do coaches still beat players.

speveto

My grandfather, god rest his soul, told me that when he played football the coach would bring a board to practice an beat the players with it when they made a mistake. He said that when they were in the shower after practice, everyones rear end would be bleeding. I  was wondering if this tactic is still used. 

My grandfather, god rest his soul, told me that when he played football the coach would bring a board to practice an beat the players with it when they made a mistake. He said that when they were in the shower after practice, everyones rear end would be bleeding. I  was wondering if this tactic is still used. 

um.... i'll venture a big fat NO on this one.

Never have seen it since I've been coaching...not even a good facemask grabbing come to think of it. When I was in H.S. we had an asst coach that would pop you in the gut, the Header always chewed this huge wad of Redman and he would literally spray you when he was chewing you out, but in all honesty, I really can't remember anything else. I think, no, I KNOW, coaches are too liability conscious these days. 

Are you seriously asking if that still happens?

The AG teachers awhile back had hickory wood baseball bats planed(shaved down)to 1 in.thick at the barrel end and could lift you off your feet with the pop.Coaches just ran us up & down bleachers till our butts were tired.Basketball coaches ran us backwards up & down the court till we had heel blisters from our converse tennis shoes @ Dayton in 60's.

Have any of you seen the movie Year of the Bull? The documentary? Some of the things (the coaches hitting the players trying to get them amped up or them cursing the heck out of em) that went on in the movie between the coaches and the players is somethin i am willing to bet still happens all over but NOT BEATINGS.

Shoot, I got licks while I played at Central...and my brother has gotten his fair share as well!  It was suprising, when we moved here that it was still in practice!  But I don't think it's like the FRAT dayz and nobody is being killeed; it's just a reminder to do right all the time!

"roughrider"  Yes  I`m  very serious.  I hesitated to bring  this subject up for a long time, but when I read about the coach who is on trial for the  terrible death of one of his young players, who died from a lack of water no a hot day.(as i read)  I decided not to hold back any longer.        My grandfather also told me that  "not letting players have water during practice and games"  was a common practice.  It is amazing  to me what some of these kids will go through to get to play football on friday night. 

"roughrider"   Yes   I`m  very serious.  I hesitated to bring  this subject up for a long time, but when I read about the coach who is on trial for the  terrible death of one of his young players, who died from a lack of water no a hot day.(as i read)   I decided not to hold back any longer.         My grandfather also told me that   "not letting players have water during practice and games"  was a common practice.  It is amazing  to me what some of these kids will go through to get to play football on friday night. 

You will not have your job very long if you exhibit this behavior.  You also mention the coach in Kentucky.  You will find that most if not all of the coaches in southeast Texas are very aware of the heat and humidity.  My dad played football in the 60's, and they did not have water breaks, they had ice breaks.  I will tell you this, they hauled hay and had other farm(outside) jobs.  They were in extremely good shape.  They did not stay in the house and play x-box. Remember, Corey Stringer from the Vikings?  He died from the heat in Minnesota, I think it was 90 degrees.  Was it the fact it was hot or that he was like 6'" and 340?    Also just saw an report from feb of last year, that Stringers wife is sueing the NFL and Riddell because the helmets did not have enough ventalation.  Could it have something to do with the dreads on his head.  A friend of mine in college came in with long hair(OL type) and had an episode.  Next day of practice he had a flat top.Just my thoughts

I think what your body becomes use to is important possibly.  Back in the day, my Father worked at Gulf refinery outside, while my mother worked at a bank.  In those days we had no AC, just an attic fan. My Father would find the house a nice cool 80-85 degrees, while my Mom was hot because she was used to AC at the bank.  Kids these days (as posted by Shermdog) do play inside(x-box)  much more than they play outside. Back in the day, I had to play outside.   

let`s  pretend.  you are  16  years old.  a grown man who out weighs  you  100  lbs. (football coach)  walks up and slugs you in the mouth.  when you wipe the blood from your mouth you discover  12  teeth have been knocked

"through" your lips.  when my grandfather told me this story, i could still see the 12 scars in his lips.  would you call this a "BEATING"?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83