each other. Come on guys...

Yeah thats what I thought too....Why do some always have to bring attention to ones spelling ???

We all knew what he meant....May God bring peace over you who have issues with mispelled words ;D

Offense is the American spelling; offence, the British.

He's just using the Queen's English, that's all.

your offense would require a lot of discipline. it would help to have gifted skill players, especially the QB. if he has good escape abilities, it would make your life more pleasant. ;D good luck to any coach faced with this dilemma, success will definitely earn him coach of the year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami